PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

Glad you had a great trip!

Enjoyed reading all about it!

Welcome back!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Harvey, that must of been a great trip, even the ferry. Got out Google maps and followed you. Glad you had buddy boats.

Do you have radar overlay or do you just eyeball the 2 displays?

Boris

It was a great trip, thanks Boring. I have a RayMarine Classic C-120, and usually run it split in two vertically with the left side running chart at 1.5, 3, or 6 miles and a rear ovrelay on that side. The radar is coordinated with the chart for range, the close in (1.5) is my dense fog setting and on several occasions I have picked up kayaks on the radar long before I could see them. (Especially the white ones Disgust )

Tom, I tried every boat I saw with a blue stripe, sorry to report, non of them knew you Cry

Thanks all for the kind words. Yes there are tons of stories, and no, I'm not writing a book, but they will come about as time permits.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Powel River CBGTG Reply with quote

Harvey,
Re: Heading home from the CBGTG in our 16' Blueback:
We would like to convey how much we appreciated your strong voice on Channel 9 regarding our query to CCG on C-83a as to any changes in their weather report? CCG Victoria said: "no change - were we experiencing something different from their official report"? You bet we were, as we were in difficult following seas on the east side of Malaspina Strait, adjacent to Texada Isl. at that time. And, at that point, Harvey came on the radio and said: " I'm on the opposite side from you entering into Jervis Inlet. "I think your experiencing wind chased by a flood tide coming out of Jervis Inlet. You bet we were Harvey. Our 16' Angler was in a nasty, and building, following sea, which came up surprisingly fast. 16' C-Dory's in 3-4 ft following seas try to broach and I was lock to lock on the helm at times to prevent that. There was a couple of times we surfed on our chine-side as I tried to keep her heading up, as we slid down into the trough of a big one. Harvey said he would monitor Channel-9 and keep in contact in this manner. This was very comforting as we didn't know if the seas were going to continue to build or not, and we were on the edge of our seats here.
It appears in retrospect it was an anabatic localized warm wind hitting the face of a Texada mountain and rising. And, as Harvey said, chased by a flood tide coming out of Jervis Inlet. I real hair raiser for a small Dory.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Powel River CBGTG Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
Harvey,
Re: Heading home from the CBGTG in our 16' Blueback:
We would like to convey how much we appreciated your strong voice on Channel 9 regarding our query to CCG on C-83a as to any changes in their weather report? CCG Victoria said: "no change - were we experiencing something different from their official report"? You bet we were, as we were in difficult following seas on the east side of Malaspina Strait, adjacent to Texada Isl. at that time. And, at that point, Harvey came on the radio and said: " I'm on the opposite side from you entering into Jervis Inlet. "I think your experiencing wind chased by a flood tide coming out of Jervis Inlet. You bet we were Harvey. Our 16' Angler was in a nasty, and building, following sea, which came up surprisingly fast. 16' C-Dory's in 3-4 ft following seas try to broach and I was lock to lock on the helm at times to prevent that. There was a couple of times we surfed on our chine-side as I tried to keep her heading up, as we slid down into the trough of a big one. Harvey said he would monitor Channel-9 and keep in contact in this manner. This was very comforting as we didn't know if the seas were going to continue to build or not, and we were on the edge of our seats here.
It appears in retrospect it was an anabatic localized warm wind hitting the face of a Texada mountain and rising. And, as Harvey said, chased by a flood tide coming out of Jervis Inlet. I real hair raiser for a small Dory.

Glad you make it home OK. I know what it feels like to be out there and know someone is aware of you and your conditions and tracking that. I have had Vessel Traffic follow me on a couple of crossings, and I do appreciate that.

On the conditions, I don't remember for sure, but I think the rapid change in conditions was due to the tidal current turning back against the wind. Sounds like you did a good job in maintaining and making headway. I know sometimes it can really keep you busy so understand the reluctance to stay on the radio. Glad I could at least help a little.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a few goals I had set prior to the trip.
1. Find Alexandra Morton's C-Dory and get some photos of it.
2. Find Alexandra Morton and talk with her about her C-Dory, to get some of it's history.
3. Get to the north end of Vancouver Island, on the water. That included Nahwitti Bar and Hope Island.
4. Get to visit with Randy on Balklava Island.
5. Get to see the Skookumchuck Rapids from the land, watching both the ebb and flood flows.
6. Take my boat through the Skookumchuck at a very slack flow.
7. Go down into Sechelt Inlet and spend some time in there.

I managed to get in most of these. I would have liked to had more time with Alexandra Morton to get more history about her boat and relationship with her C-Dory.

The Extreme North End was invigorating. The Bar was an incredible experience, and Hope Island was almost surreal. Hiking to Roaring Beach with Randy, Chris and family was a very special addition to the trip. Another think I learned there was that I should always carry a fully charged camera battery when hiking away from the boat.

Still have about 3000 pictures to go through yet so my home work is still ahead of me.

Will I go back again? Pretty sure, it would still be worth it, again. Lot's more territory to explore.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a night at the Nahwitti river mouth two years ago while on a week long hike. We fished the river and it was the best fishing, barefoot from the sand bar that to friends and I have ever experienced. Now we joke that the bar ruined fishing for the rest of our lives....in a good way.

Keep exploring,

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story Greg, and a really cool area. I was surprised by all the windmills on the hills on the Vanc Island side, at that NW corner. Seems like a great place for them though.

The first day up there the water was glass flat and bright blue, with those 10 foot surges every 20 - 30 seconds, except for the white wall at the bar. The next day the timing was spot on and the bar was almost flat until after I crossed, then the Pacific swell was unmistakable.

Around on the North side of Hope Island, about a mile off shore, I ran across a pair of kayakers, on their way back from Pine Island. Ten foot swells, with 1-2 foot wind waves building. I checked with them and they were fine, well equipped and experienced. Thanks me for checking and on we went. Not sure I would ever be out there in a kayak, as even the C-Dory seems small in that neighborhood.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have had a great summer cruising Harvey, thanks for sharing it with us. Now 'fess up, where was the best fish & chips?

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Martin, I think I'm still digesting the results of that survey. Mmmm mm good.

Maybe I need to make a list. I did try several places, and kindo fo liked them all.

The cutest place: The Little Red Barn behind the Port Authority building in Sointula, on Malcolm Island. And the F&C was good. That would be not greasy, crisp fried batter, and generous portion (6 to 8 oz pieces), done, but not dried out and with fresh cut fries, not frozen packaged, and the coleslaw (either with the order or optional should have more to teh dressing than just mayo.)

The largest serving: was at the little trailer at the Comox Marina complex, close to the launch ramp. The cod was 8 - 10 oz, with a generous serving of fries. The slaw was minuscule. the fish fresh and moist. The proprietor is a very interesting mariner.

The longest wait:was at Sporty's in Port Hardy. The F&C was OK, but there was no coleslaw with the order, and the portions were small, 4-5 oz. The fries were very salted. The fish was quite oily. They were quite proud of their product.

The favorite F&C for me is still at Fish On Fifth in Sidney just off Beacon Ave, north on 5th Ave a hundred feet. The fish is fresh, done and crisp battered or breaded, and the fries are fresh cut for the order. And they have Ginger beer, which any good self respecting F&C place should have.

There were some other places, but nothing worth driving out of the way for. Unfortunately, George at Port Harvey didn't have F&C available this year. It should be back on the menu for next season, but the pizza there is extra good, and worth the night on the dock for.

And my favorite place to eat was, hey Martin, are you sitting down for this one Question Duchesses at Alert Bay. Bannock, and anyway she does it it is super good, reasonable priced, and the home kitchen charm is hard to beat. You get to sit at her kitchen table and depending on who else is there, you might get to have a totally European experience, or one day three couples each from a different Scandinavian country. It was super food, good for the day, and never over $10 for a full meal. No fish and chips there, but everything is good. And it is absolutely worth the walk.

Hope you get to enjoy some of these places too, and there are always others popping up so please add them to the list.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Harvey, I really enjoyed your trip report & found your combination of list fun to read. It is at times very difficult to do a write up on a daily basis when cruising.

We too used Desitin for the first time this year. It does help to reduce some of the green growth, but found its removal to be about as hard as the green growth without it, especially on the sides of the boat just above the new coats of bottom paint. That area above the bottom paint seemed like a good place for it too, however the junk in the water around ports & stagnate anchorages stuck to it, making the combination very difficult to remove. Hot water at the car wash wouldn't remove it, I finally got it & the stains, the combination created, off today with acetone & much scrubbing. We did use it very liberally every where we applied, perhaps to much so.

Jay

I didn't think about putting the Desitin on the gel coat, only the metal parts and initially only on the trim tabs. I found mine came off qujit redily with a hose, some pressure and a scrubbing with a brush and "Boat Soap".

I was amazed at the growth. On the stern, up from the hull, there was "grass" about an inch and a half long, and a serious fuzz about half an inch on the motor parts that were in the water. Under the chine lips (where the hull sides reverse up and into the plane of the bottom), I had barnacles the size of pencil erasers. The green sludge came up about an inch and a half above the waterline paint. All of this in 48 days of moving every day. Admittedly, some of the moving was short distances, 3 miles was the shortest, and on each move I did some time at planing speed, thinking that would help remove, or prevent it from growing.

The green growth will have an affect on how I plan for the next long trip. Bottom paint, probably not, but pull the boat and do a good washdown and dry out for a day could be part of the solution.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on another thread that Susan is already planning for the 2017 Seattle Boat Show, and on another one, that they are making plans for touring Maine in 2017. Maybe it's not to early to start planning for next summer up north?

Will I go back? Yes. For as long? Not without making some arrangements for pulling and cleaning the hull before so many days. Where to? Not sure, but would surely include Port Harvey, Echo Bay area, and some end of the inlet trips again. When? Not sure. Later might be better weather, and better for bears at the rivers, earlier might be better for the weather too.

Telegraph Cove will be part of the trip because it has excellent parking and facilities, and maybe a launch at Port Hardy.

I enjoyed some buddy boating this past season and would enjoy more of that. Anyone interested in a Broughton experience care to share some time? I know scheduling is not a good idea, and the freedom to go with the flow is important in cruising, so dates and times need elasticity. Maybe hopscotch meetings would work best.

If your thinking of going up to the north end of Vancouver Island, or spending time in the Broughtons, chime in, with times and places, just for fun.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It was a great trip, thanks Boring. I have a RayMarine Classic C-120, and ...."

Boris, My apologies for the name change. I did that post on my Tablet and it must have done an Auto spelling correct, when I pushed "enter". I should have looked back at the entry but I didn't. Sorry.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up Harvey. 68 day long trip?! Im assuming you're retired? ☺

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Nice write-up Harvey. 68 day long trip?! Im assuming you're retired? ☺

Yes Jason, I am retired and now I can't figure out why I didn't do that years ago. I'm kind of liking it.

I started out thinking I would do a chronological reporting but with all the gaps in coverage, I gave that up for the "highlight" style. The timing worked well, except I ran out of patience with the rain early on and the heat in the later part. It was all great though, and I highly recommend the northern waters, and Canada cruising for lots of good reasons.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great summer up north. I learned much, saw some cool stuff and had some insight into solo cruising.

I also learned that sometimes water (drinking) is more precious than boat fuel.

The most exciting wildlife moment was when the dolphins were driving fish towards me in Burley Bay. They came in the entrance a half mile a way and then formed a line 50+ animals wide, coming straight towards me. I was in my inflatable so it took a while to figure out what all the commotion was. As they headed towards me, really roughing up the surface and in a line about 150 feet wide, I was beginning to wonder what was going to happen when the y got to me. At about 25 yards from me, and all in unison, the made a 90 degree turn to their right, forming a line now single file, playing follow the leader, and off the went back and around the edge of the bay to the entrance. Then they did it again; raising a ruckas along that north shoreline. This time, as I had paddled off toward my boat, they went clear to the end of the bay, and then milled around there, apparently feeding on the fish they drove down the bay.

Pretty cool to see the coordinated team work.

Must be a good time to work on planning next years travels.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: