A decent, inexpensive dinghy for a 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Tom

City/Region: Saratoga Springs
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Major Tom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: A decent, inexpensive dinghy for a 22 Reply with quote

Just in case this may help someone, I recently got a dinghy, and it works really well for me. Of course everyone's needs are different, and location has a lot to do with it, so you need to look at that.

I did a lot of research, and was getting frustrated...most were either too cheap, too big, too heavy, or overkill for my needs. I don't need a motor on it, either. So my search for the Goldilocks dinghy was a bit of a challenge.

I decided to give this a try this one, and if I didn't like it, nothing really lost... it's the Bestway Hydro-Force Marine Pro, only $123 on amazon. Granted, it's not Hypalon, and I haven't tried putting a motor on it. But for exploring short distances and carrying stuff it's perfect for my needs.

My main use, in addition to exploring, is to carry us and some cooking items, setting up a small "camp" onshore. Typically no more than a couple hundred yards, if that. We do meals on shore, campfires, stretch the legs, etc. I've explored much further than that with it along shore (in heavy wind or seas, of course you'd want a motor). I also wanted some kind of liferaft capability, because hey, you never know...

Here are several things that I like about it:
-About 9.5' long, goes on the roof perfectly.
-Also perfect length for trailering... slide it off the roof, angle it so the front is over the outboard, the and the front slips neatly over the outboard. Very easy, I can do it myself in 10 seconds.
-Light... only 29 lbs.
-Even though it's not a high pressure floor, I was surprised at how firm it is. Getting in and out from the gunwale is easy.
-I didn't want to fool with a slat floor... I know I'd never bother to use it. We do a lot of trailering, 1-7 day trips, so I wanted something that's fast and easy.
-It's fairly heavy vinyl, 3 ply, not a pool toy. I know it will degrade in the sun eventually, but when not in use it's stored in my barn, so that's a non-issue for me, and at the price it's essentially a throw-away.
-It's also sturdy enough that I'd be ok using it as a life raft in coastal waters, if the need arises. Before anyone starts jumping on that comment, I'm not suggesting it's a "great" life raft, or as good as those designed solely for that purpose. But it's a nice bonus, since I primarily got it for all the other reasons above. For me, compared to the the WM 260 or PRU 3 or similar dinghys around 7-9 ft, I can't come up with any reasons why they're better as a liferaft, for my use... in most cases they're so small you couldn't fit any supplies, and they're certainly heavier, and slower to prepare (inserting slats, etc.). I can have this in the water in 20 seconds.

One thing I didn't like are the oars. I use kayak paddles instead anyway, always have, and those are great.

Of course, for extended cruising, and large/unprotected anchorages where you need a motor, it wouldn't be my first choice. But for the use described, I was pretty surprised it works so well.

Hope that helps someone!

1987 Checkmate Enticer (sold)
1986 Sea Nymph (sold)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all respect--Major Tom--I have to disagree with you about these being any sort of a "life raft". I have been using inflatable boats continuously since 1962, and even before that I was been involved with boating safety. I have owned a number of inflatables, including several similar to this--which came with boats I purchased along the line. I blew them up--and then gave them away for folks who would use them in an appropriate way...

The difference between this and a higher cost boat is the material. No matter how you cut it there is no fabric in these "boats". The fabric is what prevents puncture. So this type of boat is susceptible to puncture,-fish hook, sticks, rocks, barnacles etc. Yes other boats are also subject to puncture--but no where as easily as this type of sheet vinyl material. Also seams are likely to fail. These are mass produced in China--and quality control may not be as rigid as more expensive boats. This is different than Hypalon vs a Dacron PVC boat.

It may do fine for shoal waters, but please do not ever trust your life, or your family's life to this.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dinghy is almost identical to the Intex Mariner 3 which I have had for a few years now. Among other things, Intex makes a lot of above ground swimming pools so they probably know enough about plastic products to make a reasonable dinghy. They have "professional" series and a "sport" series.

We don't use it a lot, but it works very well when we do. Mostly it is used as a ship to shore ferry.

We don't take with us all the time, but when we do, it is stored in a RubberMaid tub until we need to use it. When I want to deploy it, I spread it across the back of the cockpit and over the motor. I have an electric inflator which does most of the work. Once it is mostly inflated it goes in the water and I firm it up with the handpump that came with it. It can go from the tub to ready for use in 10-15 minutes.

I find that it is easy to row using the paddles it came with. The only thing I don't care for is that the "seats" are not firmly attached and can move around. They can get kicked out of the boat sometimes when "ungraceful" people are boarding.

This dinghy has plenty of room for 2 adults. I've had three in mine at times.

I cut off the two fishing rod holders using a razor saw and some nippers. They were just in the way and we don't use them.

There are a lot of forums where people discuss mods and additions to these dinghies to turn them into nice fishing boats. It is amazing what some people do with them.

It does have thermowelded seams and reinforcements on the bottom of the tubes. Yes, it is not a SOLAS class life raft, but it is a lot more sturdy than I initially expected. I've had some very large people jump in and out of mine with no ill effects. I couldn't see spending about $1K on a dinghy that only gets used a couple of times a year (sometimes not at all). Most of the time it is in the container in my shed. If we ever plan to boat in remote areas I will revisit this issue. But for now, this dinghy is perfectly acceptable for where and when we use it.

Mine cost me ~US$150. Treating it with 303 Protectant will extend it's life.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even really "trust" my west marine dingy to be a life boat. But, with that said, it is a heck of lot better than being in the cold water up here.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and Intrex makes "air beds"--same material and construction as the boats. I happen to have one, as the inner part of a bed in my RV--and I have chased down half a dozen leaks around the various seams. So a bed goes flat at night--my daughter is not real happy in the AM--but she is alive.....
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

Man, oh, man am I with Bob on this one!

While I don't have Dr. Bob's cruising experience, I have cruised thousands of miles and have personally rescued people and pets three times from Sea Eagle and Sevylor "deflatables" that burst seams, were abraded by rocks or had chronic leaks that were ignored.

Guys, the Sea Eagle and Sevylor "boats" are much higher quality than the toys that you are describing. I can see using what you are describing for very limited use in farm ponds or swimming pools, but not anything beyond that.

Even if you bought your C-Dory used, you've probably invested at least $ 30-35,000, I'd suggest putting at least a $1,000 into a fairly decent dinghy. Catastrophic failure and the potential of loss of life doesn't just happen on long distance cruises, but right near home a couple hundred yards from shore.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie II"
C-Dory 25
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to thinking about the costs of boats, and especially inflatables. My first inflatable dinghy was a Avon Red Seal: 10' 3" long, round stern. It cost about $350 in 1962--Not only darn expensive, but that was more than I was earning a month. I put $350 into the inflation calculator, and it came out at over $2750 in today's dollars.

There are some good inflatable dinghies for considerably less than $1,000--which should be safer.

Many C Brats know the difference in quality and safety--and are willing to take that risk. But there are new folks who may come away with the impression that a sheet vinyl un-reforced boat is equal to any of the fabric re-inforced boats with good seams, which is not the case. (yes Zodiac had a string of failures about 40 years ago).

Not knocking anyone's choice of saving money--the issue is long term safety. Enough said--and I'll stay out of the fray on this one from now on.

Happy boating.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had hypalon and Zodiac PVC ribs in the past (before I got my C-Dory), so I have experience with those kind of boats.

For what I and how often I use a dinghy for, the Intex model suits my usage just fine.

BTW, the hypalon boat which I bought new (from an American manufacturer) started coming apart at the seams pretty much immediately and had to be repaired under warranty. My Intex dinghy has been much more reliable than that boat was. I'm also not expecting it to last forever.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some early boats had crummy glue and great fabric. Ideally, you need both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: