The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting heat to the v berth from the cabin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
Interesting situation.

As RobLL mentioned, the challenge is to get warmer air from a larger area (the cabin) into a smaller area (V-berth). Good as Calfamo fans are they may not be up to the task of blowing air into a smaller confined space (i.e. the V-berth).

Try this. Sit the Calfamo fan on the deck in front (or on top) of the portapoddy and aim it AFT into the cabin. It seems to me that moving air from a small space into a larger space may be easier than the other way around. By doing this the warmer cabin air might more naturally be drawn back into the V-berth. Might be worth a try....

Best,
Casey&Mary
Back in The Villages after a summer of "pickup truck camping."

Right. and the lower the fan, the cooler the air. Aim it aft and up slightly to get some air mixing accomplished in the cabin. Makes good sense.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point but one I couldn't resist.

South of Heaven, Jason, is asking for a C-Dory 25. No porta-potti, which is the purpose of the 25.

It's a good idea, but set the fan on top of the V-berth cushion.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casen, South Haven, has a 25--no portipotty.
We have always slept well, including in AK, with good sleeping bags, and some insulation on the sides of the hull of the V Berth area. We use cheap back packing pads from Wal Mart, both under the cushions and along the sides of the V Berth.

We changed out our Caframo fans to the "Maestro" model. It moves up to 225 cu feet per min, has a variable speed control, 3 blades; there is a remote control, we put over each berth, so easy to control. There is a white, and a red LED light--perfect for reading or whatever... Ours are mounted right up the the corner, infant of the bulkhead between the main and forward cabin--so some of the air is drawn from the cabin.

When at a dock, we run a 110 volt cube heater at low or high, depending on temps, and it will heat the boat very well. We never left the Wallas running all night. First one up (usually me) started the wallas in the AM.

If I was going to run another fan in the main cabin, it would be up forward, to bring warm air down--We use the Fan-Tastic "Endless Breeze" fan. It uses 1.1 amps in low mode, and moves a lot of air. This is the same fan used in the "Vents" of RV's. Just keeping the air circulating in the main cabin, is a great idea when heating. We also us this fan in the fore hatch on warm days, when we are not using air conditioning.

If you are planing to use the boat all winter long, then install a dedicated forced air heater--such as Espar, with ducting to the V Berth--I still would have a good sleeping bag!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Casen, South Haven, has a 25--no portipotty.
We have always slept well, including in AK, with good sleeping bags, and some insulation on the sides of the hull of the V Berth area. We use cheap back packing pads from Wal Mart, both under the cushions and along the sides of the V Berth.

We changed out our Caframo fans to the "Maestro" model. It moves up to 225 cu feet per min, has a variable speed control, 3 blades; there is a remote control, we put over each berth, so easy to control. There is a white, and a red LED light--perfect for reading or whatever... Ours are mounted right up the the corner, infant of the bulkhead between the main and forward cabin--so some of the air is drawn from the cabin.

When at a dock, we run a 110 volt cube heater at low or high, depending on temps, and it will heat the boat very well. We never left the Wallas running all night. First one up (usually me) started the wallas in the AM.

If I was going to run another fan in the main cabin, it would be up forward, to bring warm air down--We use the Fan-Tastic "Endless Breeze" fan. It uses 1.1 amps in low mode, and moves a lot of air. This is the same fan used in the "Vents" of RV's. Just keeping the air circulating in the main cabin, is a great idea when heating. We also us this fan in the fore hatch on warm days, when we are not using air conditioning.

If you are planing to use the boat all winter long, then install a dedicated forced air heater--such as Espar, with ducting to the V Berth--I still would have a good sleeping bag!

Bob, I'm not using the boat all winter (although I would love to!). I have tons of old camping gear from my camping days but instead of using my Trek eco sleeping bag I decided to use my down blanket instead.

I like the idea of putting another layer between the glass and the cushions. I may try that. What do you think about the idea of permanently insulating the walls?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Be sure your down bag down not get damp. They are a pain to dry and will never not smell again.

NOT ON THE THREAD LINE BUT:
REI and other places I'm sure, have Fleece sleeping bag liners. I used one this summer, and it works great, AND you can easily slip it out of the bag, and put in into the laundry. Keeps the sleeping bag fresh.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We use an Ecofan on our Wallas. It runs on the heat of the surface you set it on. You would have to have the Wallas top up to use this type of fan. No battery drain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ecofan+for+wood+stove&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Another vote for the Eco Fan...

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the EcoFan! Im using it as we speak; sleeping in the boat tonight at the marina. Some of the folks here are doing a "last Saturday night" get together.

The EcoFan works pretty good for what its designed for. If I needed a winter option then I'd rethink it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: