hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an Android tablet (Samsung) to be able to have a charting, routing backup for my RayMarine Classic 120. So far I have not found a suitable "ap" for that that is better or easier than my current set up. The Open Captain doesn't have Canadian service, which for me is a deal breaker. Coastal Explorer would require another computer on board, another deal breaker due to size and power requirements.

For my current use, I have a Garmin GPSMAP 640 that has both marine navigation charting, and streets and hiways for Canada and USA, so it can go in the truck or boat. It acts as a backup for the RayMarine C-120. It takes up little space, low power requirement and it serves well as my anchor alarm. In skinny water, or where there are obstructions, if both systems don't agree, I don't go there without visual confirmation of depth and lack of hazard.

I am still hoping to find a usable system for the Android, (Navionics looks very promising), but have not taken that step. yet -- not so tech savvy.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone down the entire length of the Mackenzie and the Yukon Rivers in a 14 foot boat using a road map. Never had a problem.
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDU wrote:
I have gone down the entire length of the Mackenzie and the Yukon Rivers in a 14 foot boat using a road map. Never had a problem.

Well there you go, shows how much you need to go downstream in Alaska! Laughing Laughing

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several posters have mentioned that OpenCpn doesn't read Canadian charts. For Windows, that's not true, OpenCpn uses/reads Canadian charts. For Android based tablets, smart phones, OpenCpn doesn't read those Canadian Charts.

Here's why: BSB4 chart format is used by several proprietary suppliers that sell their charts. There are several sources of these charts: MAPTEC, the Canadian Hydrographics Service (CHS) and the Australian Hydrographic Service. These charts are encrypted so they may only be used on one computer. Other, un-encrypted BSB4 charts may be available, but Canadian charts are of interest here.

So, OpenCpn has a plug-in that reads BSB4 charts. It's only available for Windows. For detail see OpenCpn BSB4. For the Canadian view on charts see Canada sells it's charts.

Those free NOAA RNC charts are in a BSB1, 2 or 3 format that OpenCpn can directly read. It also directly uses S57 vector and USA Inland ENC charts, as well as others. I assume that other proprietary programs (CE) buy, reformat the data and publish it for their programs. Note that all proprietary charts are based on government data: USA, GB, etc. In the USA, that's NOAA and the DoD.

And best of all, everyone can run the navigation program they want. And let me know where I am wrong.

Boris
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, Rosepoint does not reformat any charts for CE. CE can use NOAA, USACE, C-Map and virtuaully any other chart format that you have or can obtain. Where it is so superior to OpenCPN is how it renders those charts in quilting and zooming. I have no problem with anybody who likes Open CPN, but CE is so superior in my mind that it is definitely worth the money for us!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I'm glad you enjoy Coastal Explorer. It's a wonderful program. I assume most PC based programs can run standard formats such as the NOAA uses.

What I meant to say in the previous post is this. Proprietary software mapping such as Maptech, C-Map, Navionics and Garmin Bluechart all get there information from various government agencies. They don't do their own hydrographic surveys, but work from NOAA data (for instance.) They then reformat the data to their needs, add their own data, etc. and sell you the chips, files, whatever.

This means the a NOAA chart represents the best data available. It comes in raster (RNC) or vector (ENC) format to international standards. I assume the same is true for the Canadian Hydrographic Office.

And even with Coastal Explorer, you still have to pay for the Canadian charts.

Boris
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the USCG Aux. Weekend Navigator classes the instructor preferred CE on a dedicated laptop, integrated into auto-pilot. She particularly liked setting waypoints and routes at home, rather than in the midst of some of the challenges of the Inside Passage. She thought CE interfaces were far superior to most chart-plotters.

Paper charts were taught at the first set of classes. I bought and have used all the relevant ones for me.

My son and I discovered Deep Zoom for windows phones. It provides charts, tides, and currents. Downside is that it is cell-tower dependent, but that is OK on the Puget Sound.

Rodriguez (The Bitter End blog now facebook) at the 2015 Seattle Boat Show discussed electronics and suggested that chart-plotters were being challenged by phone, pad, and laptop programs. His advice was paper plus 2 or more electronic devices. And always extra batteries!
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

And even with Coastal Explorer, you still have to pay for the Canadian charts.

Boris

Boris, The price for the Coastal Explorer Canadian charts is considerably less than the CHS price. I looked up pricing at Fugawi. The CHS vector chart package for BC Is $1200 and the Raster package is $300. The CE price is $200 for each.

When I purchased the CHS digital raster charts, I paid over $350 plus a $50 customs charge, and after two weeks they did not arrive, so they had to reship. When they did arrive, the discs were loose inside the box and slightly scratched. I would NEVER go thru that again.

Updating the CHS charts is a real pain, whereas the CE updates are a one button click. CHS kept loosing my passwords requiring phone calls. Customer support at CHS is on Nova Scotia time, four and a half hours earlier than Pacific time. I would NEVER go thru that again.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: