The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boarding assistance for limited mobility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Boarding assistance for limited mobility Reply with quote

My parents are moving to be closer to us and they are going to want to go out with us on our 22. My mom has some back issues and uses a cane or walker for longer walks and has trouble with stairs, but can do some. I am trying to figure out a safe way to let her get in and out of the boat from a fixed pier. The boat is not on a lift. She will be extremely disappointed if she can't go in the boat, but I need to ensure her safety. Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My octogenarian (+) thoughts on this:

1. "Disappointment" is far better than serious injury or worse.

2. Younger more nimble persons injure themselves by falls boarding, on board
and disembarking boats (my experiences over decades).

3. Your guilt, if your parent is injured, from facilitating such activity will far
outweigh your anticipated pleasure for doing something 'fun' for your parents.

4. Most likely, in your parent's lives, their log of truly pleasurable experiences
will not be tarnished by missing out on a ride or so on your C-Dory 22; in fact,
it may be enhanced.

5. Good intentions often have undesirable outcomes.

Aye.
PS: As an alternative, spend some more time with them discussing a mutually
meaningful topic.

Reelin2

City/Region: Ferndale
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
Photos: Reelin2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just experienced this with my dad, he’s mid 80’s, 250 lbs, not very mobile but not to the point of needing a cane. I have a crab Davit on the boat, he was able to use that as a handhold for support while he stepped on an ice chest inside the boat (Multiple people assisted and the ice chest was supported very well, no possibility of slipping). The docks in our area are at the height of the gunnel so another option is sitting on the dock and turning into the boat. Also consider picking them up at an alternate location if it would make boarding easier.

I would do any with the utmost thoughts to safety. Also keep in mind the water conditions as a rough boat ride could cause injury as well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what Foggy posts. However my mother (who was blind) went on our boats with us, including two of our trips to AK, when she was in her late 80s. We made sure that there were plenty of hand holds, and supervised her going up and down the companionway ladder (more like a stair case). Our aft stateroom in the Cal 46 had our queen sized bunk on one side and a settee which made into upper and lower bunks on the starboard side. We had her sleep in the lower bunk, which was "sitting distance" from the floor. She went with us a few years later on the Symbol Sundeck, aft cabin "trawler"--she slept in the forward cabin, but we always helped her in and out of the bunk She also rode in our 20' Grady White walk around while she was in her early to mid 90's.

I am 87 and am having problems with boarding and climbing ladders and this is why we gave up the last C Dory 25. My advice is to be sure that there are good hand holds available, preferably on both sides of the gunnel. For example a Bimini with SS 1" pipe which is solidly fixed both fore and aft, as is in the Tom Cat 255 in my album, below; note that the SS pipe is well secured fore and aft to the deck, not a railing or thin aluminum tubing.

I have added handicap handrails on the pilings holding up our boat lift on the shore side. I can bring the gunnel near to the dock/deck level. That way, I can use the hand grip, plus there are two "boxes" built in about 15" above the deck on the Caracal Cat, and one can step on the gunnel, then down about 12" to the "box", and we have a folding step which is 8" high, so to that next.

For the C Dory 22, you should bring the boat as close to a gunnel height at the dock, or above the gunnel, so your mother could easily step to the gunnel, then to a solid box, and folding type of step, with you and another on both sides to give her balance. She should be sitting all of the time when underway. Talk her through the procedure and see if she feels comfortable.

Another good way is to have the C Dory 22 gunnel 15 to 16 inches above the dock and then have her sit on the gunnel and pivot her feet into the cockpit, and then she can slide down to a stool, or sturdy storage box before stepping onto the aft deck in your 22. Again, have someone on each side if her for strength and stability.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also by aware that hull pounding can cause back injuries in elderly people because they are not as resilient to large shocks as younger people. Seating them farther back on the boat is better.
gstraub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. I hear you, Foggy. This is her request and if we can't accomplish it safely, it will not happen for all the reasons you mentioned. Bob, we have a sailboat as well, Wauquiez Centurion 41, and although a more stable platform, I don't see her navigating the cockpit very well, so that is unlikely to happen, and besides, she likes power boats!

We only have about 18" of tide here and the dock is ours, so I have thought about sliding the C-Dory back until it grounds on the sand/mud to make it stable for boarding. With a typical tide, the gunwale should be near the height of the pier. I'm also looking at some portable stairs with a handrail for getting into the cockpit. Not something we would normally use, but something we could put in if she comes along.

No matter what, I'll have to evaluate the situation when she arrives. Just looking for ideas that I may not have thought of.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in favor of Vitamin Sea - it is good for the soul. With care and planning, it can be safely accomplished. Don't trust someone with balance or mobility issues to be able to hold themselves up while boarding. With help (on each side) and NOT holding the person involved by their hands; give them something to grip that is solid (even though their grip may not be great). You can use a belt or web strap around the torso for more secure leverage.

On the commercial boats I used to drive, bringing someone onboard with physical limitations is a responsibility not to be taken lightly. But worth the extra effort when you can see the joy that time on the water brings.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if anybody values self-preservation, self-ambulation and the like,
follow Dirty Harry's good advice.

Quote:
A man [aka a person] has got to know his limitations.

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm also looking at some portable stairs with a handrail for getting into the cockpit. Not something we would normally use, but something we could put in if she comes along.

You can make portable stats in "ultra light" configuration, by using "Door skins" and 1x2's with epoxy resin. My dad started this for us in an 8' long "gang plank"--and we improved on it to hold people up to 250#, dogs and even our motor bikes. The door skins provide the shear panels, and the actual weight taken by the 1x2 in I beam configuration.
Tom Hruby

City/Region: Lacey
C-Dory Year: 2024
Photos: Tom Hruby
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are having our C-Dory 22 built this spring I have had similar questions about the safest way to get in and out of the boat (i am 75 and want to use the boat as long as I can). For someone with mobility problems I would suggest a large waterproof "camping or travel" box that is about 16-18 in high with a large surface area that can be stepped on and will support at least 300 lbs. For example, Grainger has an aluminum box that will support 400 lbs. The best and most expensive ones are sold by stores catering to river rafting. The next step down can be a folding step stool (metal not plastic) that is used to get in and out of RV's. Many are adjustable for height. Another option is to search restaurant supply sites that carry aluminum "dunnage racks". These will carry at least 800 lbs and provide a stable and large platform to stand on as the first step. All they need is a piece of plywood to cover the ribs. I will be using them to create a cover for my batteries, a first step, and additional seating in the cockpit.

For additional handholds I suggest the folding handholds available for getting into RV's. These are 16" or 20+" and can be attached vertically to the cabin bulkhead. The C-dories do come with a small handle but that mayt not be enough.
gstraub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I saw some "RV steps" with a handrail that might work for a temporary solution, but it isn't something I would leave in place. I'll look into the box idea as well. I'll be searching for something more permanent eventually, as we are not getting any younger either!
Tom Hruby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found in by previous boat is that the first step from the dock needs to be at least 12" deep and 16" wide. 20" wide is better since it allows one to put both feet on the step before stepping down to the second step. If it is at least 15" deep it can also act as a seat in the cockpit. Until I find the best spot for my batteries I will be using a folding step stool found on Amazon that is larger than most.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CLHKLYZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
An adjustable, folding, large platform second step is something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QQ4DNQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread on this site about steps from the gunwale down to the cockpit deck that had attachments to the inside walls of the gunwale.

With mounts on both sides you can board from either side of the boat by moving the steps.

Something like these:

https://www.westmarine.com/garelick-cockpit-steps-P005_158_002_007.html

IMO, something that is firmly attached to the boat is better than a loose box (or the like) for someone of reduced mobility.

The steps mentioned in the link seem to be discontinued by the manufacturer, but you may still be able to find them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305402069445?itmmeta=01HS9PD7MMN0K0X2V65TK7P9VR&hash=item471b61c1c5:g:nL0AAOSwT1tl0ALW&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8H83BRQdZ5ru8PvwAh0eRIyn2D67KVYXHczVrXHUG68MpQ8GvEqcKEi0KlNz6U8qJslW4M6sozZOh8QN4ExQsJa877OXEehHBEeXWFt5mRNZ8%2BPYXnR3OPeKuOv1FwLgDWFopZYpSEagqJT5H29E3r7JKQQ2zaxdHaWKjkUg4WrTDTDfvm7jmMs%2FnrW9u1l9UaNaWh5aXRd1lvP97LNZCgBRIg7VKp%2F51OkCsdN8YI9dm0FmU8KAw6KNpIdqpv%2Fk2U8xckhT5e7y2k6T9ew3Eq4w%2FfDURuE8jDFWV5lqCpGHrKKeT8HMZtq1AmLXppgFAQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMuvq0tspj

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266541639219?epid=1218878726&itmmeta=01HS9PD7MMAHX3DEC9QE7B7MDT&hash=item3e0f1ea633:g:-BwAAOSww49laDEs&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8G0ojBcoLAkSOLS9DNNnuhdzAQOv9sAeI%2F8PpZkI7hq4xUIJsedNtS%2BM%2F1BVrMLa2WB%2BD9hZFYNVmMG8xTy0sRE7RsVlpYEU7K5IzVPK4pBERLgjQlOFxMjIHoqjBfQFok%2BArzMBAo%2FwQ0uvuH%2F22MBibOR67JLhAQkvM%2FrI3Wn692S0ovubXPjLpBKz%2FbHFcq5WmwbGEy8X2oJQYTjgZnkkbQQHoV4MNh1Wc4uEPPbSnCZTWolgosciDiCJo%2BiAuaH4hyGzt7cf6aZLIkH3PpXd0vr7KcVUTkr0luFXN5seS6a324%2BVfzWHA5L6nPfu1g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMuvq0tspj
Tom Hruby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Garelick steps are an option, and I even considered them for our boat. I think they are still available on Amazon. My one issue with them, however, is that the steps are too narrow and one has to climb down them backwards. Turing around on the deck is difficult for those with mobility problems. Stepping down facing forwards on these narrow steps can cause issues with balance. At a minimum the steps need to be at least 10 inches wide for me to be comfortable stepping down on them.

I agree that the steps need to be anchored to the side in some way. I will be looking at options once my boat is finished and I can bring it home. I definitely will have steps that are anchored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: