The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

safe to drill here to add a kayak rack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMcD

State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: DMcD
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: safe to drill here to add a kayak rack? Reply with quote

In an earlier discussion the general consensus was that it would interfere with the stability of our 2007 C-Dory 16' Cruiser to put kayaks on the roof - so I am wanting to install a Sportsracker kayak rack on the port side gunwale. (http://www.sportsracker.com/upright-stanchion-folding-kayak-rack.html)

The forward stanchion would be where the red circle is in this photo:

At that spot I do not have under-deck access, so would have to use blind toggles. Does anyone know if the hull is hollow there or filled with wood or foam that might interfere with the toggle opening up on the backside of the hole?

If I have to go more forward to get to a place where i have under-deck access it will start to impede visibility in the port side window.

thanks for any advice,
DMcD
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 2007 25 that part is very thick, re-enforced with I can only assumed plywood or similar. It's totally enclosed in glass however.

I know because I was contemplating mounting our Garhauer there. There are access hatches already in place for the fuel filler/breather hoses, so I could reach up in there and feel around. The strengthened part covers about 6" in either direction fore/aft, but remember it's a 25.

spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Safe to drill here? Reply with quote

Hey DMcD,

You'll got through fiberglass, wood, fiberglass and then hit foam. The wood "deck" will probably be approx. an inch thick. I don't know if they used a wooden "cleat" under the raised area to help anchor the cabin to the deck or if it's just thick fiberglass but once you're through it all there's sprayed in foam. I have a 2007 Cruiser and all my foam was sprayed in. So... it should be safe to drill there and mount your stanchion. The foam may be a problem opening the toggles but with some finagling you should be able to work it.

Good luck.
Spuncopper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: