The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Auto pilot for trolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Auto pilot for trolling Reply with quote

Fished Lake Erie last week ,caught walleyes ,perch,a 15lb catfish,and freshwater sheepshead,not the good eating sheepshead. Tried using auto pilot,but trying to stay between 1 and 2 mph,it keeps saying too slow for auto pilot. Anyone know what is lowest speed for auto pilot to run? Someone suggested drift bags ,wondering if I put 1 on each side mid cleat will I be able to use auto pilot. Wondering if anyone is using this method. After trolling for 2 days its too much in and out of gear for wife and steering. Any ideas im missing? Its a 150 Yamaha 23ft c-dory Someone mentioned a hinged flapper for outboard not sure about them never saw one?
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If waves are significant it is hard with a boat the size of C-dorys. Every wave weighs so much more than the boat so the waves push the boat around and you don't have enough thrust to compensate. I think APs for low speed trolling on Great Lakes need a rudder position center. My experience is they do better and in calmer seas I can troll 1.5 or less. But with wind waves two feet or more it is tough. I usually troll with one engine and adjust rpm for proper desired trolling speed, but when it is rough it is better to run with both engines going dead slow. If you put a sea bag out both sides they slow you down. In rougher water the sea bags allow you to run with a higher rpm so the boat can compensate for direction changes quicker. So they can help. The bigger boats use them because they idle too fast even in calm water.

Regards, Mark

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the auto pilot--what brand--and conditions. As Mark notes you have rough water, it is going to be difficult get a good course. The best pilot will have a rate gyro compass, and a real rudder feedback rather than virtual feedback as in the computer..

The plate basically slows the boat down, but actually makes the auto pilot work less effectively

There is another option, and that is to use the kicker (if you have one). and the Garmin TR1 Gold...auto polo for kicker.

Just bring lots of $$$$!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Auto pilot for trolling Reply with quote

That auto pilot won't really work under 3 mph.
D.D.

drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,t know what type of auto pilot you are using, but with our older Raymarine auto pilot we tie our 8hp kicker to the main and troll 1.5 to 2 mph all day in the strait of Juan DeFuca and unless it gets really rough or windy it works great. On ours there is a lot of settings as to how far the pilot will turn how fast it will react etc., etc. You might try looking at your manual and see if you can experiment with these settings. If the pilot isn't turning the rudder (In our case the the outboard motor) far enough or fast enough it may not work well at slow speeds. If your settings were entered by a dealer for cruising/planing speed purposes they might not be ideal for using it at slower trolling speeds. Ours also does have a rudder reference indicator. On ours there are settings as to what type of hull you have. Even though the C-Dory is a planing hull, ours is set on the displacement hull setting and it works great at 1.5 mph or 20mph.
The manual seems a little complicated at first, but once you go through the set up process a couple of times it is not too complicated.
If you do get the pilot to work for trolling, another great addition is a trollmaster remote throttle control for your kicker motor.
I have become totally spoiled with this set up for trolling. It makes fishing for Salmon very easy. The pilot computer went bad last summer and we really missed it while it was being repaired.
Good Luck!

C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Doc said, you need a gyro compass. My guess if you're using a Raymarine AP that uses the GPS for maintaining the heading. That means you have to maintain a fast enough speed over ground (SOG) for the computer to make its calculations.

I have the Garmin GHC 10 AP that uses a gyro compass for heading. There is no minimum speed. It will try to maintain the heading even if you're stopped; which means remembering to disengage it when taking the kicker out of gear to fight a fish. Wink

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I believe its a ray marine,next time on boat will check. I was thinking if drift bags slowed you down you would be pushing throttle up more rpms and it would work. If its actual speed im glad I didn't waste money,will look in to a kicker for trolling. Maybee a dingy outboard would work,then it would have a dual purpose? Doesn't seem like you need much H.P for 1 mile an hour? Any sugesstions on size or brand of outboard for this purpose? Would a Suzuki 2.5 be adequet,then I need to figure how to mount it what bracket ect, and remove for dingy use. Unless I should just get a bigger kicker and leave it mounted as a secondary motor to get in .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: