The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Purchase from boats.net?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Purchase from boats.net? Reply with quote

I've located a 2013 Yamaha 150HP on boats.net for what appears to be a good price; new in crate. They'll ship it to my local Yamaha dealer for warranty-good installation. Anyone deal with them? They seem to have a good rep online, but thought I'd check here.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a few small items from Boat.net, and no issues. They seem to have a good reputation on "The Hull Truth" (despite some issues on that forum, generally if there are issues with a provider it will show up there).

Just be sure that the hight is correct, and all of the other features are what you want. I have also had good luck buying "scratch and dent" motors. (For example one was a 225 which was shipped on a boat--there was an accident, the cowing was cracked and skeg bent. That could not be sold as a "new motor" and the factory took it back, put on a new cowling and the dealer straightened the skeg with a dead blow hammer and 2 x 4! Saved about 40% off retail.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: yamaha Reply with quote

will that be a little to much HP for a cd -22 . If buying for a cd 22-23 you need a 20 in L shaft motor .The 150 comes in a L and XL 25in
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a 22, will be a 28 when extension and bracket are finished.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to know how your non-factory (?) modifications,
change of vessel length and powering upgrade affects your
insurance and USCG approval, if required.

Have you checked?

Aye.

tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely non-factory. My designs were reviewed by two naval architects and the work is being inspected and signed of on by a respected marine surveyor. My understanding when I started this project was that I needed to jump through those hoops in order to get insurance and to be comfortable eventually selling the boat. I hadn't heard that USCG had to "approve" my boat. I'm using AYBC standards and the USCG handbook for guidance as well as calling the accredited marine surveyor when there's a question. Both N.A.s said they liked what they saw. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I have endeavored to get this right. Which is part of why the project has taken so long...
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Coast Guard approval necessary for this type of project.

See Tom's excellent discussion of what he is doing Here
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
Definitely non-factory. My designs were reviewed by two naval architects and the work is being inspected and signed of on by a respected marine surveyor. .... using AYBC standards and the USCG handbook ....

I see you've done your homework. Good luck with your project.

Aye.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect to get taken to the cleaners for the installation and get a cold service shoulder as well . Unless you have a friend thats a Yamaha dealer .
That undermines the dealer network/service concept and is definitely "bending" if not breaking Yamaha's dealer agreement .
We can usually match their price anyways .

Marc

tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Marc,

Ah, that's some helpful, although not unexpected, advice. I kinda figured that a local dealer might be less than elated about just doing the installation. Oh, and the authorized Yamaha installer here in town was pretty unfriendly and condescending to begin with; he won't be getting my business no matter how cheap they are.

At this point I'm only scratching at the marketplace for engines and have a lot to learn. The engine boats.net were advertising for such an apparently good price is a 2013 new in crate engine that's probably taking up space in their warehouse.

I've thought about calling you to discuss engines and trailers and will likely do so in the pret' near future. Hmmm, 11-hour drive... Shocked Beats 36 though...

Thanks for the input.

T
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Purchase from boats.net? Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
I've located a 2013 Yamaha 150HP on boats.net for what appears to be a good price; new in crate. They'll ship it to my local Yamaha dealer for warranty-good installation. Anyone deal with them? They seem to have a good rep online, but thought I'd check here.

I have purchased a few parts & pieces from Boats.net never any

problem. Down in America you should have no issues Wink

I have purchased two Yamaha engines from non local dealers,

installed them my self and never had any issue with warranty.

Buy what you want, hang it yourself, Grief from any dealer, Call

the Company they represent!
Wink Mr. Green
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom , I would be happy to discuss motors with you anytime .
Seems like with the added buoyancy,planing surface, and length it would push easily with a 115, but also have more capability to hang a larger motor like the 150.
Interesting project !
Marc
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brief, but very enlightening, chat with Marc Grove about the engine mount dimensions on my bracket extension this afternoon that resulted in a good shake-up on my project. I spent long hours researching the best configuration for the bracket I'm building. Finally came up with my best plan and etched it in digital-granite. During our brief chat, Marc made a quick and obvious observation that completely changed my vision of how to configure the engine-mount portion of the bracket. That change will allow much more flexibility for me and anyone else that ends up with this boat.

There's nothing like a team of experienced pros to help a serious novice do it right. My project has quite a team including an N.A., a marine surveyor, a boat restoration pro, and now Mr. Grove. I've learned so much from all of these folks. The boat restoration guy and I Skype occasionally and I show him what I'm doing/considering and he has provided great practical input on how to do it right for the long-term without busting the bank or my back.

The Team:
Iver Franzen http://iverfranzen.com/
Greg Weeter http://www.riverlandsmarine.com/
Andy Miller http://boatworkstoday.com/
Marc Grove http://wefings.com/index.php

The folks listed here are trustworthy, helpful, friendly, courteous, thrifty; you know - Boy Scouts turned pro. Provided I live to see this project completed, this is gonna be nice...
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us what Marc's comments were. I highly respect his opinions.

Thanks.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Bob, but it's a bit embarassing... I was in the final throes of building the bracket core and needed to ensure that the width dimension for the mounting flange were correct; it didn't span the full width (beam) of the bracket. I'd been wracking my brain to determine the minimum distance between the main and kicker since both would be mounted on that flange. I had the Yamaha Rigging Guide open and there was no clear information on that dimension. So, I called Marc who, in a coupla minutes thought to suggest that I make the mounting flange full beam. End of story. Done.

In most of the bracket photos I've seen (Beer-Thirty, for example ) the mounting flange is less than full width, so I decided that was THE way to do it. As he said, the full width gives me all the flexibility I need with no worries about having to determine what the installer will eventually require. And it gives anyone who owns the boat after me flexibility as well.

Also thinking that a 115 might be all the HP I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: