The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

DQOTD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: DQOTD Reply with quote

Dumb question of the day.

Does everyone carry a spare prop?

We've always had sailboats and never carried one.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare but dont carry it unless cruising for more than one day
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a stupid question.
Seems to me comes under the heading of "self rescue"
I carry a spare prop, and tools, and spare hardware such as thrust washer, nut, cotter pins to change the prop.
My reasoning: even with excellent navigation skills, props can hit debris. Also, props fail because the hubs "spin". I have assisted more boats because of that failure than due to destroying a prop by hitting an object/the bottom. 3 for the former, 1 for the latter. A limited sample!
The imperative to carry a spare may depend on single engine vs twin, kicker vs paddles..........with a sailboat, one always has an alternative means of propulsion.
If you decide to carry a spare, I would advise practicing changing the prop in a realistic as possible fashion. That is, leaning over the motor, squatting on the swim platform or such like. You will not have a dock handy when/if your prop needs to be changed!

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always. (That would include a spare castle nut, washers and pins, as well as the necessary tools and grease). A prop may be the most likely thing to "break" on your engine - and whatever your level of knowledge, experience or ability, it is something almost anyone can fix without special diagnostics, tools or training.

There are several threads on the site about what else people choose to carry in the way of emergency or repair items.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those with twins already have a "spare prop" permanently on board. Although most C-Dory's with twins won't plane on a single engine, they can still get home quite comfortably. I have spare set of props for the Tomcat but I don't normally carry them on board. Since the engines are counter rotating, I'd need to have two spares on board in order to make it sensible. If I were to take a long cruise, I'd pack both but for fishing (even for long offshore trips), I don't.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for the main and one for the kicker/dinghy motor as well. Plus one for the electric trolling motor we use on the bow.

Three spares for three motors and the parts and tools to change them. Unless a person lacked the knowledge to change one, or the will to gain that knowledge, I can't imagine why a boater would not carry a spare even if it was a used banged up spare. The best running outboard motor on the planet only makes noise without a prop. OK, maybe some voltage as well.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies.

Willow does have twin Honda 40's.

But if we were out for an extended period of time, the loss of one would not be disastrous but would be inconvenient. I've owned BMW motorcycles for a long time and always wrench them myself so changing a prop isn't a daunting task.

The prop has 11 1/4 X 13 on it. Most sailing motor props I've dealt with are always whole numbers, w/o quarter inches. The both look OEM and in excellent shape w/o any dings on the edges and seem smooth running when underway.

When we head off on an extended trip, I will pick up a spare to insure that I won't need it. Laughing
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also carry a spare prop. Actually two. One for the main and one for the Kicker. And yes, I have needed that main spare twice while out away from home. I also have several spares at home. On the boat I also carry the spare mounting hardware and a hub. (I use props with separate hubs.) The mounting hardware most likely isn't going to get damaged, however too great of chance of watching the hardware sink when changing a prop out on the water. Colby
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
Always. (That would include a spare castle nut, washers and pins, as well as the necessary tools and grease). A prop may be the most likely thing to "break" on your engine - and whatever your level of knowledge, experience or ability, it is something almost anyone can fix without special diagnostics, tools or training.

There are several threads on the site about what else people choose to carry in the way of emergency or repair items.

I've been very unsuccessful in searching on this site and need a little help please.

If I wanted to see only the posts that have the phrase "spare prop", what format would I enter those words in the search box? I tried spare+prop and didn't get the expected results.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
NORO LIM wrote:

I've been very unsuccessful in searching on this site and need a little help please.

If I wanted to see only the posts that have the phrase "spare prop", what format would I enter those words in the search box? I tried spare+prop and didn't get the expected results.

Use the Google custom search box and enter the phrase "spare prop" WITH THE QUOTES INCLUDED. This will look for posts in which that exact phrase occurs.
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: dqotd Reply with quote

I carry a 2nd prop but it is a different pitch than the original one as the 2nd provides better performance at altitude in lakes such as Yellowstone. Lots of advice here so I will only suggest that I also carry an inexpensive volt/ohm meter which doesn't take up much space and is very handy to track down electrical gremlins.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I carry a spare, and on long cruises, I carry 2. They are both the same, due to the twin 40's, but it is not impossible to find a rock with one on one day, and then a rock with the other on the next day. The second day warranted a change, First day was just a dry run.

In the CBRATS Search box type in exactly like this

spare AND prop

Check the "Search for all terms" button, on the second line I think and click search button on the bottom line.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from sailing and never carried a spare prop then. But that's because there were sails. Now there are no sails, so I feel as thought I want more backups in the engine department. Part of that is carrying a spare prop.

Another thing is that on the sailboats I've taken out of sight of land, the prop has been fairly protected (behind keel, etc.). Not so on our C-Dorys.

But there is another reason. Altitude. If I used my normal sea-level prop on Lake Powell (which is at around 4,000'), I would not be able to make the correct range of WOT (wide-open throttle) RPM, as specified in the engine manual (typically 5,000 to 6,000 RPM, but not always). So I have a "Powell prop." Hence when I'm on Powell the sea-level prop is my spare, and when at sea level, the Powell prop is the spare. If I went on a long sea level trip (Great Loop, for example), I'd carry a spare sea-level prop.

Side discussion, please just ignore if you already know all this. And although I get the concept, it's possible I will use technically wrong words to explain it.

At any rate, the way boats keep from "lugging" (running too fast at too low of an RPM) is by having the correct prop -- since we can't shift up through the gears like you can in a car. The way you know you have things set so they are not lugging at any speed is by selecting a prop that will get you within the specified RPM range at WOT (wide open throttle). The range is in the engine manual, but on many of our outboards it's 5,000-6,000 RPM. Better to be in the upper half of the range.

Even if you never actually boat at WOT (most of us don't), you still have to be able to pass that "test" of RPMs attained at WOT, or else you'll actually be lugging the engine at all speeds, not just at WOT. I mention that as I've heard people say "oh, but I won't be lugging because I don't cruise at WOT." But that's not accurate.

The way you change the RPM figure you can make at WOT is to change or adjust the prop. The right one will make, say, 5,600 RPM at WOT. Then you know you are good. Altitude reduces it. So for example if I run my "normal" prop at sea level and make 5,600 RPM at WOT, that same prop might only make me 4,700 on Lake Powell at 4,000'. So I have a different prop that will make something like 5,300 RPM at WOT on Powell. That's a hair closer to the lower end of the acceptable range than I would like, ideally, but it's okay.

BTW this is not just for outboards. Where I used to work we made many "out and back" runs to check WOT on larger boats with inboards. Not as easy/cheap to change a prop on those, but still important for the engines to make rated RPM at WOT. The out and back is to even out any current/wind/etc.

Loading may also affect things, so good to have something like your average typical load when making your WOT testing runs.

SB
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
<stuff clipped>

In the CBRATS Search box type in exactly like this

spare AND prop

Check the "Search for all terms" button, on the second line I think and click search button on the bottom line.

Harvey
SleepyC

As an aside, there are two reasons IMO for using the Google search box on the site. 1) It works better and most importantly 2) I use Google all the time for other purposes and it's easier to just use the same search box and syntax that I'm used to for the vast majority of my other searches.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both main and kicker along w/ the proper wrenches to change them and cotter pins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: