Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ok, how about price for the Suzuki 2.5 ?

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
Flat Iron

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: 2HP Honda Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys, ya all had some good thoughts and ideas. And as usual Joe, ya lost me on some of your just short of going nuclear ideas.

While sitting on a tree stump this weekend at a beautiful 8740 ft. Sierra Nevada alpine lake waiting for Bambi to walk by, I was pondering just how a little 2hp Honda would perform at high altitude. I figured I might lose as much as 1hp...3/4 for the engine and 1/4 just to engage the centrifugal drive. Maybe not though, but it's still a bunch. I'd probably be pretty close to the grunt my Minnkota electric puts out.

I took a look at the new 2006 2.5hp Suzuki on their web site and there was something else like the Honda I did'nt notice before. The motor clamps can't be swiveled in (near touching) to put on a darn good padlock. Sometimes I leave my Scanoe by waters edge near my campsite and sure wouldn't want some sleeze bag wanting my engine, not foolproof, but it would give me alittle more piece of mind if I could lock it. I've even had to chain up the Scanoe to a tree acouple of times.

The new 2006 3.5hp four stroke Merc at 38lbs looks very interesting, that's doable as far as weight goes. It has lockable motor clamps and if I do lose a full 1hp at high altitude I'd still have more h.p. than the little Honda at sea level which should be plenty of grunt for a canoe type craft. If I can only use it with the top mounted fuel tank, so be it.... but darn, I just dread filling these little engines hourly!

Dan and Jan on Flat Iron
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan & Jan,
Sorry I missed the weekend post.
The 2.5 Suzuki would normally sell around $940, but if you came into my shop ready to buy, I'd match that Honda price in about a second.
As far as the lock, there ARE integral metal loops below the bracket to attach the motor to boat.
I know what you're talking about with the loops in the handles. If you're thinking of putting a simple chain and padlock to protect your engine, we would recommend against it no matter what engine you have. Most of those can be defeated by attacking the chain, so you get a $1,000 engine for the cost of bolt cutters.
There are several products for outboards that look like a 10" metal bar. It fits across the ends of the screw handles, covering them (and not using them, so it is universal regardless of handle type). If you think of the crazy Krypton locks and such bicycle owners use, and most of their bikes don't cost as much as a 2.5hp, you'll see that something specialized is often used in these unfortunate times.
So it costs the same as a Honda, better warranty, and you can lock it. Hope the Suzuki is at least back in contention. Also, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I doubt you'd be filling the tank every hour like you said. I'll look that up and get back to you.

Good luck!
John
Y-Landing
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh,
You were right about the one hour limit. Sorry! They're all the same.
Cheers!
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: 2HP honda Reply with quote

I just can't resist, just what you need more confusing advise. My suggestion is scrap the Coleman and find a used Grumman Aluminum Sport Boat. This canoe would be more efficent in the water, last longer, and could be locked easier. I really think the little Honda would move any canoe at hull speed evan at altitude.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan- Looks like you're stuck with the small tank!

I'm sure there are ways to attach a remote, but none of them simple and without making some modifications to the tank fill cap and / or supply lines.

The earlier suggestion to use the remote tank supply line to periodically refill the tank would seem to be the easiest.

If you used the larger bulb for 3/8" Neoprene line, you could refill the tank pretty quickly. I can't seem to find out exactly how much the motor's tank holds, but at about 3-4 oz. per squeeze, it shouldn't take too many squeezes to fill the tank.

I'd make up the line myself, with a hose barb end on the remote tank, and make the 3/8" line plenty long enough to reach the Honda from anywhere you're going to place it in the Scanoe.

With the bulb on the end of that line, I'd add a short additional length of tubing, then a brass valve as a safety shut off, and a small additional length to fit down into the Honda's tank when refilling. You could put a" short tube of aluminum with a "U" shape on the end of this last bit of Neoprene tube to hook it into the tank and direct the fuel flow downward. The squeeze bulb has its own check valve, but the brass one is for double safety. Be sure to note the direction of flow indicated by the arrows on the bulb.

One other thing I'd add would be a plastic container screwed into the side of the Scanoe at a convenient place to store this supply end of the tube with a rag in the bottom to absorb any minor amount of gas that didn't drain into the motor's tank.

Hope I'm not being too literal in describing this, but I know you want suggestions as how to exactly get the job done! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: