View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delphinus

City/Region: Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dori Den
Photos: Dori-Den
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Boynton Inlet FL to Port Lucaya Bahamas in C-Dory 25 Reply with quote

Sorry for taking so long to report.... I still think about the voyages (there and back) every day.... It was a dream come true and I am not awake yet!

First crossing: Boynton Inlet FL to Port Lucaya Bahamas (our course = 94 miles, one- way).
Back again: Port Lucaya to West Palm/Lakeworth Inlet, then south on intra-coastal to Boynton.

First, I just want to thank Bob (Thataway), Jason (South of Heaven), Mike (Westward) and all the kind C-Brats who have given me great advice over the past few years!!!

Four Co-Captains: Gerry, Dick, Daryl and Juanita Smile

Pilot: Gerry Ballough
Navigator (charts and GPS) and relief Pilot: Richard Raudabaugh (Dad)
Invaluable Crew: Daryl Ballough (Wife)
Invaluable Crew: Juanita Raudabaugh (Mom)

We were all alone on the ocean (few boats sighted except near land), independent, chose our own weather windows (based on several weather sites, great internet articles and critically important advice), etc.,...and we thank God the ocean was kind to us!! The Gulf Stream was an amazing sapphire blue!

Photos and full details to follow!

Sincerely and respectfully,
Gerry
"Dori Den"

Comfortably Numb

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfortably Numb
Photos: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be anxious to hear more. I spent a good part of my youth in Boynton and Delray Beach (Atlantic High School/Class of 1977). Went out of the Boynton Inlet many, many times, and plan to do so again. Used to fish off the Big Ben captained by Benny Osgood, and the Sea Mist III owned by the Hall family.

All of the old maps of Boynton Inlet warned that passage was hazardous, and should only be attempted by captains of experience. They have made different changes to make make passage safer...it's much better today. They lost the old drift boat Two Georges in that inlet in the 60's...several died...it was a big deal.

It sounds like you had a great trip!

Greenville, Illinois

“For this is how the suicide of nations begins, when sentimentality prevails over sense.”
- Roger Scruton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: