The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting heat to the v berth from the cabin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Getting heat to the v berth from the cabin? Reply with quote

Is there a simple way to get heat into my v berth from my Wallas? The cabin heater works beautifully but the v berth and bathroom don't reap the benefit of it. I don't care about the bathroom being chilly.

I also have a basic CO detector in the cabin.

I forget the model number of my Wallas but here's a pic. It's a cooktop and with the lid down it blows hot air into the cabin.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use an Ecofan on our Wallas. It runs on the heat of the surface you set it on. You would have to have the Wallas top up to use this type of fan. No battery drain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ecofan+for+wood+stove&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We use an Ecofan on our Wallas. It runs on the heat of the surface you set it on. You would have to have the Wallas top up to use this type of fan. No battery drain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ecofan+for+wood+stove&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

So where does the fan mount to? Also, my model of Wallas says that the lid must be down to use it as a heater.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecofan's don't mount. They sit on the hot surface. Won't work in rough conditions.

For forced air heat into the V-berth look at installing an Espar or Webasto type of diesel forced air furnace. Many on this site have done that, including me.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1447&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Ecofan's don't mount. They sit on the hot surface. Won't work in rough conditions.

For forced air heat into the V-berth look at installing an Espar or Webasto type of diesel forced air furnace. Many on this site have done that, including me.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1447&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Thanks. I think going the EcoFan route would work.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, You might think about adding a small fan at the companion way (Entrance to the V-birth), that would draw some of the cabin heat forward. I don't remember who makes it but there is at least one that has a folding mount; swing it down for use, and up to be out of the way. It also rotates.

The advantage with the EcoFAn is that it draws NO electrical power. It generates it's own power from the heat of the surface. After talking to the Wallas rep at the Seattle boat show about using one, (His comment was that the fan base is smaller than the burner, and there should be at least one on each burner to avoid "overheating" of the surface.) He thought it would be a good idea to use one on the burner that was not involved in cooking, if that time came.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the use of the ecofan, scan Marine suggested that I not use one after repairing the Wallace on our 22. Inside the Wallace is something called a heat shield I believe it was seeverely warped. At night we would leave the Wallace on low and place the ecofan on the higher temperature plate, sometimes it would have to be moved to the side a bit to work properly, this would cause overheating on the Wallace due to the lack of heat transfer from the ceramic surface.
Scan Marine suggested we just leave the lid down and run the wallas on low it draws very little electricity.
As for making your rebirth more inviting and cozy I would suggest you insulate, I have examples in my album of both spray on and Marine carpeting applied to both our 22 concurrent 25.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use both an ecofan to aim the heat towards the V-berth and a small calfamo fan on the helmsman's seat to get the heat into the V-berth. Works fairly well.

I cut a hole into the bulkhead and installed a 12 v computer fan. Doesn't work too well.

That's it short of installing a forced air system. We haven't done that because it uses the same space as the wallas: exhaust, fuel, etc. I think Pat Anderson installed one in the aft closet.

Boris
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use 1 or 2 Calfamo fans with suction cups aimed at the v-berth. One between the sink and the Wallis.. The second on the table of needed. The fans are very handy. We use them for pushing the air from our window AC into the v-berth also. On humid days we use them for circulation.....helps keep the condensation down. Come to think of it ....it's a rare day that we don't use one. They use minimal 12 volt power. Works for us on the C-otter!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a fan, the Wallas will accumulate warm air high in the cabin with
minimal mixing with cooler air near the floor. The V-berth is lower, closer
to floor level, than the cabin top where the heat is located. Wanting it warmer
here in the V-berth is understandable especially when it's frosty outside.

Accomplish this by mixing higher warmer air with lower cooler air not directed
straight into the V-berth by using a small fan on the galley table directed down
at the floor towards the companionway door and it works nicely for me.

Aye.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Getting heat to the v berth from the cabin? Reply with quote

We used a Caframo Sirocco fan mounted just inside the entrance to the V berth. This would allow it to be swung out into the V berth entrance or out of the way when you were not using it. They are low amp draw have three speeds and can be reversed to blow or out of the V berth. This nice when hot sitting at the dinette. They also can set to shut off after a few hours or run continuously. About a 100 dollars from Defender.
D.D.

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to move heat around. I have used this strategy in balancing heat/cooling in a house but not a boat.

The first way has been discussed. The second way is to move cold air out of the V berth aft. It will of necessity move warmer air into the berth. This is sometimes easier to do than directly moving warmer air.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. The fan(s) are just the simple answer I was looking for. I'll try that ASAP and report back.

Breausaw: I also like the suggestion about insulating the v berth. That may be on my winter list. Does that cut out some of the noise too (soundproofing) ? Or would I have to add a different material for that?
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

Breausaw: I also like the suggestion about insulating the v berth. That may be on my winter list. Does that cut out some of the noise too (soundproofing) ? Or would I have to add a different material for that?[/quote]

The Delta T made a huge difference in soundproofing, mostly due to the fact that I also sprayed the top of the cabin and portions of the sides. The other Plus associated with the spray-on Delta T iinsulation was that I was able to paint over it with a quality latex paint; this look good and made cleaning easier.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1329&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

The flex forum has done an excellent job of insulating and soundproofing in the V birth on the 25.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1789&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
To transfer heat into the 25 v-berth I placed the air return for the Wallas DT30 furnace all the way up toward the bow in the V birth. The wallas cook top stove didn't produce enough cabin Heat for us in the 25 so I installed the Wallas furnace, which has been a great investment.
By far the best part associated with insulation on both boats was the elimination of surface condensation.
The flex forum was relatively easy to install because like the name it flexes and stretches in all directions. After four seasons it looks like the day I installed it. I bought the product through an upholstery shop here in Anchorage.
Think this is the same stuff: http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/products/1601-Black-Flexform-Carpet-80"-Wide.html

Good luck on your project
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting situation.

As RobLL mentioned, the challenge is to get warmer air from a larger area (the cabin) into a smaller area (V-berth). Good as Calfamo fans are they may not be up to the task of blowing air into a smaller confined space (i.e. the V-berth).

Try this. Sit the Calfamo fan on the deck in front (or on top) of the portapoddy and aim it AFT into the cabin. It seems to me that moving air from a small space into a larger space may be easier than the other way around. By doing this the warmer cabin air might more naturally be drawn back into the V-berth. Might be worth a try....

Best,
Casey&Mary
Back in The Villages after a summer of "pickup truck camping."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: