The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Storage Slot in Aft Motorwell Bulkhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Storage Slot in Aft Motorwell Bulkhead Reply with quote

My '88 Angler does not have one of those rear storage slots in the Aft Bulkhead (terminology - not sure what to call it?). Not really the transom but on the inside of the boat just ahead of the transom and motor. I've seen them on 1989 models. I want one!! I can easily cut the slot, but would need the shelf to install inside. Is it possible to get one of these from the manufacturers? Any other sources?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the cubby in the second picture of this thread?

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24625&highlight=

I put a similar one in my Cruiser along side of the passenger seat. 1) Get a large hole saw. The cheapest are ones made for cutting 4, 5, or 6" holes for putting ceiling can lights in drywall. Get the diamond grit type. 2) Drill your two holes to form each end of the cubby hole. 3) Cut your straight lines between the holes using a diamond grit sabre saw blade. 4) Measure the size of the shelf and get an Azec board that is wide enough. The end of the cubby shelf (if needed) can also be Azec cut to fit whatever shape is necessary. Best would be a fit that only allows water to drip out, but just do your best. 5) Attach the ends to the shelf and then the shelf. Several times I have bought small stainless steel angle pieces 10 or 12 at a time (and usually from China). They come in very handy for this type of project. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Right-Angle-Bracket-Set-of-10-/272339010448?hash=item3f68ab8390:g:oNwAAOSw9NdXrbcO

To finish it off, get a length of trim from someplace like Zoro. Stuff like this, but you'll want to double check the sizes. You will think that you have bought too much, but it works for most other modifications to your fiberglass panels.

https://www.zoro.com/trim-lok-inc-edge-trim-25-ft-l-0125-in-edge-2200sb7x18-25/i/G4164338/?gclid=CJnBp7H6-84CFZNlfgodD4QPQw&gclsrc=aw.ds

You should end up with something that looks like this.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2357&id=102_0098&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
You mean the cubby in the second picture of this thread?

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24625&highlight=

Yes, exactly.

What is Azec board? Is it plastic that is impervious to water?
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
What is Azec board? Is it plastic that is impervious to water?

Yes, it's available at Lowes and other lumber yards. It has a rough lumber look on one side and smooth on the other. Glues up with PVC cement (and Azec brand solvent) and holds a screw without splitting (sometimes a problem with Starboard, which is heavier and costlier). A similar type of expanded PVC board is available at Tap Plastics in thinner pieces (Azec is about 5/8ths and is much stronger than necessary on most CD projects). It would be plenty strong for a little shelf. The problem with the thinner stuff is gluing and screwing.

Azec first came out as exterior trim board for homes. Never needs painting (as long as you are happy with white). I used it for exterior window trim and sill because I never wanted to paint trim again. So far, so good.

It can be a problem to cut with power tools. If the cut binds, the blade can melt the "saw dust" and partially glue the cut back together. Usually not a problem, just a weird thing with PVC lumber.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: