The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Prop Choice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If purchasing today, what type of prop would you buy?
Aluminum - 3 Blade
38%
 38%  [ 33 ]
Aluminum - 4 Blade
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Composite - 3 Blade
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Composite - 4 Blade
24%
 24%  [ 21 ]
Stainless - 3 Blade
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Stainless - 4 Blade
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 86

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Prop Choice Reply with quote

There's been a bit of lively discussion on props lately - Swee Pea (John) suggested a poll. A fine idea.

So - if purchasing today, what would be your prop of choice?

No way we can list all the possible brands, let's just go with material and blades.

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say I would buy any of the above if the price was right. I'm always looking for a bargain. But for the purposes of this poll, I think a 3-blade stainless would be my screw of choice. At least unless somebody can convince me otherwise...

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three blade aluminum "chopper" (cut off square at the back of the blade) prop that came with my new motor (Yamaha) seems very hard to beat for versatility. I've got four blade Solas that I think will be a little less vibration at low speeds, but no miracle breakthrough (but we'll just have to wait and see).

Despite all the advantages of stainless, the big turn off for me is the weight (really the mass) of the prop when engaging the gears. A 3.5 lb aluminum prop is a lot easier on the shift dogs than the 11-13 lb stainless prop. Just from the sound of the two, I'd say the impact on the sift dogs (CCClllluuuuunnnkkkk!!!!!) is proportional to the mass of the props. (Not too surprising a conclusion!)

Maybe not a big deal if you only shift occasionally to get in and out of marinas, but I still don't like the heavy clunking and thuds, and definitely wouldn't want to use a stainless prop on a workboat pushing things around and shifting in and out of gears all day long.

The shift dog design is not very sophisticated and is totally without a clutch, torque converter, or synchromesh servos, and is a real basic crude mechanical device: it's in gear or out of gear with these flattish, slotted faced bronze engagement clogs. It's kind of like shifting a car with a stick shift without a clutch from a standing start. No need to make the start up mass any larger than necessary with a triple weight prop.

Considering the design limitations, it's no wonder that they encourage you to shift into gear fairly quickly from neutral to avoid grinding the dogs for an unnecessarily long period. You do, however, want to wait for the prop to stop turning in neutral before going from forward to reverse or vis-a'-verse.

Another advantage of aluminum props:

minor damage---repair it yourself with leather mallet, file, sandpaper and new paint.

major damage---have it repaired, or simply buy a new one at the discount internet or ebay rate for the same amount of money. I can get the Yamaha factory aluminum prop mentioned above for $55-$65 if thoughtfully done, and the full repair of an aluminum prop that requires welding is $75 or more. My 2 pesos. Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I voted for the 3 blade aluminum mostly because I know mine works well. I would love to try out one of the composite props. One of those may have saved me a prop shaft replacement. My only fear is that if I hit something that would normally ding my alum prop, would probably destroy the "plastic" prop. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am quite ignorant to comp props. How do they handle the occasional "ding"?
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that they break rather than ding, but that you can just replace a blade using a screwdriver. Another advantage of them is the ability to easily change the pitch using a screwdriver.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the composite props, the ProPulse brand has 4 individually replaceable blades and adjustable pitch. The Comprop is a 4 blaed fixed blade prop molded in one piece. On it, the blades cannot be replced and the whole unit must be renewed. Joe.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I will have about 3000 or so hours on this great C-Dory I might be able to let you know what my choice would be . But for know I running 3 blades factory aluminum, next set probably will try Ring Prop if they do work. It will be nice if the don't well, I will sadly be out of about 500 big ones!... Gary
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running a 4 blade Solas 15 pitch on a 90 ETEC, get 5100 WOT and just shy of 32 mph. Next summer I'm going to try a 4 blade Propulse to see what I get with a 16 pitch composite. I voted for the 4 blade as it seems to generate more thrust when applying the throttle from moderate RPM trying to stay up with a following sea.
38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted (now that I'm back Smile ) I'm for the OEM 3-blade as well. Tried a lot of props... what works best in almost all situations is the stock Yamaha props Thumbs Up

Hey... how come the stupid spell checker does not know "I'm" .... irritatin Exclamation Angry can ya smarten-it-up any Question
Disgust
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redƒox wrote:

Hey... how come the stupid spell checker does not know "I'm" .... irritatin Exclamation Angry can ya smarten-it-up any Question
Disgust

We all knew you were irritating Moon Xmas Naughty so the automation wasn't necessary. Oh.... you meant doesn't know the spelling of the word "I'm", sorry. Laughing

Last edited by rogerbum on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... daooh ... Embarrased
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a propulse prop. Adjusted it to 16" pitch. The first check now shows performance similar to the Honda data. However, this was Labor Day, and anything over 15 knts was asking for trouble. I'll run a curve later.

boris
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: