Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Lewmar Pro Fish woes Reply with quote

The first thing I did when I got my boat was install a windlass. I wish now that I had just installed the line puller that is on its way to me and skipped the whole windlass. Aside from putting rode into the anchor locker, it isn't very helpful.

I have the proper rode/chain for my windlass, and soaked, washed, fabric softened, even salt water bathed my rode. I had 3 strand and now have 8 plait line.

The chain feeds through just fine, the line will feed a few feet and then loses traction and the gypsy spins on the line without pulling it (or dropping it).

I have more rode than most in my locker, so the drop isn't quite what it should be, BUT, I've removed all but the rode I was trying to haul in with no change in results.

I have an interesting setup I have never photographed and added to my albums, but probably should. But my install should work just fine.

Any similar troubles from anyone out there? Even better, does anyone have any solutions for me? I've searched and searched and there is a lot of advice surrounding soaking your line in various liquids, and I'm willing to try things twice, but I don't want to try everything twice!

Many thanks in advance, and happy Friday!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours will slip on the gypsy, especially at the braid where it joins the chain. A hassle but not the end of the world; more so when I'm alone. Don't have a solution but out rode is 7 yrs old and will have to be replaced at some point. It worked flawlessly in the beginning.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krustaka-

Are you keeping tension on the line as you begin to retrieve it? The dual purpose chain/rope gypsy needs a certain minimum tension for the teeth designed for the rope retrieval to "bite" the rope.
That's why they recommend a minimum distance for the rope fall below in the rode locker to use gravity to tension the line and help pile the rode up.
The best way to keep tension on the line is to use the boat's position to pull lightly on the rode.

Another problem could be the little steel finger called the Flemming, which holds the rope and chain against the gypsy's rope teeth and chain pockets.
The one on my Quick 500 was too weak and I had to replace it with a homemade stronger one.

Another problem are can be the rope/chain splice, as it is usually features an enlarged bulge where the rope doubles back on itself in the braided section. Are you having problem there?

You may have already considered all of this, but it's a start.

Do you have any photos of your custom set--up?

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has never worked, neither the new rode nor the old, EXCEPT at the splice! The splice feeds through the gypsy just fine.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Krustaka-

Are you keeping tension on the line as you begin to retrieve it? The dual purpose chain/rope gypsy needs a certain minimum tension for the teeth designed for the rope retrieval to "bite" the rope.
That's why they recommend a minimum distance for the rope fall below in the rode locker to use gravity to tension the line and help pile the rode up.
The best way to keep tension on the line is to use the boat's position to pull lightly on the rode.

Another problem could be the little steel finger called the Flemming, which holds the rope and chain against the gypsy's rope teeth and chain pockets.
The one on my Quick 500 was too weak and I had to replace it with a homemade stronger one.

Another problem are can be the rope/chain splice, as it is usually features an enlarged bulge where the rope doubles back on itself in the braided section. Are you having problems there?

You may have already considered all of this, but it's a start.

Do you have any photos of your custom set--up?

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take some pics soon and post them.

I've definitely put some tension on it to seat the line in the gypsy. Doesn't help. Adding tension to the finger might. I'll try it.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems ever with 2 boat factory-installed Lewmars on 2 boats over 13 years, except replace rode when it gets stiff or worn or hockled or performs poorly or at 4-5 years heavy saltwater use.
Windlass is working if chain works fine and splice works fine. Sounds like it prefers to chew on something bigger and/or heavier (or both) than your line, which may well be a 'drop' issue or a 'custom install' issue. Maybe a new Fleming spring or change in gypsy size...contact
ustechsupport@lewmar.com
with your particulars...hope they can help!
Since you're not sliding onto soft white sand beaches in knee deep, 84 degree water, too bad an all chain rode is not appropriate for your situation.
Good luck!
John

Mike B

City/Region: Staten Island
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Remembrance
Photos: Remembrance
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem years ago on an older windless. This was an old post of mine... hope it might help.

Did you recently have the windlass taken apart to be serviced ? the wheel that retrieves the rode can be put on backwards. This causes the rode to slip, but the chain isn't affected. ......I know !
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that you have the gypsy for a larger rope/chain? The 700 usually is 1/2" rode and 1/4 G 4 Chain.

I have had that windlass on 4 different boats and never had any issues. Could be quality control?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Profish and had nothing but trouble on our last trip. Works fine past the splice and through the chain but had one hockle after another as well as jamming. A while back, I removed 200' of rope to create more fall into the locker and it seemed to work fine for a good while. I'm thinking it might be time to reverse the rode end for end and see if that helps. Better yet, do what my brother did and replace it with a good quality drum winch. This weekend, I think I'll let the whole works drop out in deep water and see if I can bring it all back in under tension and perhaps work some twist out of the rope.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krustaka,

You have too small diameter line, I'll guarantee it.
Had/have simulator problem.
Have the Lewmar 700 with profish conversion.
When I bought the boat it came with 200 feet of rode and 15 feet of chain.
I wanted more so purchased 600 ft of 1/2 " 3 strand from AK wire and rope and added 35 feet of 1/4" chain.
Noticed it didn't appear to be same diameter as the 200' of line it was replacing.
First fishing trip anchored up is strong current, line would not retrieve, just spon in Gypsy.
Head scratching problem because my old line would never do that.
So took the old line and spliced in 400' of the new stuff, never anchor for the night were I need more than 200'.
On the rare occasion where we fish on the hook I just deal with the smaller diameter line. As long as I help it some by taking up the slack it feeds ok but still spins out on spots where it preciously did, at that point someone has to help by pulling on line in Anchor locker. ..PITA!!
At some point I'm going to cut off some of the old line and take it down to AK wire and rope for comparison, than maybe buy another 600' spool,

So just saying, not all 1/2" line is created equal.

Get the right size and the only problem you may have is getting past the chain splice. When I get to the splice have discovered bumping the switch works best, the splice can also get bunch up on back side if feed too fast into locker.

Also recommend buying Pro-Series/Fish Rope Guard and Control Arm Upgrade kit, prevents line from jumping out of Gypsy when dropping anchor...another royal PITA

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:

Also recommend buying Pro-Series/Fish Rope Guard and Control Arm Upgrade kit, prevents line from jumping out of Gypsy when dropping anchor...another royal PITA

I haven't even installed my Lewmar 700 (Pro, but not Fish) yet, but its a couple years old. Naturally, there's an upgrade kit before I've even used it, LOL. Anyway, was curious as to what it was so looked it up. Defender sell it and also have a link to the Lewmar instruction .pdf so could see what it entailed. If anyone else is curious, it's at the link below. The kit is around $100. It's Lewmar part #66000766.

http://www.defender.com/pdf/002541.pdf
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
breausaw wrote:

I haven't even installed my Lewmar 700 (Pro, but not Fish) yet, but its a couple years old. Naturally, there's an upgrade kit before I've even used it, LOL. Anyway, was curious as to what it was so looked it up. Defender sell it and also have a link to the Lewmar instruction .pdf so could see what it entailed. If anyone else is curious, it's at the link below. The kit is around $100. It's Lewmar part #66000766.

http://www.defender.com/pdf/002541.pdf

The upgrade is for the Pro Fish, keeps the line from jumping out of the Gypsy on fee fall. Don't think it offers any advantage for Pro only series.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see. I think they do list it for "just the pro" also, but then maybe it's not as necessary on the regular pro vs. the pro/fish, since no free-fall mode. So I gather you're saying the line jumping isn't a problem unless in free fall mode? (Haven't even used my windlass yet so don't know.)
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: lewmar Reply with quote

I installed a Lewmar fish pro last year and it had the upgrade already installed. With new 1/2" 3 strand nylon, I have had NO problems. Great upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: