The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF40 lower unit gear case crack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swf

City/Region: Gulf Islands Canada
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Honda BF40 lower unit gear case crack Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a pair of Honda 40’s. They have roughly 400 and 250 hours respectively (Stbd motor used for salmon trolling, hence the difference). The boat is a 2002 and I think the motors are also. They start and run perfectly. I have been happily using the boat since our purchase earlier this Spring. However, while at anchor after a recent trip across the Strait of Georgia, I noticed that both motors have a crack in the lower unit gear case forward of the propeller. I have read on other forums that this may be a well known Honda problem perhaps related to corrosion emanating from a lower bearing retainer nut.

My questions are two fold. Do I need to have the lower units replaced by perhaps just buying a new gear case and swapping out the innards, or can this sort of crack be welded? Second and more pressing issue is, can I run the motors safely for now, or am I on the edge of ending up with two defunct engines 10 miles from land at any moment? I would really like not to have the boat out of service for the rest of the summer. Anyone else had this issue? I have no idea how the cracks developed but understand from Mr. Google that I am not alone.

Thanks
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw I would look for an experienced repair welder

awful engineering

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of repairs having been made for this problem. Be sure that the prop shaft/bearings are still aligned, after the heat of the welding. I would think that it would be safer to take the lower unit off the engine for welding--no chance of damage to the engine electronics/computer/charging output.

J B weld has been used as at least a temporary repair. In any case the crack has to be ground put properly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Honda BF40 lower unit gear case crack Reply with quote

swf wrote:
Hi all,

I have a pair of Honda 40’s. They have roughly 400 and 250 hours respectively (Stbd motor used for salmon trolling, hence the difference). The boat is a 2002 and I think the motors are also. They start and run perfectly. I have been happily using the boat since our purchase earlier this Spring. However, while at anchor after a recent trip across the Strait of Georgia, I noticed that both motors have a crack in the lower unit gear case forward of the propeller. I have read on other forums that this may be a well known Honda problem perhaps related to corrosion emanating from a lower bearing retainer nut.

My questions are two fold. Do I need to have the lower units replaced by perhaps just buying a new gear case and swapping out the innards, or can this sort of crack be welded? Second and more pressing issue is, can I run the motors safely for now, or am I on the edge of ending up with two defunct engines 10 miles from land at any moment? I would really like not to have the boat out of service for the rest of the summer. Anyone else had this issue? I have no idea how the cracks developed but understand from Mr. Google that I am not alone.

Thanks

An aluminum casting is porous and laced with pockets of impurities & tough to weld when new. Add some salt corrosion
and a little gear oil, the labor to grind, clean & weld will possibly be a wash with the cost of a new housing. I just spent 2, 10 hr days tig welding a 6" crack in my Suzuki anti cav plate. (caused by some don driving SOB in the harbor) Good luck on your repair & let us know how it turns out.

Beer Beer
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posting above. Yes it can be done. Even still, I am a very proficient TIG welder and opted not to even try the repair when mine cracked years ago. While the lower units are expensive, they are not that expensive.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda BF40 lower unit gear case crack Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
swf wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

An aluminum casting is porous and laced with pockets of impurities & tough to weld when new. Add some salt corrosion
and a little gear oil, the labor to grind, clean & weld will possibly be a wash with the cost of a new housing. I just spent 2, 10 hr days tig welding a 6" crack in my Suzuki anti cav plate. (caused by some don driving SOB in the harbor) Good luck on your repair & let us know how it turns out.

Beer Beer

Should read Non Driving SOB Wink
swf

City/Region: Gulf Islands Canada
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2002
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I have opted to buy new lower units and not weld the cracks, or use JB weld.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: