The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: 10/14 - 10/16 - Apalachicola Gathering
From 14 Oct 2016 to 16 Oct 2016 (included)

All of the South Easts C Brats--Marc Grove (Wefings) is again sponsoring the Apalachicola gathering on Oct. 14, 15 and 16th. It has been moved up a few days so as not to conflict with other events in Apalachicola, and offer better housing options.

River Crest is again reserved for that weekend. We usually arrive on Thursday afternoon and help with the set ups. The last few years we have had to come by Dirt Boat--(RV)--since we have other obligations in the week before and after. There are usually at least several RV's, Several "boater homes"--and usually a number of C Dory's in the water, as well as some who elect to take a slip downtown.

Marc promises me that there will be some fresh real Apalachicola Oysters! The Pig roast box is in great shape, and ready for another suckling pig! Don't miss the great meals, real Southern Hospitality of Wefings crew, and comradeship of the C Brat community.

I have asked for a sign up sheet for Marc. Marc is busy selling, delivering and setting up boats. Even the end of the summer is a busy time. He tells me that there are a great selection of C Dory's as well as other pilot house trailer trawlers.
Folks who are considering or looking at a C Dory are always welcome. It is a great time to see all of the different models, and get a ride on the "excursion" Saturday.

Hope to see "you all" there!

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, what is the basic itenary of events like this? Is it more land based or is there some on the water stuff?

I'm just curious. Sounds like an awesome event no matter what!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Bob, what is the basic itenary of events like this? Is it more land based or is there some on the water stuff?

I'm just curious. Sounds like an awesome event no matter what!

This event is one of the ones closest to what was termed a "GAM" Defined as a friendly visit or meeting between sailors ashore or at sea.

River Crest was the focal meeting point of a subdivision which was never completed. There is a main room, with verandas all around, a small kitchen service bar, and bathroom--plus porto-lets out side. There is a canal, which dead ends in front of the building, with a launch ramp, and several seawall tie ups along the sides. It is ab0ut 3 miles form down town Apalachicola by water. This is tocal point of the gathering. There is fantastic food--starting with Friday dinner, usually some all provided by Wefings, but many of us bringers d'oeuvres. There is often sea food, ribs, chicken the first night. The second night is the pig roast--chicken and others goodies for those who don't want to "pig out".... Breakfast is by Marc, and not to be missed. Omlets with Oysters, and and many other goodies.

There is a lot of talking with old and new friends. There are rocking chairs on the Veranda. and enough circular tables to handle the bunch for meals. Usually a fire at night. On lSaturday night there is usually a local band --with Marc playing base. Sometimes there have been lectures, or talks on Saturday night. There are always boats to visit, and see what modifications have been made.

Traditionally mid morning to afternoon on Saturday there is a "cruise"--up the river, over to Port St. Joe, and the bay/Cape San Blas, Out in to Apalalchicola Bay--varies year to year.

Not all boats come to River Crest--some stay at Scipio Creek Marina, or in front of waterfront hotels. There are a number of delightful shops in Apalachicola. But the best oysters in town are at River Crest! Marc knows the locals who will have oysters which were content in the bay in the morning, and on your plate at 4 PM. Safe, since they are tested daily....! There has been a marked decline in Apalalchicola oysters, due to many factors..Apalachiola used to provide 90% of all oysters served in Florida, and were prized in New Orleans.

Sunday morning, after breakfast--and it may be just simple coffee and rolls downtown, or at River Crest--we say our "Good byes" until next year. There are at least a dozen core couples which have been at most of the gatherings--over at least 10 years...The only one we missed was the year, I had my second Bypass.

Many folks cruise to the gathering--putting in at Orange Beach--about 200 miles, others come up from South Florida by boat. Some stay in private cabins or rooms, some in the down town or river front hotels.

Look at the photos from past gatherings, or the town web site. Some history of Apalachicola. Come by boat, tow the boat with a truck, drive, or fly, but get there!

We think that the folks who stay at River Crest and have all of these informal chats get the most out of the gathering. But there are plenty of places in the area to visit also. It is peace, quiet and the "old South" in atmosphere...
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Good Times Reply with quote

I am so glad that the date was decided early this year. If you are planning on coming, make you reservations early.

You can always cancel later if things come up and you cannot make it.

I think this will be my 8th Apalachicola Gathering. It is one of the best fun and relaxed times on a vacation I have ever had.

It sure is good to see old friends and many thanks to Marc and crew, they are the greatest.

Dave Mason and Marlene will be there.

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this is very intriguing. C Brats, good food, great boats and a picturesque setting; what's not to like??
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have an "Event gathering sign up" for the Apalachicola. Letting Marc know how many will attend will help with the food planing....

Thanks to all.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Gathering Reply with quote

Hope to see and meet some of my friends and acquaintances at the Apalachicola Gathering Jim and Loree
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Apalachicola Gathering Reply with quote

We are in! Add me and my wife Sherry to the list. I joined the event signup group and emailed Bob, and posted here, so hopefully that will cover it!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ll be there!
Probably without Cat ‘O Mine, as we have explored that area extensively in the past and have very limited time-off days until retirement in July 2017.
Marc is a great honest dealer and I will give him my business anytime and so should you without hesitation.
My launch ramp advice is for TC255 and 25’s, also see Active Captain. From West to East:
Consider launching at Gulport marina to explore the Chandeleur Islands, mostly shelly and overwashed but unique for star gazing. Often closed as bird sancuarties. To my knowledge, only Tom on EZ DUZIT has pics in his album.
My To Do list en route would include Horn Island, a 15 x .5 mile true pristine wilderness barrier island unique between Key West and Galveston. See the Walter Anderson exhibit in Ocean Springs. Launch at OS marina. A walking circuit requires 3 days for an athletic couple and careful planning, several lagoon outfalls are over chest deep at high tide and have alligators.
Petit Bois Island south side looks out on the Chevron refinery and Ingalls shipyard industrial sites so looks less pristine from that angle.
World famous The Shed Bar B Que is off highway 57 and I-10. The extra meat platter is the best deal. Tight parking for a big boat. The Shell across the street may allow parking with permission.
West of Mobile on the Causeway bridge, exit 30 for Ralph and Kacoo’s lunch grilled shrimp tacos with Panama sauce…worth the 5 min detour, and a big boat ramp with boat parking next door. A couple of live 5 ft alligators for the kids to gawk at.
In Pensacola, drop down I-110 to Joe Patti Seafood. Fresh local Jumbo Lump Crabmeat for $21.50 a pound. Yellowfin smoked Tuna dip and even Lionfish dip (this is kinda like making a gourmet dip out of Kudzu or Asian Carp, but I can’t really argue against it as I haven’t bought it yet). The best West Indies Salad on the planet (pure crab with a few simple seasonings and love). Be sure to take a number and pay attention when it’s called.
In Panama City, St Andrews Marina has nice transient docks and a good ramp. Transients are allowed to park truck/trailer on the apron there. Panama City Marina, the other City Marina ramp has a very deep drop-off at the end…no reason for a trailer boater to use it with the St Andrews good ramp a couple of miles away. From there explore Shell Island and Crooked Island. The charts for Crooked Island are WAY WAY off by over half a mile, use your eyes to find the entrance channel. Stay on VHF16 for info on closures for missile and drone launches, usually on Wed, this is Tyndall AFB.
Going back to the ICW, you can get to Appalachicola via the ditch and Lake Wimco, or to Port St Joe Marina and St Joe Penn state park via the cut-off.
St. Joe Penn state park is nice. Anchor on the Gulf side of the North tip (esp with some north wind) for a unique experience. Their ramp is suitable only for smaller boats, but the new Mexico City ramp is good for a 23-TC255 and has plenty of long term parking and you can fit under the bridge.
In Apalachicola, don’t even consider any ramp other than City under the bridge for a 23 up.
I ran up on the mud bar in Scipico Creek 3 years ago at this CBG in front of a tavern full of boaters with cameras. I was going to starboard of a green-over-red buoy, which by convention should mark mid channel but locally marks the edge of the mud bar. Stay close to the wharves.
To get out to the Gulf, don’t consider Indian Pass without local knowledge on board…shallows, oyster reefs, changing shoals.
We went through West Pass to explore St. Vincents Island Gulf beach but it was shoal and un-charted (just like on the charts) and breakers all over…not advised except for the adventurous with big anchors and big egos (like us).
“Gov’t Cut” is OK, watch the plotter for shoal areas and there are always fishermen in it. To the west of the cut is an AF missile test range, ck VHF 16 so you don’t take one aboard without meaning to.
Carolines on the water has a great American breakfast. We find it entertaining (you will find that’s just us) to calculate the percentage of boaters who are displaying the required legal nav lights (yes we are up early before sunrise in Oct for breakfast). Our average count is 22% legal. Your observations may differ. But I doubt it.
The East end of St. Georges Island is State park and very pristine and walkable.
Dog Island is privately owned, don’t even think about tying up to their pier, but the east and west ends are Bahamas’ like sand spits.
A great area to explore in a C-Dory! Come on down and enjoy!
Happy Boating!
John

stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in, even though we a C-Dory-less for the first time since '08.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to coming out to the gathering this year but moving the date up from past years makes it impossible for us to get away that early. the potato harvest usually ends around the 20th so this year is a bust for us.
1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
NancyandBud

State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what we see and find out during the Mississippi River gathering in two weeks, we may be there on our own C-Dory.

Would be easy to pick up the boat while we are there, right?

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not unusual for a new "C Brat" to pick up a boat during the gathering...Just don't take too much of Marc's time from his primary job of cooking! Very Happy
NancyandBud

State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It is not unusual for a new "C Brat" to pick up a boat during the gathering...Just don't take too much of Marc's time from his primary job of cooking! Very Happy

I mentioned that to Marc this morning. He said you were pretty determined that he not waste good cooking time. Laughing
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can cook and match people with great boats at the same time ........
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: