The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pulling a C-Dory with a Truck and Camper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Pulling a C-Dory with a Truck and Camper Reply with quote

I have just purchased my first C-Dory 22 Cruiser and next spring I will be traveling to the Yukon to bring it home to Alberta. My truck is a 2000 Ford F-250 diesel on which I have an 8 foot camper. The truck has a 7 foot box, so I load the camper with the tailgate down. The hitch on the truck is the standard hitch, but I feel that I will need to use a hitch extender to avoid any problems with hitting the boat while turning. I am concerned about the handling of this setup and the strength of the extender. I also plan to upgrade the rear suspension of the truck with air bags. If you have any experience or suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter & Judy,

Congratulations on the new to you C-Dory. You are going to love it.

Do you keep the camper on the truck all the time? I'm asking because once you have the boat on the truck, you can sleep, cook and use it for your camper, negating to a fair extent the need for having both on at the same time.

I do Boater homing every year for several nights and it works fine, although it would be better if I had a way of charging my boat batteries up as I was driving, due to the use I put on them at night -- CPAP device.

just a thought.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be times when keep the camper on the truck and pull the boat. When we head off to the Yukon next spring we will be taking a few weeks prior to camp, then pick up the boat, try it out for a week or so on Lake Atlin. Other times we may just take the boat and use it as our RV on land.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new boat. It should be a great road trip to get it!
This is a picture of our rig, in the US boating "mecca" Death Valley. LOL Yeah we got some strange looks as we toured through.

Our rig is an 06 Ram 3500 dually, with a 10.2 Northern Lite. Meander is a 25. The truck has air bags and torklift stabil loads. It also has a torklift super hitch with a 28 inch extension. I upgraded the EZ Loader trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. We towed over 43,000 km during 09-10 with O truck or trailer problems. So yes, I think its a great way to go. I prefer it over boater homing because I can drop the boat off in storage and head off to explore an area with truck and camper alone.

I believe that your rig should work with the lighter weight of the 22 as long as you have good brakes on the trailer and the truck payload can handle the weight of the loaded camper and boat tongue weight. I can't speak to the standard hitch with an extender as I haven't used that combination. I highly recommend the torklift super hitch if you do upgrade.

I tried a little boating on Atlin lake with a previous 16ft C-Dory. Its a windy place and we waited for 4 days for the wind to die. It was still rough in the 16. Not many other boats around either. The 22 will be a good boat to explore it with.

Jay on Hunky Dory may chime in. He tows his 22 behind a truck with a camper as well. He has quite a few trips up the Alaska Highway with his combination.

Cheers

Ron
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible. Here we are with a Lance 10'-11" camper on a Ford F450. 32" hitch extension for the TC255. The extension also attached to the camper, to stop side to side movement. I towed a 24' TomCat to Cabo San Lucas with this rig, and the TC255 to Florida twice. We live in Utah.

Yes airbags would have been a plus.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a truck/camper, but I do tow with a small Class C that is a somewhat similar shape, and also has a rear entry, as many truck campers do. One thing you might consider is a longer drawbar as opposed to a hitch extender. Of course a longer drawbar exerts more leverage just like an extender would, but the off-the-shelf extenders I've seen* warn to reduce capacity by 50%. I don't remember if they are talking about drawbar rating, hitch rating, or what exact "capacity." And I don't know if they are just figuring a person will be overloading or if it's the difference of having multiple pieces, but the slightly longer drawbars (single piece) don't say this. I use a slightly longer drawbar to clear my entry step.

(Just a note that I did do the calculations for the additional weight (factor) on the rear axle and other components due to the overhang/hitch and I'm still under capacities on all facets. Just in case it sounds like I've got some haywire rig going Smile )

Sunbeam

* By "extender" I mean the male/female piece you can put between the hitch and a drawbar to make a regular drawbar extend further.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an 1191 Lance Camper on an F-350 dually which requires a 4ft extension hitch ,went with a torklift superhitch. We have airbags, stable loads , ect to carry a heavy camper. Towed the 23 C-Dory for first time last January . Measured from front cargo carrier to outboard on boat ,total length 58 ft. Filled up at truck stops,stayed in pull thru sites was nice having camper with us. One time called ahead Fredricksburg ,to a cracker barrel planned on eating and sleeping overnight there. Was told there was rv space ,after pulling in ,it was packed and only small rv spots no room. After backing out in traffic using walkie talkies learned never to listen to anybody on the phone,only believe what I can see.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Dodge 2500 diesel pulling our 23' Cape Cruiser. Total length is 50'. No hitch extension, but I do need to be careful when turning at tight corners. Also have airbags which I highly recommend. Ido need to upgrade the trailer brakes from surge to electric over hydraulic as the truck brakes get too hot when descending hills.

Chris
jritsema

State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: jritsema
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious question: assuming the boat is fully outfitted, is the added camper not redundant for overnight stay? Seems like a lot of added weight and maintenance for the benefit? Appreciate the feedback on this since I have considered this option.
Jeff
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCRider: I really like the looks of your rig. Nice Thumbs Up

jritsema wrote:
The obvious question: assuming the boat is fully outfitted, is the added camper not redundant for overnight stay? Seems like a lot of added weight and maintenance for the benefit? Appreciate the feedback on this since I have considered this option.
Jeff

As mentioned above, I don't specifically have a truck camper, but what I do have is similar to a truck with the camper on it permanently. And too, I did consider "just" a truck for towing and then using the boat as a camper enroute.

My first C-Dory tow rig was a 3/4 ton camper van. When I bought that (and even AFTER buying it, but before heading out on my first long trip), I shopped many other vehicles, none of which would have had official camper aspects to them (pickups, large SUV's, etc.). But in the end I decided to go with the camper van. After a year I was SO glad (for me) that I had decided to. Side note is that I did "boat camp" for one trip from Washington to Powell and back (friend's boat/truck). I now have a slightly larger 1 ton rig that's also somewhat similar to a truck camper.

It's true that you have two things to deal with. I tend to keep both camper and boat supplied, so that means two of certain items (and/or I have to remember to move things back and forth on the things I only have one of). But... built in spares, I guess you could say. I also don't like "land dirt" on my boats, so prefer not to camp on them unless on the water (although it would work just fine if I did).

But the biggest reason is that I'm not always towing the boat on trips. And even on some trips where I am, I will store the boat someplace for a while mid-trip. That's where the camper really comes into its own. Saves wear and tear on the boat, and although boat camping can be just fine, I'll go places with the camper I wouldn't go towing the boat (small dirt roads, etc.). It's also nice to just pop into the back enroute even when I have the boat (Walmart, etc.).

If I had a truck and truck camper, I could choose to leave the camper behind on some boat trips, which is likely what you were asking about. Since I can't make either my previous camper van, or my current one "separate," I don't have that option. But I can say that for me I can't think of too many times I'd do that. I suppose if I did I'd change to a truck/camper. Will be interesting to see what others have to say on the topic.

PS: I can only guess what my rig would be like if I could slice the camper off, and I think it might not ride very well (bouncy/harsh) since it's meant to have the weight of the camper part on it. I'm curious how that works for folks with substantial enough trucks to carry heavyish truck campers. If it works well then, how does it ride when empty of the camper? Is there some way that it works well for both?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jritsema wrote:
Jeff

When we ordered the CD-25, our plan was to pull it with a Class B campervan... until we discovered the boat would come in over A TON more weight than that stated by the factory. From my perspective, a capable RV pulling the boat would be ideal.

Many here use the term "boaterhome" when using their boats as a camper on land; not to be contrary, but it is more like having a hard tent than a motorhome. We certainly made it work for the years we owned the boat, but it isn't the same as having an RV... you can't shower in the boat on land (without expelling water - a no-no in a campground); same with using the sink. You don't have a city water connection like an RV (able to run water without using the onboard pump). No easy way to take care of waste tank disposal on land.

We bought an adapter to be able to plug into the campground 30 amp. We had more than one RV park owner/manager who was concerned about our "non-standard" electric connection harming their power pedestal (totally unfounded). Everything in the RV is designed for daily use: the microwave, propane stove, propane furnace, 3-way-power fridge, ergonomically designed seating, powered exhaust fans, ease of entry/exit, a bathroom with a separate shower/sink/toilet, and a mirror. A bed that you get into without crawling... and, it is rectangle shaped. Wink Real closet(s), with drawers. Built to RVIA standards (more than one RV park used that as a reason to not let us stay).

Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed the heck out of our C-Dory, and it was "home" on water and land, making coast to coast to coast trips possible. But, it isn't the same as a purposefully designed RV. And I completely understand why having both would make the traveling even better.

Can you make the boat work while on land? Absolutely - plenty of us do (and have done) that... but just like an RV wouldn't be great on the water (you could put it on a barge and float it), the boat isn't as functional on land as an actual RV.

I don't see it as redundant - more like the best of both worlds. Thumbs Up

Jim

----------

On edit, I see that Sunbeam was making a post while I was writing mine. How about a photo of your tow rig?
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the ideas. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. It's great to be a real C-Brat as the information exchange between C-Dory owners is one of the best reasons for owning one. I need to get about 18 additional inches on my hitch so that I don't wreck my camper, boat or trailer in tight turns and thanks to your ideas, I am investigating a few leads. I need to determine the best arrangement to do this and cost effectiveness is just one of the options. Extending the trailer's draw bar might be the easiest way to do this or upgrading my hitch and adding an extender might be the most expensive. I need to get the boat home safely from the Yukon next spring after we pick it up and play with it for a week or so on Lake Atlin. This will involve about 2500 Km's of driving one way. I like to option of having the camper truck pulling the boat on longer trips. Once I retire I might head down to Lake Powell for a couple of weeks on the boat, then park it and head off to explore some of the canyon lands in the camper. My last trip to Lake Powell was for 10 days in a canoe, with my wife, dog and a tent. Fantastic experience.

My truck is a 2000 F-250 4x4 diesel (manual transmission) which I use primarily for hauling truckloads of bison. I can haul a 20 foot gooseneck steel trailer and 10,000 lbs of live bison without much difficulty. So adding the camper with a C-dory behind should be fine. My camper is fairly lightweight 1500 lbs dry as like the C22 doesn't have a toilet. I will be adding air bags to reinforce the rear suspension and I might switch the trailer brakes from the Titan Surge brake actuators to electric brakes in the future.

My wife and I are minimalists, so the C22 fit the bill for our style of travel that requires beautiful places without the need for a lot of luxury. Most of our wilderness trips today involve backpacks, canoes or sea kayaks and a tent. The C-Dory will be luxury. As I get older and my knees wear out from climbing to many mountains, I am transitioning to more water sports. Once we sell our bison ranch in the Alberta foothills, we will likely settle down on or near Vancouver Island (probably on Quadra Island) and will have the BC coast instead of the Canadian Rockies as our backyard playground.

Thanks again for the advice, and I am looking forward to meeting more of you online or on the water in the future. Thanks for the photos, they are very useful as well.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Nice to see you on the site, and see that nice looking rig, And the pix Hi to all. Hope Juno isn't having to deal with any more sharp ramps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey!
Hope all is well with you....the trip to PLI with you and Sandra (C-Gypsy) was such a memorable time for us. We hope to travel with you again in the future!
Back on topic, pulling the boat with the camper on the truck was definitely plan B for us due to the weather and lack of time to be able to drop the camper and "boaterhome" it up to Powell River for the CBGT. That being said, the camper does offer amenities that the boat does not have (hotwater for showers, more room, and a holding tank for those late night 60 year old needs......ahem...)
We normally use the camper for ....well....camping. It just happened to be still on the truck when we ventured out on the trip. We had intended to launch near our home and travel to "Powell Riviera" by water but high seas put the kibosh on that plan A.......
Stay safe Harvey, looking forward to seeing you again!
Chris & Cathy & of course Juno.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, Thanks for the reminder. I remember your story about the trip initiation, and glad you all survived.

The addition of the holding tank and some privacy to access that on the late night walks is a plus, but who are you guys taking with you that has to worry about 60ish YO stuff Laughing You two have a long ways to go there I'm sure. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: