The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

17' C-dory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: 17' C-dory Reply with quote

saw this on Seattle Craigslist.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link? I went thru all 2500 boats on Craig's list Seattle for 15 August--and didn't find it. (There were some great buys, some really neat boats, Kayaks, motors--sure glad I don't live up there, I would be too tempted!)
(but I know better).

I have never seen a C Dory like this. I suspect it is a semi dory, by some other manufacture?? Seeing a photo out of the water would give us more clues... It is a nice looking boat, but some features make me suspect: The transom, and outboard cut out are not typical. Looks as if the transom/side is rounded. This looks like a rolled gunnel boat--typically C Dory is not--although I think the 12 or 14 may have been...

Thanks for bring this up, and sending me down a path of nostalgia on the boats listed (saw sever we had seen when we were cruising to AK in the 90's with our Cal 46...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link:
https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/5707718847.html

Looks legit to me, has all characteristics of a C-dory hull and they've built many short run and one of a kind boats over the years, like the 12' skiff, the 27 bowpicker, the 29' cruiser, and 30' cat.
MikeR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have also added that I recall seeing a handful of these skiffs, both the 12 foot and this one pop up on Craigslist and boat trader over the years always in the bare-bones open skiff configuration. I remember one of the ads describing a former employee who worked at the factory built the skiff on his own time. Can't remember if it was this one or the 12 foot.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hull does look similar to the 12ft we owned. It looks worth every penny to me. Someone needs to snatch that up.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike R-
Thanks for the link--it certainly is a C Dory. Makes one wonder if this was a one or two off out of the 16 mold, with a rolled gunnel.

I agree, it is a really neat boat, and hopefully some C brat will grab it. (Great dinghy for that 64 Nordhavn? )
MikeR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Mike R-
Thanks for the link--it certainly is a C Dory. Makes one wonder if this was a one or two off out of the 16 mold, with a rolled gunnel.

I agree, it is a really neat boat, and hopefully some C brat will grab it. (Great dinghy for that 64 Nordhavn? )

Bob, I was thinking the same that maybe they used the mold from the original 16' as a starting point, since it likely would have been laying around the factory at the time serving no purpose. The original 16' Angler had a similar curved stem as the one for sale, whereas the post-1986(?) models are more straight. Granted the one for sale also has an extra strake that the original 16 didn't have, but that could have been added in along with the other mods to the mold. The early 16's also had the rolled gunnels, and the cabin just nested over the top. The curved corners on the transom is another major difference.

In the Documents section there is a 1996 price list that includes pricing for 10', 12', and 16' "Rowing Skiff", all of which require long shaft outboards, but aside from that I can't find any more info. If you search "Skiff" in the forums there's also a guy who visited the factory every year in the 1990s and remembered seeing these skiffs, but only for a couple of years. Not sure if the one for sale is the same as the "rowing skiff" advertised but guessing it might have started out as one.

-Mike
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this unusual C-Dory 17 on Craigslist last year, but it disappeared before I could check it out. When it showed up again on this site, I contacted the owner, who said he was in Utah, but would be back to Shelton, WA in October. We arranged a meeting to view the boat, and I took Dr. Bob's advice and bought it.

It is a 1993 C-Dory that is unusual with the rolled gunnel. It was owned by someone in Oregon that took it offshore fishing. That owner replaced the original motor with a 40 Honda, then had health issues and the boat sat in storage for several years.

John bought the boat and gutted it, removing the existing center console. He then built the mahogany center console and seats that you see in the picture. He's a real craftsman, they are well built and as beautiful as they look in the pictures.

The motor is a 2008 with 10 hrs on it. John worked in Utah, so seldom had time to use the boat after he finished it.

The outside of the boat needs repair of some nicks and gouges, but other than that the running gear is all new. We're looking forward to using it for fishing on inland lakes and as a bay boat. I'm not sure if we'll tow it behind the 46 instead of the 14 C-Dory, but I don't think it would be a problem to tow. I'll set up an album after I get some pictures of it.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
Congratulations on a great score! Hope to see some photos soon!
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
I've put a bunch of pictures of this boat on page 3 of the Bess-C album.

I've never seen a C-Dory with rolled gunnels. I'm not sure the reason for doing it this way. I assume it would take less time and expense to finish the boat. It does feel like there is more space inside than with the regular gunnels.

The boat doesn't have a bilge pump, but has a small well where one would fit. He also mounted the battery in what seems like an odd location to me. These are the first two changes that I'll probably make.
Lyle
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice boat--clean, and well maintained from the photos.

The rolled gunnel gives more stiffness to the hull without adding much weight--plus it gives a better "finished" look to the gunnel. This is not uncommon with an undecided boat. For example my Caracal 18 comes with and with out hull liner. The boat without hull liner has slightly more room inside, and the rolled gunnel. I have the liner, and it is easier to keep clean--more finished look--but more weight, and slightly less room in the boat.
MikeR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great score Lyle! That boat looks super clean, and has great lines!

The 1st generation 16's had rolled gunnels similar to yours, the cabin simply sat on top of the hull, instead of a full-length deck/cabin molding like in the current design. The original also had a flat bottom similar to yours. I like the rounded corners on your transom, gives it a definite "work boat" type of look.

Here's a pic from a 1984 album that sort of shows the similar rounded gunnel of the early designs...

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Jealous, I would have bought that one if I could convince myself I would use it enough. Not likely and it was also almost too nice for the crabbing, fishing, beaching we may have done with it.

Nice boat and enjoy that one!

Bring it to a gathering sometime to show it off.

Greg
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle, nice to hear from you, and thanks for sharing that news. I'm glad you're the owner and that rare, sweet craft is in such good hands.
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rolled gunnel is also a cost saving measure for the builder. Instead of having both a hull and deck mold, the rolled gunnel is integral with the hull mold. This detail stiffens the hull without the extra labor and materials required to mold a deck then fasten it to the hull. This detail has been used for a long time by Livingston Boats for their catamaran hulls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: