View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Suggested routes from Bellingham Wa to Lake Powell Ut Reply with quote

Just wondering what folks that have made the trip would suggest in the way of what routes to travel to trailer our boat from Bellingham to Lake Powell. Thanks
D.D.

Devonaire

City/Region: Baker City
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Ration
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Route to Lake Powell Reply with quote

DD,

I just Googled Bellingham to Bullfrog Marina, The only part of the route I don't care for is through Salt Lake... either early early in the morning or Late at night to get through there with less traffic. I usually take The route of I 90 to I 82 to I 84 then get off at Twinfalls and head south on US 93 south of Ely NV take 50 and head over to Delta UT, then stay on 50/15 to 50 and pick up 70 south of Salina UT. This is about 6 hrs longer according to Google but I am usually not in a hurry. I think that Google figures your doing 70 and 80 mph were possible, and that Bellingham is only 6 hrs from my home in Baker City , but it takes me 9 hours to tow my Boat from home to Bellingham, Seattle Traffic. Baker City is a Good stop for the night, Barley Browns Brew pub best food in town and, good beer! I might be home at that time so stay in touch if you think you'll be stopping. 541-519-7419.

Devon
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct! Salt Lake City, WORST RUSH HOUR ON PLANET EARTH!!!

It's something in the water!
Will-C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Suggested routes from Bellingham Wa to Lake Powell Ut Reply with quote

Not going till late September but just wanted to get an idea of the suggested route. I usually research some campgrounds for stops along the way. Thank you both for the heads up on Salt Lake City. It can't be worse than Chicago.
D.D.
Fairbro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced both. The main difference is that in Chicago they try to scare you but don't actually run into you. Laughing
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt Lake City is the closest large city area to us & we fairly frequently drive the freeway routes around & through it. During storms or when accidents occur it can be as bad as Devon & Gary Suggest, but as a general rule this city area, I find much preferable to many others & much better than the LA area, Bay Area, Seattle, Denver & most US Eastern high population areas. Of course it's always best to avoid the morning & evening commute hours if possible, but we've many times had to make appointments during the commute there & have not been delayed.

For the best advise on Salt Lake City travel, I would PM Jody Kidd, as he drives this area for work & pleasure on a daily basis.

Jay

Fairbro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest I only did it once 3 years ago in November during late afternoon. No problem with stopped traffic or delays, just very scary (to me) high speed crisis cross lane changes with very little clearance. I think at one point about half way through I was on a 6 lane near downtown that split up into 3 different directions. Does that soun right?
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo traffic is no worse than any other metropolitan area. Try to travel through during the middle of the day, not morning or evening rush hours. Sunday any time is best followed by Saturday. I would go through SLC any day before Houston or Seattle or Phoenix or Denver during rush hour.

Bullfrog is the closest marina, but Wahweap would be a few hours further if you want to concentrate on the lower part of the lake.

I would go I-5 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84 into the SLC area. Then I-15 to Spanish Fork, Ut. Then Ut 6 to Ut 191 to I-70, Ut 24 to Ut 95 finally Ut 276 to Bullfrog Marina.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Will-C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Suggested routes from Bellingham Wa to Lake Powell Ut Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information. We will probably stop and hit campgrounds near Baker City,OR and Logan, UT and then on to Bullfrog.
D.D.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have driven thru SLC with both the RV and boat multiple times. Although traffic can be bad, it is no where as bad as a number of major cities. (We just towed my son's 25 thru LA which was stop and go from San Fernando to San Clemente--over 80 miles...)

We like to launch at Wahweep, but it is a bit further than to Bull Frog. A lot depends on where you want to go after the visit to Powell. If you want to stay North, then Bull Frog. If you want to go I 40 or I 10, then Wahweep. Same if you want to go to Vegas, or LA etc.

We leave I 15 at Scipio, and take 50 toward Salina, but take the cut off 24 toward Aurora. Hit I 74 toward Richfield, and take 89 S at Sevier. Keep on 89 (not 89A) at Kanab to Big Water and Powell/Page. This is a scenic route, going near Bryce and Zion. Along the entire route there are many interesting stops if you want to take the time.

Have a great trip, and looking forward to your report and photos on cruising Powell. Either route is great. If you go Bull Frog, do any provisioning at the Walmart at Price. On the lake or near the lake fuel prices are higher. Not positive about diesel prices on the lake however.

We like the lower lake better than the lake above Bull Frog. I also think it is worth the time to go to the San Juan Arm. A lot depends on the amount of time you will have on the lake.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route Brent describes is the one we have taken the three times we launched at Bullfrog. It is probably the most direct route. Dropping down at Spanish Fork and going through Price is really easier than the description makes it sound and is the most direct. The first night is problematic, maybe the best spot is at the summit of the Blue Mountains in OR, the Emigrant Springs campground, 380 miles from Bellingham. The Walmart in Jerome, ID, 310 miles further, is a great spot for the next night, and the Walmart in Price for the final night is 344 miles farther. From Price it is only about four more hours to Bullfrog. You could drive farther each day and cut a day out of course but it becomes a question of where you will stop for the night unless you are prepared to do a couple of 600 mile days!

Discovery wrote:
Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo traffic is no worse than any other metropolitan area. Try to travel through during the middle of the day, not morning or evening rush hours. Sunday any time is best followed by Saturday. I would go through SLC any day before Houston or Seattle or Phoenix or Denver during rush hour.

Bullfrog is the closest marina, but Wahweap would be a few hours further if you want to concentrate on the lower part of the lake.

I would go I-5 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84 into the SLC area. Then I-15 to Spanish Fork, Ut. Then Ut 6 to Ut 191 to I-70, Ut 24 to Ut 95 finally Ut 276 to Bullfrog Marina.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Suggested routes from Bellingham Wa to Lake Powell Ut Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. We are in Idaho falls and headed for Coeur d Alene Idaho tomorrow. Then North Bend WA next and then to a Bellingham campground where we will stop and try to get our wits about us or whatever that means. I'll give a call you when we get settled. We will try to make the C-Brat gathering up in Powell River if possible. I'm hoping to make to Princess Louisa and Chatterbox Falls in this lifetime. After we get done ruining the neighborhood in the northwest we plan to head for Lake Powell. Thanks everyone for all the information. Hope to get boat in the water soon God willing.
D.D.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan, Dave! From Powell River it isn't far to Princess Louisa, and that is a destination not to be missed! One of the most spectacular in this neck of the woods! The high cliffs are amazing and the waterfalls right by the docks is so beautiful!

And Lake Powell, what can I say? It is simply such a unique spot, but you need the Stan Jones Map. It is much more than a map. Even better if you are cruising with somebody familiar with all the wonderful side canyons!

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My map fell apart so I scanned the pieces and made into a PDF and now it's in my Ipad. I always have it with me every where I go.

Will-C

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Suggested routes from Bellingham Wa to Lake Powell Ut Reply with quote

It's a small world sometimes. We were checking back into the U.S at Roche Harbor after about three weeks in B.C. when we ran into Devon one of the posters in this thread who is from Baker City. Devon was also checking back in to the U.S. with the customs folks and was standing right next to me. Who would of thought this could even happen? Nice to have met you Devon. We ended up back in Bellingham at the end of the day.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: