The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

My new 25 mods (video too)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: My new 25 mods (video too) Reply with quote

Here's a quick video I took today at dusk of some of my new mods. The video quality isn't that great; I took it with 1080 but I couldnt get it any better on YouTube than I think 320p?

Anyway, here's what myself and my mechanic have been up to for the past 2 weeks (more my mechanic than me! Hes actually a retired electrical engineer so hopefully he doesn't take offense to the mechanic moniker. Lol.)

MODS:
1. FULL Lonseal teak and holly floor in the cabin. The aisle, steps and dinette area. WOW! What a difference that made....

2. COMPLETE Raymarine open array radar system. I bought a used Raymarine 4k open array and a used Raymarine Pathfinder RL70c plus unit. The technology is a bit dated but the price was right and its just what I wanted. Im planning to do some long distance and multi day trips so a good radar thats USER FRIENDLY was important.

3. Added another 8ft Shakespeare vhf antenna and mount. Now i have twin 8 footers. I'm still only running one radio at the moment but the other antenna is wired and ready for another one if I choose to go that route.

4. Added another group 31 deep cycle battery and rewired.

5. Added 2 flush mounted speakers w/ remote controlled LEDs to the cockpit . Sounds and looks great !

6. Added blue LEDs accents to the lower aisle in the cabin.

7. Added LED accent lighting to above the side cabin windows.

Not shown in the video but also going to mount 2 teak cup holders, teak dinette accessories and some galley stuff.

Here's the video. I'll take a better one when i have more time! Ill also take some good photos this week and put them in my album.

https://youtu.be/SRkah8-VZZ0

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

Looks good ah FANCY. Like the floor, that does look nice. The blue lights are a bit much for me but it looks like it floats your boat so enjoy. I'm curious what the range on that open array radar is.

A recommendation for that unused VHF antenna. Put it to good use with an ICOM M-506 with the AIS receiver and the 2 minute last call recording. That way all that extra wind resistance is being put to good use Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Jason,

Looks good ah FANCY. Like the floor, that does look nice. The blue lights are a bit much for me but it looks like it floats your boat so enjoy. I'm curious what the range on that open array radar is.

A recommendation for that unused VHF antenna. Put it to good use with an ICOM M-506 with the AIS receiver and the 2 minute last call recording. That way all that extra wind resistance is being put to good use Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Thanks Harvey. Yes, the blue lights aren't for everyone! But they actually have a second purpose, they are perfect at night when at anchor for ambient light. Last night I slept on the boat and hardly ever used the cabin lights. Just the blue's.

The range of the open array is 72 nm. Im still learning all the advanced setup features of the RL70c(headunit) but it's working great and has a big readable color display. When I take the boat out today (I 'm on vacation!) I'll start playing around with the different radar setup settings.

I'll probably add a 2nd mounted VHF radio at some point but its not a priority. I actually have my old Cobra handheld VHF on board too. So technically I am running 2 radios. Lol. Although I think the handheld is only 5 watts or something.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I converted all (3) of my cabin and V-birth lights to LEDs and put in ones that give an option for white or red light. The thought was two fold, decrease the electrical drain from the lights, and have the red for night vision preservation. As many others probably know, the red works well for that, but if you are looking at charts, photos or anything with red in the printed material, that becomes problematic.

In practical use, I found that I rarely use any onboard lighting. Up north, sunset isn't until after 10 PM and it is light close to 11 or later and it is getting light at 04.

I found the light I used most, was an LED headlamp with white or red available.

Enjoy your lights, they do add a nice touch.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New video. I deleted the old one. This time i made a conscious effort to move my phone slower. Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dD49JFGfk
NCPete

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: POMPANO
Photos: POMPANO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Challenging docking at your slip? Reply with quote

Jason-nice clean boat-I know you are proud!
I think I got a glance at the ingoing tide off your stern?
Looks like a slip that will give you plenty of boat handling experience/practice?
Enjoy your nice boat!
Pete

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Challenging docking at your slip? Reply with quote

NCPete wrote:
Jason-nice clean boat-I know you are proud!
I think I got a glance at the ingoing tide off your stern?
Looks like a slip that will give you plenty of boat handling experience/practice?
Enjoy your nice boat!
Pete

Oh my god, you have no idea! Lol. My slip is crazy! Yes, the tides RIP through there. All the water from the bay is being forced into a narrow section by the bridges. Ive got it down to a science now....Finally. I basically have to come back to the Marina at an outgoing tide or slack tide . Then the tide will push me into the slip. If I come in at the wrong time then the tide will push me away from the dock AND fast too. Its a violent current! Im not exaggerating.

The other problem is that my slip is only a 23 foot finger. Its very tight. Oh, I also have a bridge height clearance issue at high tide! The RR bridge is like 7 feet at high tide.

I WILL NOT BE BRINGING MY BELOVED 25 TO THIS MARINA NEXT YEAR. 😃 (im only here now because the marina owner let me stay here for the rest of the season without paying for my extra length. I had my 19 here. Honestly, he's not doing me any favors though. Its a headache! Ill be pulling the boat out in 3 weeks or so)
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Nice video. I like Very Happy Very good job. Nice mods, Even spotted the C-BRAT burgee, and yes that tidal current is really ripping by. That must be fun.

The boat looks great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: