View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like that my rode may not be big enough. I do have the recommended line from lewmar. But I've tried a couple different rodes, no dice.

Gypsy has never been off, but maybe it came from the factory backwards. How can you tell?

Anyway, here's a couple more facts: I'm dumb, I have a lewmar 700H Pro. not a pro fish. It does freefall, etc. I don't think that matters much.

Right now I'm getting ready to hang my new pot puller. I wish I had just done this first, because I can use it to pull my anchor just fine. I may remove my windlass and sell it and just pull anchor from the cockpit. I guess I could use the hole I made as a hawse pipe.

And the windlass does pull the line mostly, but it just spins about every 10-30 seconds and needs assistance. But mostly I just leave the windlass on in the UP position and lay on my belly in the cuddy pulling down on the rode as it enters the locker.

Maybe I'll bring the whole thing home for another cleaning and fabric softening. People seem to think that's a good thing to try a couple times.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure, but think 1/2 inch 8 brait was the recommended rode. It's what I use on our 700 H & it doesn't slip except a bit at the chain to rode tie. It also goes nicely into the locker.

The line would jump off the gypsy when there was slack in the rode, while deploying the anchor. The upgrade kit solved that problem, so no problems at all on this years Alaska cruise.

Jay

Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, looks like my gypsy is on right. Now that I took a look it made some good sense. The fins that grab the line don't radiate straight out from the center, but are angled slightly back at the top and forward on the bottom. Mine seems right.

I think the finger that holds the rode down is not very strong. I'm going to go up and put my hand on it next time I retrieve and see if that doesn't fix it. If so, I'm all over that new finger and spring. I'm willing to bet I can figure out how to add some tension to it temporarily, if that's the issue.

I do have the standard 1/2" lewmar 8 plait rode. It's what was spec'd for the gypsy. I think a thinner line would get in there better though. Maybe I should try out some 3/8 and see how that goes. Then I could have a longer rode.

I've kind of always thought my heavy anchor/chain was an issue. I'm now thinking it's a help and that it would spin worse with less weight. I may try it without any chain and see if it doesn't fix things. Then I know I just need to reduce the weight of what I'm hauling.

It seems to work less well the more I pull, suggesting weight is a help, but also perhaps drop in the locker is the issue, but again I've checked and put the rode into an empty locker with plenty of drop. It didn't help. I'll try again.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some testing on the different ideas, among many other things, and was a little slow to get back to update, but it does appear that I need to get the control arm upgrade kit as recommended. I had someone run the anchor switch and I gently placed some pressure on the control arm and the rode fed through just fine.

Does anyone know the part number for this kit? I remember seeing it posted somewhere on here, but I can't seem to turn it up.

Thanks!
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a semi unrelated note,

Does anyone know how much 1/4" chain the CD22 locker will hold? I'm considering an all-chain rode.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
On a semi unrelated note,

Does anyone know how much 1/4" chain the CD22 locker will hold? I'm considering an all-chain rode.

Here is where I got my control arm upgrade:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C2276108%7C2276149%7C2276152&id=2842506

At close to $5 a foot for G4 chain you might want to reconsider an all chaine rode. Shocked
The standard Alaskan rode seems to run from 400 to 600 feet, a lot of money and most likely too much weight in my opinion.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a Lewmar, but a Quick 500, this may not be applicable, but....

Since I single hand almost exclusively, I do not want to be up on the fore deck messing with the windlass. I have 70+ feet of chain, and 180 feet of 1/2 inch 3 strand nylon rode. I have had some slippage issues, getting the rode pulled back into the boat with the windlass, although very few times, it is not something I want to deal with; so in most cases, I have elected to anchor on the chain only. I find a spot that will give me about 5 feet of depth under the boat at low tide, and run the chain out to the last foot and set my anchor with a firm reverse. No problems, and the chain always responds to the gypsy.

I know there is plenty of room for 70 feet of chain. There is probably room for twice that much. I have considered going up to 100 feet, and considering the weight, would not go with more rode than maybe 150 feet. The longer chain does allow for a lower scope ratio, and still maintain a good set and the weight of the chain from the bottom to the bow provides a pretty reasonable buffer to counter the lack of "stretch" in a chain over the nylon rode. Most of the time I have no problem finding someplace where I can get into a "pocket" and anchor in 15 - 20 feet at high tide.

Of course YMMV. I'm thinking your rode is to small of a diameter, for the line to get a good grip, unless it is not getting down into the gypsy enough for the grips to contact it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:

At close to $5 a foot for G4 chain you might want to reconsider an all chaine rode. Shocked
The standard Alaskan rode seems to run from 400 to 600 feet, a lot of money and most likely too much weight in my opinion.

True enough, but sometimes in small towns that do nothing but fish you find a tote of G4 at a garage sale for $20. I have a pretty heavy stern, so some weight up front wouldn't kill me either.

I was actually thinking that I'd have a 200' chain rode in the locker with the windlass, and keep my long 8 plait rode on my backup anchor, and haul that one with my line puller. So I would have a deep anchor rig for fishing and a burly shallow anchor rig (like what hardee suggests) for overnighting in a selected anchorage. Best of both worlds. Maybe even run that long rode on a quick disconnect so I can get off the anchor in a hurry and recover or re-attach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: