The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 - Some boats 4 sale have single axle trailers, some dual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: 22 - Some boats 4 sale have single axle trailers, some dual Reply with quote

Seems to me, from my towing experience that the 22 with gear, engine etc would be pretty near the upper weight limit of a single axle trailer.

Anyone want to weigh in on a single axle trailer?

Thanks in advance for you insights.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meade,
I'm sure, regardless of what I say, there will be dozens of reply that say the opposite.
I've owned over 54 boats (not a typo) and towed boats all of my life, that included many Coast Guard boats. As a matter of fact, I had a boat behind me many of the days of my first four years in the CG. I have also been in charge of boats with trailer for the entire CG Atlantic Area and also my second job in life with the Army Corps of Engineers. I have purchased hundreds of trailers for both the CG and the ACOE.
Most all of my trailer life has been on salt water, so I never had the privilege os the non heavy rust issue that those on fresh water are blessed with.
Now, for my input regarding single vice duel axles for the 22... If I was towing long distances, I'd certainly have a duel axle trailer, as you have an extra tire on one side (in most cases) if you have a blow-out. If you are on the side of the road after loosing one tire, you can suspend the bad side (with a line or chain) and limp to a service area, or get off the road and conduct a proper repair, usually without further damage. Also, the duel axle will trail better (if the load is properly balanced and you have the proper hitch weight).
For shorter hauls, I really am happy with a single axle trailer (that is what I have for my 22). It is easy to maneuver in your yard, driveway and a boat ramp, without that awful wheel twist in short turning distances. One less axle, two less springs (or torsion bars) and two less tires and bearing assemblies to replace when they rot.
I do replace my tires very few years (including the spare) and my trailer is six lug with a heavy frame, that is rated to carry my 22 loaded, even with a reasonable safety margin.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the response. Just like everything else, people have different opinions and experiences. But I like to keep an open mind and hear different points of view as I'm often wrong.

Bud
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the 22 on down should even be considered for a single axle. There are plenty of 22's which came with single axle trailers. They are cheaper, and srbaum gives good reasons. I consider them mostly "yard trailers". Our first 22 came with a heavy dual axle trailer, and no issues. The current one came with a single, which seemed adequate, but turned out to succumb to I 10, and its multiple bumps (perhaps a statement on the condition of our interstate system). I had considered replacing it when I first got the boat...but didn't, and should have..

I had towed it many thousands of miles with my truck--this time I was towing with the RV, which has not only a long wheel base, but air-ride, so it stays pretty much level--and the trailer tongue was working overtime--until it folded. No rust, or damage to the tongue--but it was considerably longer than that 2 axle trailer which replaced it (the new trailer rated for 6500 lbs load on the trailer)

Also consider if the trailer is rated for a load of XXXX lbs, or a total capacity, including the 1000 or so lbs. of trailer. My feeling is always get a bit more trailer than you think you will need. If you are only going short haul, smooth roads, then single.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such a thing as a single axle trailer with a high load capacity....mine is a 5200 pound EZ Loader single. And they make 6,000 pound singles. It's been fine although a tandem would be better towing for all the reasons stated. Now, a 3500 pound single, or whatever it was with the 4" thin tube like Bob's that crumpled, forget that as it is going to fail eventually as proven. Be cautious, they make a similar tandem trailer with the same frame construction and probably would have failed too under those circumstances.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed many trailers also. With the exception of a few "lightweight" trailers, I have always ran double axle. But I also run long miles! The only downside is double the cost for tires, brakes, bearings and seals, and turns do scruff the tires more. But the safety advantage for long hauls is worth it for me. Colby
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen it in person, just pics.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 22 - Some boats 4 sale have single axle trailers, some d Reply with quote

meade wrote:
Seems to me, from my towing experience that the 22 with gear, engine etc would be pretty near the upper weight limit of a single axle trailer.

Anyone want to weigh in on a single axle trailer?

Thanks in advance for you insights.

Is it a 1200# axle or a 1700# axle or a 2500# axle or 3500# axle or 7500# axle? All are not created equal. Wink
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trailer type looks pretty familiar: The kneeling feature seems to be common with "load-rite"...!

The"new" trailer, has center of support further forward, heavier tongue, support under the bow forward, much longer bunks, and full hull support.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I remember when that happened to you, but can't remember, did you have a load equalizing hitch on at the time? If you did, this is my concern for using a LEH with a single pole tongue trailer. The weight distributed to the trailer, would balance just about where your tongue bent. Without the LEH, it would still have a lot of torque in that area where the rest of the frame came together, especially on a single axle trailer. Colby
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like a dual axel trailer,can make it to a safe pull off if 1 tire goes. If I was using a single I would change tires regularly,im changing my tires on dually every 5 yrs ,not going to push my luck,expierenced 2 flats last Jan on I-95 coming from cold to hot states.
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the rating of the axle on the trailer in the picture.

Having towed sailboats thousands of miles, all with dual axles, I'm pretty sure that our next boat will have dual axles as well.

I've used pole tongue adapters on many trailers without any problems.

I prefer EOH disc brakes.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my EZ Loader fails I will be buying a tandem. I said that for the first time years and years ago. We have really crappy roads, in general, so it must be really well built. I wonder how sucky adding an axle would be? Anyway, I don't think I'd buy a trailer for a CD 22 that wasn't rated for at least 4500 pounds.
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: upgrade Reply with quote

Just a thought: I bought a "forklift storage" boat with the single axle (3500) trailer that came with it. I considered this much to light duty to make long trips. I upgraded to two axles, and have had no problems. It's a pretty simple upgrade with basic tools, and is a lot cheaper than a new trailer. Pics on my album.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Bob, I remember when that happened to you, but can't remember, did you have a load equalizing hitch on at the time? If you did, this is my concern for using a LEH with a single pole tongue trailer. The weight distributed to the trailer, would balance just about where your tongue bent. Without the LEH, it would still have a lot of torque in that area where the rest of the frame came together, especially on a single axle trailer. Colby

The only load equalizing hitch I have used was on the 25, and in that case, the equalizing bars, were chained to the pole adaptor which was just aft of the point where the aluminum I beams bolted to the Tongue. I could have put a permanent bar bolted to the aluminum I beams, but the pole adaptor made it conveniently removable. Also note how the tongue ties into the trailer frame, not only with the bolts, in front of the winch platform, but with the "T" at the end of the pole tongue, into the I beams. This similar to the construction of my current "Sport Trail" trailer. Most likely this is due to characteristics of the aluminum I beam, vs the galvanized steel frame.

Both of the lighter trailers have in common, the frame of the trailer is really too short for the boat. Looking at the specs for the largest Load Rite single axle trailer is it rated for 3600 lbs, and a "Bow eye to transom 19'7". We don't know if the distributer bolted in a longer tongue pole? Maybe OK for a yard trailer. In retrospect, I should have switched out trailers shortly after I got the boat home from Virginia... I made the mistake of going by the tires: ST225/15D which had a rating of 2540# per tire--or >5,000 lbs....My mistake, I should have actually looked up the specs of the specific Load Rite trailer. I felt even safer, since I had just put on new load range E with a rated capacity of 2830# (or over 5600#...wrong!!! I had also towed the boat over 7,000 miles with the truck...

I had a choice of used trailers which would fit the boat, ts the shop where the wrecker took us. First thing I did was to check out the specs on the "new" trailer...As well as put new tires on the this rig. There were no brakes on this "new" trailer--so after the trip--E/H brakes were added. I took a calculated chance, having air brakes and a Jake Brake on the RV--that there was enough breaking reserve--and drove carefully--..Probably not the best idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: