View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Greetings and a newbie question Reply with quote

Hi Brats, I've been lurking awhile learning about these cool boats, and now I have my first question. How athletic does one need to be to go forward on a C-Dory? There does not appear to be much foot room or any margin for error! There also appears to be a distance up front where there is nothing to hold on to. Is that correct? Is it an issue to go forward to anchor when there is a bit of wave action?
I am not as agile as I once was and something other than slim!

We are exploring pocket cruisers for our retirement and while there are many cool boats out there there are few owners groups as fun as this one!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Greetings and a newbie question Reply with quote

I would think adding a couple of hand hold rails where you think you would need them would fairly simple and relatively inexpensive. Some have added rails right on both sides of the front brow. I would get in touch with a local owner and arrange to walk to the bow with the boat in the water. I'm something other than trim and did it all the time on our 23 without ever falling off.
D.D.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never had an issue with going forward, though I will admit: I was usually at the helm, and the Blonde is the one who went to the bow when necessary. The hand-hold rails are conveniently located on the top, and as Dave stated, it is easy enough to add shorter versions to the brow. I used the brow itself, with no problem. If conditions are more than you are comfortable with on the coaming, you can always go through the hatch over the V-berth.

These are pretty smart boats, very functional. The CD-25 was our retirement boat and did all we asked of it - great couple's cruiser!

Good luck with the search - you've picked the perfect place to start here with the C-Brats.

Jim
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the hatch about half the time and walk around the rest. Having footwear that grips the non-skid is helpful and it only takes a few seconds to know if a pair of shoes is good or not. Barefoot works really well also.

We cheated and put a huge rack over the boat that I use as a handhold when I am circling the boat.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above comments and suggestions. I'm not young, not very limber and have big feet. I planned all likely moves, tried them out ahead of time at the dock or in very calm conditions, used the radar arch, roof rail, and my own added-on hand rails every time I went forward. If I was alone or in rough conditions, I used a safety line. I never came close to going overboard handling the anchor or getting the dinghy on or off the roof. It's a very good idea to get aboard one of these boats to see how comfortable you feel.

Here are the added hand rails people have mentioned. I found them really helpful getting around the "corner" where there is a gap between the roof rail and the bow rail.

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: going forward Reply with quote

What they said. Also, CD's have the best non-skid that I have ever seen. It grips to the point of being brutal on bare feet. One hand on the grab rail at all times and you should be OK. Welcome aboard.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 80 and have back problems,--still able to go forward without difficulty. We also put two sets of extra handles all of the way aft thru the "lip" of the cabin house top. Ours forward are slightly longer than the ones shown by Noro Lim. We are putting similar handles on my son's 25 "cruise ship", even though the hand rails on the cabin house are nearer the outside edge, and the roof is flat, without the hump in the center in the 22's and newer 25's.

The aft hand rails, make it much easier getting in and out of the cockpit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BillE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Our choice of boat is going to include ease of access and ease of exit from a dock, from another boat, and from the water. We are not quite the invalids I may be making us out to be, but my wife's main hesitation on getting a boat is the issues which I just mentioned, and I very much want to keep her happy.
I'm happy that she will even consider another boat after some learning-to-sail misadventures many years ago--I tacked before she was ready, she got conked by the boom, among other thing---so I'm treading carefully here. I knew better than to mention "sail" again, but she thinks C-Dorys are cute! Never underestimate the cute factor!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: TC255 Reply with quote

BillE,
You didn't specify what your goals are...just puttering down the TN and inland lakes and rivers? Not much real 'wave action' there. Or into the ocean or Bahamas, 3 day vs 30 day cruising?
The TCC255 meets and exceeds all your requirements, (no C-Dory is 'Cuter' per Eileen) including always having a railing in one hand and another in reach of the other, including up front and on the engine bracket as well as inside (except in the California Queen Size V-berth). A real head that's not by the bed. So much storage that it's a constant battle to keep the weighed rig wgt under 12,000#. Rides through Gulf chop likes it's on rails and stable like a barge at rest. If conditions go south, you'll be safe and dry and comfortable, and Contenders and Regulators may choose to ride in your wake if they have any sense. Any cheap Coleman RV AC will keep your summer nights cool and dry.
Downsides, expensive (cats have 65% more fiberglass, and most of the cost of a boat is the lbs of fiberglass used), most owners use a 3/4 ton diesel truck or equiv to be happy towing continent wide (but cheap on the used market) an expensive almost-custom trailer, and relatively complex systems (for example, there are 8 different 12v water pumps not including the engines).
Still cheaper than any comp Ranger R-27 (55 SF vs 50 SF cockpit). A nice 255 is for sale here scroll down on the right.
I admit that you can have 90% of the capability and fun at under 50% of the overall total cost in a 22-25 C-Dory if you don't go out or come back in hairy or Small Craft Advisory conditions and both keep a sense of humor and love of life as it comes at you.
Happy hunting!
John

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your issue about deploying the anchor. We have anchors which will self launch--and with a windlass, you don't really have to go forward until the anchor is set. We avoid going forward underway for the most part. But after the anchor is set, we do put on snubbing lines to cleats on each side of the bow. Also we take the anchor load off the windlass.

At Lake Powell, (Or any non tidal beach) many of the boats go "stern to the beach"--with a bow anchor dropped as you back to the beach. The boats are shoal enough draft, that you can often step form the swim step to dry beach, with out getting your feet wet.
knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put "jack lines" around the boat and clip in when things are sketchy. I too am "not small" and the boat heals over when I have to go forward. I have never fallen off ,but I have scared myself a few times. The ropes really help. By the way the "cute factor" has earned us great conversation, free moorage, free ice and many more unseen perks. Ohhhhh what a cute boat!
BillE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, our goals are; first, get comfortable handling the boat in the lake. Later, do some river cruising on the Cumberland. Finally, would love to take the Tennessee to the Tenn-Tom down to Mobile Bay and over to Apalachicola (where we would love to retire). IF we manage all that then we can start on our Bahamas dream!

I agree that the Tomcat looks great for comfort and stability, but even used is going to be a bit over budget for our "starter boat".
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what Lake you refer to. We spend occasional days on Pickwick, where we have friends who liven the Tenn. side.

If you go down the Tom Bigby Waterway, be sure to give us a shout, and drop by our house on Perdido Bay, just before Pensacola. All facilities are available for C Brats...a few beers included...
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come see us at Wefings next trip down , sounds like we'll be neighbors some day ! We have a good supply of boats here almost all the time and we will take the time to help you make the right choice . Right now we have 2- 25s , a 16 Cruiser and 2 22s ,as well as a 23 Venture and a Rosborough 246 on the lot . I try to keep our dealership the closest thing to a small boat cruising Disneyland as I can !
Marc

BillE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc we plan on seeing you in October. We have been vacationing in your part of the GC for years and just discovered that you have all the cool boats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: