The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Possible gathering site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Possible gathering site Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-jkEoBw5HU
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Fred. Even better, how about a C-Brats fishing lodge. Let's buy it! Thumbs Up

Peter
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It does make you wonder what happened that caused it to be deserted. I noticed the video above was from May of last year. Doing some googling, I came up upon another site. Sure looks very similar to the photos in the video, but newer....

http://www.legacylodge.com/about/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are a number of "camps" and "marinas" which come and go. During the recession, some went under. It was not worth the money to keep them up. The assets were too difficult to take elsewhere, and try and sell. The biggest of these was Ocean Falls, BC. Also Namu BC. We stopped at both of these 4 years in a row, and there were different degrees of occupancy. One year, no-one was there; another year, they opened the store and were selling off some of the stock--we got a case of really great blackberry jam.

During our last trip to the Broughtons, one of the resorts told us that they were probably going to have to abandon the camp because there was not enough money coming in during the "season" (3 months), to pay for the lease, and costs of operation...

Eventually these ares sink, the growth and moss take over--and little is left. Most of these were canneries at one point. Some have almost completely disappeared. We found one which was back in the bush in a spruce forrest with lots of heavy equipment left behind. (the Most is at Ocean Falls)--but many of the logging camps will just leave there equipment behind when they move on...(not supposed to--but some are so remote that no one seems to check...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are a number of "camps" and "marinas" which come and go. During the recession, some went under. It was not worth the money to keep them up. The assets were too difficult to take elsewhere, and try and sell. The biggest of these was Ocean Falls, BC. Also Namu BC. We stopped at both of these 4 years in a row, and there were different degrees of occupancy. One year, no-one was there; another year, they opened the store and were selling off some of the stock--we got a case of really great blackberry jam.

During our last trip to the Broughtons, one of the resorts told us that they were probably going to have to abandon the camp because there was not enough money coming in during the "season" (3 months), to pay for the lease, and costs of operation...

Eventually these ares sink, the growth and moss take over--and little is left. Most of these were canneries at one point. Some have almost completely disappeared. We found one which was back in the bush in a spruce forrest with lots of heavy equipment left behind. (the Most is at Ocean Falls)--but many of the logging camps will just leave there equipment behind when they move on...(not supposed to--but some are so remote that no one seems to check...
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a similar place in the backwaters of Nootka Sound. I tied up to a float with two buildings on it because it was windy. The place was abandoned, but there was a hot tub full of leaves and needles, a fireplace with wood and benches, a kitchen with some canned goods and a propane stove, all floating on a raft tied to the shore on a small island. Just before dark a speed boat pulled up. I thought I'd get the boot. They said that they knew the owner and said that it had been part of a floating lodge that had been towed elsewhere, leaving just this rather fancy fish cleaning station. They decided to sleep in the "bunkhouse". No thanks.

The surprising thing was that they pulled a hose out of the water and washed down their boat with fresh pressure water, even though we were on a tiny island. There was a plastic waterline that ran underwater several hundred feet to Nootka Island, then several hundred yards up into the woods to a lake. They left the water running all the time so that it wouldn't freeze in the winter. I ended up going back there several times to wash the salt spray off my windows.

My Wagoneer is a 2008, so going to marinas that no longer exist is not uncommon for me. Maybe I should get a new one.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
<stuff clipped>

My Wagoneer is a 2008, so going to marinas that no longer exist is not uncommon for me. Maybe I should get a new one.

Mark

I know Sam Landsman would appreciate that. You can probably get an autographed one! (He's been the editor for the past several years).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: