The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brakes locking up in reverse with plug off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Brakes locking up in reverse with plug off Reply with quote

I know this has been hashed over before but I can't find it in the search. When I remove the plug to launch the boat the brakes lock up immediatley in reverse. So what am I doing wrong?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what am I doing wrong?

Removing the plug.

You have to have 12v going to the lockout solenoid to back up. The King trailer does not have a mechanical stop that I know of to keep the brakes locked out.

If you really want, you can back right down to the edge of the water, remove the plug with the trailer on the ramp slope, and let it and the truck roll back from there. Then replug the lights at the top of the ramp. But that's too much of a pain for me. The lights are in supposedly sealed bubbles, and mine have never burned out from the water.

You could rig up a jumper from the truck's backup lights to the solenoid valve. Or you could drill a hole through the surge actuator for a pin to keep it from moving. But even as much as I like gadgets I think either of those would be too much hassle. The light assemblies cost twenty bucks, and in a few years they will probably burn out on their own anyway.

Besides, the red lights are kinda pretty in the water.

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike, don't unplug the trailer!

Also, once the angle of the ramp makes it so you don't need reverse pop the truck in nuetral. That way you will have all 4 truck wheels braking for you rather than just the fronts. And it will be a simple matter to drop it in drive if needed. On a stick I usually put it in first gear with my foot on the clutch. The last thing you want is to power yourself down into the water while launching because the ramp is too slippery for only having brakes on the front wheels.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never unplug the lights, but if you want you can unplug and stick a rod in the space just in front of the control box. How do I explain this? There are two half moon metal things coming out of the front of the control box. there is room between the inside of them and the control box. if you put a rod in that gap, then the cup part of the hitch can not move backwards and can not engage the brakes. then you can unplug and back up. It shows how in the trailers owners manual I think.
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the boat is down hill and being pulled by gravity, the break should not engage - unless you "push" the boat down the ramp. Let the boat pull you down and it should be fine. (If you have surge breaks, they only engage when there is force between the rig and trailer)
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he doesn't have surge brakes - I think he has electric brakes and hence the problem with disconnecting power...
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger -

Pretty sure he has the same trailer I have. They're surge brakes. There is a solenoid valve in the pressure line that is activated by the truck's backup light circuit to close the flow to the brake calipers, so when it is backing up the brakes will not function.

Luna C is right on with his suggestion, unless there are cleats or other bumps on the ramp that allow the truck to overtake the trailer when coasting backward. Once the brake is applied, you usually have to go forward to pull the surge mechanism free because the disc brakes will not allow the boat to roll away from the truck. It can be a real pain. Nine times out of ten, though, it never hangs up. Obviously, Fred is lower than 90%. Maybe because he is unplugging before he is steep enough for gravity to do its thing.

Another problem Fred has is the sheer power of the Cummins deisel. If the truck is in gear, all you have to do is breathe on the throttle and nothing will stop it.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the King surge brakes operate quite a bit differently than the EZ loader... The problem I have with the EZ loader is backing it in to a slightly up-hill spot that has a short downhill run first. I engage the lock but unless I can do it all in one smooth motion (which happens roughly 0% of the time), the latch disengages and I have to hop out to re-engage it (usually several times during the process of putting it in the driveway). I was think that perhaps this problem could only be solved with electric brakes but it sounds like the king setup is better and would alleviate my problem (if it could be mounted on my ez loader)...
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(if it could be mounted on my ez loader)...

Sure it could. Very easily. But I suspect those high pressure sol valves are a bit spendy. Then you need a five connector plug instead of four, and the truck backup circuit has to be tapped into and fed to the trailer. I think all the newer rigs with factory tow packages already have the wiring to the plug, so it would just be a matter of changing connectors on the trailer.

Another option for anyone wanting to easily lockout their brakes manually would be a manual valve inline behind the sol valve. Another simple install, but they aren't cheap either.

Perhaps I should qualify my earlier post. I have a slip in the local marina, and I only launch/retrieve a few tmes a year. If I had to back the lights under water every time I used the boat, it might not be such a hassle to me to come up with a way to disable the brakes when the lights are unplugged. My guess as to what I would do is use a four pole plug for the lights and a fifth single plug for the brakes which I leave plugged in when launching. Yeah, that would be easy. And who knows - the back up wire might even be the oddball one on the connector that is reversed male/female and could be plugged in by itself if you flop one half of the connector over. I'll try that next time I have the rig hooked up.
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred,

I leave the wiring connected but turn off my truck lights when backing down so the lights only go on when I hit the brakes. I also put LED lights on the trailer which I think will handle the water better and I hope longer. Seemed like I was always replacing the bulbs on my jon boat trailer!!!!

I also have a bolt for the surge breaks as backup should any of the wiring become faulty.

Hope all is well.

Crazy John Frazey
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wired the back up light wire as the outside wire on the plug. then you just turn one plug 180 degrees to the side so only the back up light is pluged in to the trailer. really simple and easy.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I just wired the back up light wire as the outside wire on the plug.

Did you have to change the wiring to the plug to get it to the outside? Son, you're a young man, so you probably don't know about the old days when every rig and every trailer was wired differently and a guy had to figure it out each time he hitched something up. Things are finally pretty much standardized nowadays, so I would hate to change something on my truck, or even an adapter. Of course back in those days, we didn't worry so much about the brake circuit because everything was up hill. Both ways. But the dirt for dinner tasted OK the way mom fixed it.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. This problem came up as I was trying to move my boat with my camper on and my boat on a three foot extention off of my reciever. It is a three point hitch extension to take the tongue weight. I could not back the boat into the driveway because of this problem. I am going to make an extention of the wiring so I can tow/back the boat up with the camper on. It would seem that Mikes idea about a valve in the line to prevent the brakes from engaging is the most elegant way around this problem.

Thanks
Fred
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna C is right on the money. This way works fine for us but there is one other thing to remember.

Fred, we have the same truck and I really had a head scratcher about two years ago. While backing or rolling downhill with everything plugged in, my brakes would lock up on the trailer. It took me a week to figure this one out.
At first I thought it was the solenoid or the brakes but it wasn't. It was a bad switch on the truck for the reverse back up lights. And what really drove me nuts, it was an intermittent problem. So, make sure when you put it in reverse the backup lights come on and stay on.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred-

You'll have to bleed the lines after you install the valve, plus get all the threads to fit, etc. The biggest disadvantage of the valve is that it will have to be activated by hand each time you want to back up, an inconvenience, at least, and in an emergency, a real problem.

When I replaced the drum brakes with disks on my trailer last year, I also replaced the actuator (required) and added the back up solenoid lock out. The lock out is only about $35 at Cabelas or Champion Trailers, and the wiring is not difficult at all unless you don't have a factory tow package and have to wire it from the back up lights. Still would be very easy. My two Rupples (sp.)? Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: