HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John&Robin

City/Region: Freeland
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Biscuit (was Wanda Fuca!)
Photos: C-Biscuit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Trailer question Reply with quote

Hi Brats,
We have an EZ Loader torsion axle trailer. On the backside of the hubs there's a hole that let's grease leak out from the pressure of the bearing buddies. After every drive the bearing buddies are bottomed out and there's a grease drip form this hole. It's not threaded. Anyone know what these are and suggestions on what we should do about them?

Just back from our first trip- a week in the San Juan's- and completely thrilled with the boat! Getting prepped for Lake Chelan next!

Thanks,
John and Robin[/img]

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If leaking grease out of the hole and the BB is bottomed out, the rear seal may be blown out. ASAP, pull the hubs, clean out and inspect bearings. I hope you have caught it before you need to replace bearings and races. Either way, you need a new rear seal for each hub.
Glad you are thrilled, great boats and awesome boating area!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would concur that you need to check this out. If you have my luck, all of it inside is not a rusty mess and will you stranded on the side of the road.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, there should not be any substantial grease leaking out of the rear of the hub--the seals are probably bad. Not a difficult repair--but if there is rust, then the surface may be damaged.

Until you have this fixed, be sure you check bearing temps (IR thermometers are cheap, and easy to use) every 2 hours at the least. Check the grease level every AM before you drive.. Carry a grease gun, & extra bearings with you.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
John&Robin

City/Region: Freeland
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Biscuit (was Wanda Fuca!)
Photos: C-Biscuit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your responses! All new bearings, races, and seals so I think it's something else. It looks like ez loader torsion axles have a Sure Lube hub option that channels grease around the seal and out a bleeder hole. You can pump grease in until it comes out clean instead of repacking. Probably shouldn't be using the bearing buddies though. The company that makes them for ez loader is Reliable Production and Machining and they have good info on their website.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have that option!
Look for the zerk as noted on the website. If it is there, then all you need is the correct rubber cap.
Good Luck!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very good reason we have to have all of the information. In your case, that you have a sure lube axle hub.

From the web site you cited:

Quote:
With the Sure Lube System the grease is pumped through the hub via the grease zert located in the end of the grease cap. The grease is forced through the bearings and out the exit hole ahead of the seal. The old grease that is inside of the hub is forced out of the hub cavity and exits through the rear hole on the spindle. You can visibly tell when the old grease is flushed out when you see a steady flow of the new grease coming from the rear of the spindle (with exception to the straight style of axles). The grease can then be wiped from the rear of the spindle or, in the case of a straight axle, the grease will flow inside of the axle tube.

So when you put the constant pressure of the buddy bearing spring system, it will push out that grease piled up in the outer part of the hub. If this is the case, you probably have plenty of grease still around the bearing--and you are just pushing any extra grease out of the hub. Not really a good idea, but probably not hurting anything...as long as the seals are intact. The question is who in the world would put a Buddy Bearing on a Sure Lube hub? Also did that person properly lube thru the sure Lube Zerk?

Get rid of the buddy bearing, and properly lube, then put the rubber cap in place.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It because they don't know what they are doing Bob......LOL.....And that is ok. I do lots of wrong things I am certain.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- There are some good video's on youtube as to how to grease Sure Lube systems. All of them recommend jacking up the hub/tire and pumping in grease while turning the tire until the same color grease you are pumping into the zerk, comes out from all around the housing the zerk is mounted to. I generally do this once or twice a year.

I also keep a grease gun in an ammo box in my truck and use it to pump a small amount of grease into the Sure Lube before and after dipping the axles into water. I usually pump until grease just starts coming out. I also check my bearing temps with a non-contact thermometer every couple of hours looking for a deviation from the norm. Using these methods I have never had a bearing failure nor found a need to repack or replace my bearings. Fifty years of towing and never had a problem with bearings [knock-on-wood]

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to understand that there are two types of central bore, Zerk fittings, where grease is pumped into the center of the hub. One difference is the Sure Lube does have a arease release port on the behind the wheel - by the axel operation. The EZ Lube--does not, it focces the grease out toward the front.

Neither of these should be used with Bearing Buddys.

However, it is probably best to still repack the bearings each year. Definitely use a jack so that the wheel can be spun, if you add grease thru the Zerk fitting.

There are cases where forcing grease too rapidly may damage the inner seal, and grease getting on drum bakes.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually people think of greasing their trailer bearings as an off-season project. If you use the Zerk fittings during the winter, be aware that the viscosity of the grease is higher and blowing out a seal is much more likely.

Most viscosity charts start at room temperature and show the rating as temps increase (and greases are rated based on that). But the viscosity is fairly lineal and temps lower than room temperature can turn the grease into something more like wax. In colder climates when using Zerks, take the grease gun in the house overnight, put a heat lamp on the bearings for a few hours, turn on the heat in the shop, whatever. Better yet, grease them on a hot summer day.

http://www.eriebearings.com/motor-control/files/GreasingR1.pdf

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: