View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Dumb question of the day Reply with quote

In cockpit, looking forward, centered just above the floor and directly under the door.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump? Reply with quote

On my 2004 C-22 Cruiser that would be where the water from the cockpit drains into the spot containing the bilge pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense if the cockpit floor is sloped forward. Thanks
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Dumb question Reply with quote

Since I had an '01 22, my recollection is that is a drain from the cabin. I installed a drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank, after having to clean out the growing green things once. I found that tank tough to clean out and kind of a pain in the butt to remove and install. I had a plastic line that I connected to the the tank drain. It would fit through the orifice and out the cockpit drain. Result: end of things growing in the water tank. I put a 2nd bilge pump under the splash deck between the fuel tanks, and rarely had anything to pump out with the primary bilge pump.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that plug can be removed so you can hose out the cabin..or .. remove the screws holding the clear tube that displays the water level and route it through that hole to drain the fresh water tank
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jack & Ken, I believe it's intended to be used on our 2000 22 CD for draining water from the cabin area to the cockpit & then to the sump or out the cockpit drain. I have only used it to drain the water tank for winter or cleaning by running the hose that is normally used as a sight to quickly view the tank level, out through the plug shown in the photo.

Jay

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I have one of those too, and use it a lot!!
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply with quote

jack keifer wrote:
Since I had an '01 22, my recollection is that is a drain from the cabin. I installed a drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank, after having to clean out the growing green things once. I found that tank tough to clean out and kind of a pain in the butt to remove and install. I had a plastic line that I connected to the the tank drain. It would fit through the orifice and out the cockpit drain. Result: end of things growing in the water tank. I put a 2nd bilge pump under the splash deck between the fuel tanks, and rarely had anything to pump out with the primary bilge pump.

On my boat, there is no sump in the back between the fuel lines so I'm not sure how a pump would work on the flat bottom of the rear of the cockpit.

Maybe I'm missing something???????? DUNNO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:

On my boat, there is no sump in the back between the fuel lines so I'm not sure how a pump would work on the flat bottom of the rear of the cockpit.

So you have a sump under a step in the cabin? Or a sump in the forward end of the cockpit. The boats were set up at least 3 ways: Sump aft, Sump forward end of cockpit, with pump offset to one side, and a sump in the cabin, with a slot or hole between the cockpit and cabin, under the aft cabin bulkhead. If your boat was set up in the latter way, it seems as if this cabin drain plug seems redundant.

Our 2006 boat has a sump under a Starboard step just inside of the cabin. I put a second pump in the aft sump (which was there,--a depression with no or little core--all of the way aft between the fuel tanks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Nancy and Bud wrote:

So you have a sump under a step in the cabin? Or a sump in the forward end of the cockpit. The boats were set up at least 3 ways: Sump aft, Sump forward end of cockpit, with pump offset to one side, and a sump in the cabin, with a slot or hole between the cockpit and cabin, under the aft cabin bulkhead. If your boat was set up in the latter way, it seems as if this cabin drain plug seems redundant.

Our 2006 boat has a sump under a Starboard step just inside of the cabin. I put a second pump in the aft sump (which was there,--a depression with no or little core--all of the way aft between the fuel tanks.

Yes, that is what I have
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 2001 you have I'd guess your set up is just like my 2002.

So that plug is just closing off a hole that would allow you to hose out the cabin or etc. I never open mine but it's there if one wanted to. By the way, I removed mine to see if there was any core at the hole or the screw holes and there was not.

I bet you have the bilge sump under the galley up against the cabin/cockpit bulkhead (i.e. to starboard). In the sump area C-Dory removed the core, so the sump could be as deep as possible. Then there is a "slit" that leads from the cockpit into this sump, and a bilge pump in the sump.

Earlier boats didn't have this, and just had a pump (or nothing) out in the cockpit where our slit is. Later boats moved the sump to just inside the cabin door, and then later still they made a permanent flat cockpit sole and sloped it aft so the water drains aft.

None of this arrangements is perfect. It's just a not-perfectly-solvable consequence of a Dory shaped hull that is deepest ahead of the cabin bulkhead, but not deep enough to have a real self-draining cockpit. All of the various ways work to some extent, but none are perfect.

Many people don't really get much water in the cockpit due to either having a camper back or a slant back when not aboard. Some don't have either of course.

There is also a mini-sump on our boats (at least I'd imagine yours has it being so close in year to mine) that is aft, on centerline, just at the transom. This sump is not very deep, IS cored (just with thinner core) and originally had no pump. Many owners (or maybe dealers) added a pump there also. Often these drain along the topsides just ahead of the transom with a though hull fairly high up on the topsides. My boat had one of these. Something to check if your boat has one: Mine was screwed right into the core in that mini sump. I pulled the screws and the core was not wet so I overdrilled and filled them. But then I ended up deciding to remove the core there anyway and make a deeper sump like the one under the galley, and combined it with adding a "real" drain plug in the transom vs. the brass tube and expanding stopper style it had originally. That's just cause I wanted to, but still a good idea to check how the bilge pump is held in place if you have one in that mini sump at the transom.

So, in summary, if your 2001 is like my early 2002:

1) Plug you show is simply a plug that, if removed, allows cabin to drain to cockpit (or vice versa!).

2) Sump under galley at cockpit bulkhead is not cored and was built in as a bilge sump; slit under bulkhead allows water to get into this sump from cockpit to then be pumped out with stock bilge pump.

3) Mini sump on centerline at transom didn't originally have a pump and is fairly shallow and cored with thinner core. But many owners (and/or maybe selling dealers) added a second pump there.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few photos:

1) The plug under the cabin door just like you have, and then to the right (stbd) you can make out the slit that allows water to travel from the cockpit into the bilge pump sump under the galley.

On our era boats there is nothing on the inside where the plug is except the back of the plug, and the hose that carries water from the water tank under the port/after seat over to the pump below the galley sink. (If yours is same as mine.) The next era had the sump and pump under a "step box" that was on centerline just inside the cabin from where this plug/hole are on our boats.

2) The stock "deep" bilge sump under the galley as my boat came (annotation is from earlier, I now know there is no core in the area below that bulge in the bulkhead or in the bottom of the sump).

3) The mini sump that is on centerline at the transom. This is cored but just with thinner core than the rest of the cored hull. (Fuel tanks are removed in this photo.)

Here you can see where holes were drilled into balsa core (no protection) to add a bilge pump. I could tell by various bits of evidence it was not put in by C-Dory but maybe by dealer or later by previous owner. It's the two diagonal holes (ignore the transom drain that's removed). This is after I enlarged them to prep for overfilling with epoxy (but I later decided to do things another way). So they weren't quite this big at first, but just large enough to screw the pump basket down. There are better ways to hold the pump basket down though, to my mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: