The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Air conditioning options for CD 22 or Venture 23
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcatan2468

City/Region: Naples
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Air conditioning options for CD 22 or Venture 23 Reply with quote

Anyone have any options other than rooftop a/c for a venture 23 ? I really don't like looks of a RV type a/c and cutting into top of a new boat. Any thoughts? Mike
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Air conditioning options for CD 22 or Venture 23 Reply with quote

We had Wefings our dealer install a 9500 BTU unit on the roof of our 2008 Venture. I believe Ventures had a somewhat reinforced roof. It required a 14" hole and it didn't get any extra reinforcement. We saved the removed piece in case someone wanted to return the boat back to stock. We could run the A.C. unit with a Honda EU 2000. We never ran the unit on anything more than low cool. We did use a swing away Caframo Sirocco three speed berth fan in the opening to the V berth. We could not have slept in hot conditions with out the A.C. It kept the boat like a meat locker.
We now have a 2014 R-27 Ranger Tug. It's A.C. unit does not come close to providing the cooling power of the roof top unit with had on the C-Dory.
One of the best dollars spent on a boat option ever in my experience.
D.D.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5000 BTU window AC unit I got for about $100 at WalMart. It fits in the front window. A few pieces of pipe insulation around the window frame seals it nicely. My Honda 1000 will run it if there is no shore power.

The only disadvantage with this setup is that it is not really practical to use will driving the boat. Once at anchor or at a dock it works fine. You also have to be able to lift the AC unit in and out of the window.

We leave the AC unit behind when the weather conditions don't require having it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used the 5,000 BTU "Arctic King" window air conditioner on 2 C Dory22's, on the Tom Cat, (before I put the roof AC in) and on the C Dory 25.

The 5000 BTU is best thru the front window, but also can be thru the front hatch, or even the aft door. Some have even modified an aft window to allow the AC using to be used.

The 5000 BTU unit runs off the EU1000, but to start it usually requires the non eco setting.

There are also "suitcase" air conditioners, where the exhaust hot air is taken out thru a front or side window.

There are also "true marine" air conditioners, which require water cooling, and use considerably more power than the window units.--but don't require lifting etc.

For filling larger spaces--use the styrofoam with foil on both sides. This is cheap and cuts with razor knife. Also using this or the foil containing bubble wrap type , in the glass areas--windows and doors. The roll up bubble wrap is easier to store.
We have found that by using the foam or bubble wrap we can bring the temp down as much as 20 more degrees.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mcatan2468

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bob. Thanks Reply with quote

Bob: What I was getting at was you comment about marine a/c. Specifically, Dometic ECD 6000. I was wondering if you or anyone has ever seen a unit like this installed in a C-Dory?
https://youtu.be/TAT12lX5Uak
Mike
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob. Thanks Reply with quote

mcatan2468 wrote:
Bob: What I was getting at was you comment about marine a/c. Specifically, Dometic ECD 6000. I was wondering if you or anyone has ever seen a unit like this installed in a C-Dory?
https://youtu.be/TAT12lX5Uak
Mike

I have not seen that specific unit, but have seen similar units, including owning a 27 foot express cruiser with a 5,000 BTU unit. They should run off a Honda EU 2000I. They are too thirsty to run off batteries and an inverter, although I have run the one I had off a 440 amp hours bank. That is just too much lead for the C Dory 23.

They are more expensive, you have to put in a thru hull for water intake, you have to have a water discharge thru hull (the intake will probably be thru the cored part of the hull.) You cannot run this type when using the boat as a camper, or when the boat is on a trailer or lift.

They do take up some storage room--both the compressor/blower, the ducting and then where to put the condensate drain, an overboard sump pump for any condensate? The reason the RV and window are so popular is that they are cheap and easy--no worry with all of the plumbing issues. Army Corp of Engineers uses the RV type on their work boats. Some tug boats use the RV type because of the simplicity. We used an RV type on a hard top flying bridge on a 42 foot trawler, which had 48,000 BTU installed in the main saloon, Galley, and two Staterooms. (built in thru hull, run the generator type).

There is a 25 currently for sale with a similar AC unit installed (plus a generator).
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a camper cockpit enclosure on my 22 that I adapted to a 5000 btu window air conditioner. I made a small shelf that held it out over the splash well so that only the front vents and controls peeked through the rear cockpit curtain. I pop riveted a channel onto the sides and top of the a/c chassis to slip the surround (shelf board) into. It blew cool air all the way forward into the v berth. The pictures are near the end of my "Minnie Swann" album. I'd post them if I knew how. It worked great. I never used it underway but it could be easily fastened down for that I'm sure.

It's something in the water!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the photo:

The caption says 8500 BTU AC unit.??

Although this may work in WI, or at least in some central climes, I don't think it will work in our hot weather of Florida. We never needed AC on the lake at powell, because the nights cool off--but on land, using the boat as a "camper", you may want AC--if you go that far.

Another option instead of AC,if the temp is not severe are fans. We have used a 14" "Endless Breeze" fan held in place by dowels or pieces of wood over the forward hatch. Also we have used a battery operated fan (Ryobi) on the deck, directed toward the hatch cover open 45 degrees. We each have fans above our heads in the V Berth. We have used these larger fans pulling air in from the forward opening window.
Fairbro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the picture. The only time we used it was when heat and humidity made sleeping difficult. The temp differential was amazeing given the uninsulated space. But hey, when climate change is complete, who knows what we'll need. You may just need a heater down there.
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos 3 and 13 in the Bixby's Cub album show a 5,000 BTU unit permanently mounted in the rear window of a 22. The mounting bracket and support struts are fabricated of welded aluminum. The glass was removed from the window frame and replaced with plexiglas cut to fit.
mcatan2468

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for comments. Here is another question . Is air conditioning an absolute necessity for a c-dory in south Florida?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Said by one who isn't a Floridian, but who's been there.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent years anchoring in the tropics in sail boats, just using windscoops. With power boats & marinas with no wind. A C is almost essential!
Fairbro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the necessity of A/C on a C-dory: it can get very hot and humid up here in Wisconsin but while underway, even when in no-wake areas, I've never seen a need for over a decade of cruising. HOWEVER, trying to get to sleep on a hot night it is absolutely needed.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: ac Reply with quote

Mike,
no disagreements with any of the above.
If you have an opening front window, well aimed Caframo or other high quality 12v fans, and a big insulated mug of iced gatorade, you will be comfortable even at idle speeds over 4MPH in south Florida. Dip any high-tech fabric cap and T-shirt in cold water and wear that too if over 98 degrees in the cabin and you'll be cold.
Also agree, that sleeping aboard in these conditions is near intolerable for the over -40 set without air conditioning. We slept in tents with 12v fans all summer at Horn Island when our boat was a Mako-23 shuttle boat SUV under age 40...but not since.
A Coleman RV rooftop AC is the best AC option...cheap, easy to install, effective, uncomplicated, and adds to the 'ghetto-chic' look that C-Brats strive for. Choose the low-profile or Powersaver versions for sleekness or Honda 2000i power capability. A 2010 Coleman 13.5k roof unit gets our TC255 down to 72 degrees by 8pm (Eileen's fav sleeping temp) starting from our typical 95 degrees on return to the dock at 5pm.
A 'true' marine seawater AC unit is a complicated mess on a C-dory and not worth the trouble or expense.
If my C-Dory looks more like an Army Corps of Engineers workboat and less like some Sea-Ray dock queen, I like it that way.
Cheers, and have fun deciding!
John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: