View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Radar question Reply with quote

I've never had radar on a boat but now that we are spending months boater homing we've decided to have one installed on our 25. We are going with the Garmin 18 xhd which will integrate with the 4208 MFD that came with the C-Otter. Marine Metals at Williston Florida will be fabricating the mount. The mount will need to pivot the radar in order to have clearance to fit through my shed door.

Now for my question. Will the present location of the all around light (For me the anchor light) cause a problem with seeing forward with the radar? I've seen some photos on this site where they stay there but many folks add a light on the rear of the radar riser mount. Thanks in advance...Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
My new radar is a couple feet behind the anchor light. I was told that was the best spot for it. If you want yours closer to the light then maybe you could "shim" it somehow and get a higher angle, if you think that you need that.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason
Great looking radar on your boat. I need to put mine forward so that I can still put my dinghy on top and so that it can be rotated forward for door clearance. I will be using a riser to raise the radar about 6". This will put my anchor light about a foot or less away. Of course durning the day it can be removed. However with the new radar we may run more at night than in the past. I'll add an all around light on the rear of the riser for my enclosed radar if I must. Just don't know for sure what the effect that close will be.

Sounds like you're going to be putting your 25 away for the season. You may want to consider trailering down to Florida next March for our Hontoon Island C-Dory gathering. We get "brats" from all over. The St. John's river is a great place to explore.

Thanks....Tom
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Hi Jason
Great looking radar on your boat. I need to put mine forward so that I can still put my dinghy on top and so that it can be rotated forward for door clearance. I will be using a riser to raise the radar about 6". This will put my anchor light about a foot or less away. Of course durning the day it can be removed. However with the new radar we may run more at night than in the past. I'll add an all around light on the rear of the riser for my enclosed radar if I must. Just don't know for sure what the effect that close will be.

Sounds like you're going to be putting your 25 away for the season. You may want to consider trailering down to Florida next March for our Hontoon Island C-Dory gathering. We get "brats" from all over. The St. John's river is a great place to explore.

Thanks....Tom

Thanks, Im still getting used to all the radar features but it's awesome having another layer of safety while on the water.

Yeah, getting down to a C Brat gathering is on my bucket list. Although, I wish there was a mid Atlantic get together. There's lots of Brats from VA, MD, PA, NY/NJ. Plus a few of us New Englanders !
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
The anchor light stanchion will present no problem, because of the width of the magnetron. (18" vs 7/8"), so it will see right thru it. I have had aluminum masts which were about 8" x 12" and no effect on the radar. One of the other keys is that the objects are round, and prevent little echo surface.

I would suggest if possible to go with the Garmin 24xHD, it is a generation newer than the plain 18HD.

My experience with small boat radar spans over 35 years, and a number of vessels.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob

I know with radar "bigger really is better" but I have already paid for the Garmin 18 XHD radar. At least it is the newest model. I'll skip the light mount on the riser and stick with my original light. My boat goes to Marine Metals next Monday for the folding mount if Hurricane Mathew does not mess things up too bad around central Florida. I'll be securing things on Thursday.

Troy said he would have the boat done by the end of the week. IF THAT HAPPENS we would be able to make the Apalachicola Gathering if you still have space. Had a great time last year....we were just hoping to get some Florida Keys SCUBA diving in this fall. Not going to happen with the weather.

Jason...we always get some north east brats to join us. It's a drive but I tow my boat to Lake Superior every year for some summer boating. No excuses! Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Now for my question. Will the present location of the all around light (For me the anchor light) cause a problem with seeing forward with the radar? I've seen some photos on this site where they stay there but many folks add a light on the rear of the radar riser mount. Thanks in advance...Tom

Hi Tom and Joyce and Congratulations on choosing to add another layer of safety to your boating experience. You will learn to appreciate the advantages of have a 360 eyeball looking where you can't see continuously.

The radar will see through the light mount, or an inflatable OK. What won't happen, is the light will not show through the radar. Keep in mind that that "anchor light" is required by USCG to be seen 360 at certain times, (at anchor during dark hours, or when visibility is limited), so be sure that it is elevated, well above the raydome.

I would agree with Bob as to using the 24 if at all possible, as it will give you better range and definition. You don't really need to see 25+ miles away very often, but 12 miles and closer are most practical working ranges.

Just a hint on the mount. If it has flat planes instead of round tubing it can also help increase your radar signature, depending on the design. Include a radar reflector at any rate.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
As long as you are getting the xHD in the 18, it should be good. Just a little better discrimination with the 24".

Yes, any radar reflector will help. We found that with the newer radars, we can pick up some really small targets. I was using the 1996 JVC radar on my son's 25 this summer, and it was amazing how good it was for a unit that old. (Probably not used much!)

The simple "Davis Echomaster" ion the "Rain Catch" position under an radar arch is both economical and reasonably efficient. To beat it you probably will have to go to the $900 large "Tri-Lens" reflector--which is about as large as the radar dome!

We used something equivalent to the current large EchoMax (29" long: x 13" diameter) on our large ketch. This was up about 50 feet off the water, and we could be seen by large ships at a range of 13 miles. For most of us, a range of 3 miles is all we will worry about.

Tom, Hope you both can make it to Apalachicola! We also hope that there is no hurricane damage in your area!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven/Jason, that's the first C-Dory Ive seen with a 4' rotating antenna. Awesome, but overkill.

Boris
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
South of Heaven/Jason, that's the first C-Dory Ive seen with a 4' rotating antenna. Awesome, but overkill.

Boris

LOL!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

Boris

Depends on whether or not you fish. Those antennae provide a bit better discrimination and make it easier to detect flocks of birds over the water (good for locating tuna).

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm repeating what you already read.

I have that radar on a boat at work and have similar lights, etc. a dinghy with aluminum oars attached, spotlights, and other antennae and it doesn't bother the radar a bit.

Radar can't really see round things very well. It likes flat surfaces and right angles.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the radar can see round things, but you are right, not so well. I think the real difference maker is how close they are. Anything within a certain distance, like 10 feet or something, is not imaged, as the return is too soon. I don't know exactly how it works, just that it does.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I knew that I could get the help I needed from fellow brats! I'll post photos of the radar setup when it's done.

Back to hurricane prep.....glad I don't live on the shoreline! But one never knows.......Tom
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just what the radar "sees," it is also what can see you... as in: is your anchor light still visible all around, without being blocked by the radar? Our 25 had the tall radar arch, and needed the anchor light behind and above the radar dome in order to be seen by other boats at night. The stock light would not have been seen from behind the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: