The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Arima to C-Dory - advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrabLeg

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Arima to C-Dory - advice? Reply with quote

Howdy - this is my first post here, I'm not currently a C-dory owner but we are looking to move that way in the near future, and I had several questions for the group here. Just to give you some background, I currently own a 1991 17' arima Sea Chaser, which my wife and have used to get us to our place in the San Juan Islands in Washington located west of Orcas island. Living north Seattle, we usually come over from Anacortes across Rosario strait. For the past 2 seasons, we've made it safely through the waters in the arima, but we've had some really uncomfortable rides with the variable NW weather and wave action especially through the Strait. The 17' arima seems to be seaworthy (which is why we purchased for this use in the first place) but when the water turns choppy (anything above about 2' wind waves) we are pounding hard for hours and taking tons of spray over the bow and into the cabin through the canvas top). My wife and I are starting to think that the 17' arima just might not be a good choice for these continual trips across water like Rosario and that a 22' C-dory cruiser would fit the bill much better. It sounds like from reading posts on this site that C-dory hulls perform similarly to Arimas (some pounding), so I'm wondering how much different our experience in semi-rough water would be in a 22' C -dory over a 17' arima? Obviously the big advantage would be the enclosed cabin, but could we expect a much different ride otherwise in the c-dory? We don't currently have trim tabs on the arima but I suspect this could help if we upgraded to a c-dory. I know a deep-v hull (also considering a Boston Whaler revenge 22') might help more with cutting through chop but I'm trying to avoid having to up the horsepower and fuel expense. Finally, we have a budget of $20k - is it realistic to find a decent c-dory 22' hull (can be older, early to mid 90s probably) with a newer (2005 or up) 4 stroke or good 2 stroke like e-tec outboard within this price range? Or are we looking at an older hull AND older outboard at that price point? Thanks for any info and advice you guys can provide!
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only a little time in an arima like yours, but you are going to get a very different boat with a CD22. Your arima is short and wide with a low deadrise V bottom. A CD22 is going to be long and narrow, and almost flat bottomed.

It will be an excellent choice for making the voyage and keeping you dry. Your CD22 can take more than most captains can. It is seaworthy in the extreme and can handle incredible weather.

BUT!!! The shortfalls you have in your arima aren't going to be made up in a CD22. Quite frankly, if you want to be able to make good time through chop there are better choices. This is the one operational aspect a CD22 gives up. In return for a slower ride through chop you get: great fuel economy, good lateral stability, low planing speed (this one makes handling at lower speeds much easier, and is important in the boat's rough water performance) enclosed cabin, a place to sleep comfortably.

If I were to make regular long passages through choppy waters and wanted to do so in a timely manner, I would opt for the 22 revenge. This boat is perhaps one of the better performers in choppy wanter, and is also seaworthy in the extreme. It should be important to note, though, if you get a revenge and use it frequently, you will match your loan payment at the pump. A revenge, once you own it, might cost as much as a good used CD25. That might be a better choice for you, and could be close in price, once you figure on using 3-4x the fuel you are using on your arima.
CrabLeg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a Boston Whaler Revenge 22' from a friend, so we are going to go with that instead of a CD 22. The revenge doesn't have an enclosed cabin, only a canopy, but I think the V hull will be what we are looking for in terms of a smoother ride through choppy conditions. Maybe sometime down the line we will go over to a C-Dory, they are wonderful boats! it's off topic, but I began reading a great book called "River Horse" by an author named William Least Heat-Moon about his journey across the U.S. in a CD-22 on rivers and inland waterways. It gives a lot of good insight about the boat itself, and would be good reading for someone interested in owning one someday!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58957.River_Horse
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that book. It is not about C-Dories and it is not about boating. The fact that a C-Dory was mentioned seems to raise the cachet of that book in this group (mention in this forum was why I got it). However, for the most part what ever boat was used is incidental to the story. A fair part of the trip was done in boats other than a C-Dory.

I gave up on the book about 2/3 the way through.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 Revenge is a great platform if well maintained (not waterlogged). You will find it can take you comfortably across the 2' chop that was bedeviling your Arima without slowing down. I have great respect for the 22 and 25 revenge. It's one of BW's greatest triumphs of design (the 15' classic being the finest surfboard ever created!). This boat, properly outfitted, is a capable offshore traveler, and you will probably find that the ride over chop is far better than the C-Dory.

As I mentioned earlier though, gas. If this boat is sporting older 2 strokes you are going to be $pending at the pump.

The revenge will do you well, and if you ever do decide that you want to go in a different direction, you'll find it easy to sell (all things being relative and this being a boat).

Enjoy your new ride!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this 22 Revenge with a cabin up top.

http://eastblu.info/cache/33/BingImages_75834.png

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
CrabLeg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - that is some hard top! Wonder what it would cost to custom build something like that, who does that kind of work? Yeah as folks have mentioned the BW revenge sounds like a smoother ride, which I am defintely looking forward to. It's running a 2001 225 hp Mercury Optimax 2 stroke, fully rebuilt in 2005 and now has about 250 hrs. I expect will be a gas hog Sad. Not sure if anyone has any experience with that engine?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you are dealing with a bigger engine, more slurp slurp, and your boat has more of a V bottom than a C-Dory's flatter bottom, so your OB is going to have to work harder to keep it up on plane.

I have seen a couple of boats, I believe on was a Revenge, that had a SeaSport cabin top married to a Whaler hull. As one of the guys at the shop said, "Hey, it's all fiberglass."

Good luck and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: