The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inspecting used CD 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Inspecting used CD 16 Reply with quote

We are in the market for a CD 16 Cruiser. Many available now are pretty old. I have been reading on this list about problems with leaky fittings and soggy balsa. When inspecting a boat for sale, what is the best way to test for a soggy core short of removing screws, etc.?
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way is to get a moisture meter, the type that does not have the pins to stick into the wood. They kind of look and work like a stud finder, but detect moisture content. Keep in mind they are more of a relative reading you can use to compare between wetter spots and drier spots, but even "dry" balsa will likely give a reading, you may not see "0" for dry balsa. Even the brand new balsa I put in my boat has a low value reading, and balsa remains strong with some amount of moisture..you would be looking for areas that are "off the chart" relative to the rest of the boat. Small sections are an easy fix, but the whole floor is a winter project for sure, although definitely doable on a 16. I got my moisture meter in a 2 pack (with an IR temp sensor) from Costco for about $40 a couple years back.
-Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: