The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if I'm down at the marina working on the boat every day. Yesterday I went down just to empty the dehumidifiers. As I was leaving, I saw my shore power cord and inlet plug in the water, and a hole in the boat where the inlet used to be. There was a kayak on the finger between No Pressure and my neighbor's sailboat. I assumed he must have dropped the kayak on my shore power cord while trying to lift the heavy kayak out of the water. I was peeved. I later found out that the finger was full of sea lions and someone scared them off. At least one of them jumped on the cord. I spent the afternoon replacing the shore power and moving the cord so I won't have to deal with my neighbor's side of the dock.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to make some new window screens for the aft two windows in my cabin. (port side and in the head). I had made two initially as the boat was missing them. I just perfected my process and made some new ones. (If anyone would like the first ones, I'll hang on to them for a while before I throw them out. Just let me know.) Colby

Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our last outing we hosted the Club commodore, her husband and Father Nick to do the Blessing of the Fleet,including our boat, prior to a sailboat race,

Returning to our marina, we dropped off the guests. While maneuvering to our slip, the port engine shifting seemed stiff. The next day I went back to check it out and it became frozen half way into Reverse gear. I told Eileen, “I don’t think that Blessing did much good.” We wrestled the big girl onto the trailer with one engine and dropped the boat off at Key Marine for that and annual service.

Three days later the head tech called to say the good engine refused to turn over at all…turns out due to a totally fried start relay. Since being stuck in a marina slip with TWO inop engines would have been awful, I recanted my ‘blessing’ critique…we would hate to try to ‘paddle’ Cat O’ Mine a quarter mile onto the trailer…I don’t think it’s even possible.

The shift issue good news is that it’s a ball detent gizmo $34 in total parts in the vertical shift section.

The bad news is that to get to it, the entire powerhead has to be removed, which is $1,300 in labor that ‘takes all day.’

The other good news is we’re all fixed up in seven days for under 3.5 Boat Units as the only significant expense on the 2010/2011 engines ever when almost to 2024.

Could be worse!
We will definitely get the blessing again next year.

John

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilt/trim seal blew on the port motor.
Mechanic suggested replacing both sides at the same time, and it was good that he did.
The OEM parts were discountinued and both sides now have new seals and the newer pressure caps which hopefully eliminate any future issues.

Since it's time for a new calendar, it also must be time to check the trailer wiring and replace the lights again.
Yep, it's time. Very Happy

Extra Tomcat bonus: Sitting in the tunnel to do work.

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMacLeod wrote:

Extra Tomcat bonus: Sitting in the tunnel to do work.

I'm 6'2" and feel like I have more headroom working under the boat than in the cabin. LOL
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 14 years our Lewmar 700 windlass died. It's been on and off for a couple of months. I had to pull up 150 feet of chain and anchor by hand after our last dive, so I ordered the Pro Fish 1000. It arrived in two days so I went down to the boat at sunset to prep everything for installation tomorrow. Once I cut the wires and checked that the bolt placement was the same as the old windlass I began loosening the bolts. The next thing I knew, I had removed the old one and wired up the new one in less than a half hour. I checked the operation a few times and everything works great. I finished just as it began to rain. Sometimes things work out.
I told Merry I wanted to rename the boat Sunny Beaches because it sounds like something I'm usually grumbling to myself when I'm working on the boat.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the time comes to replace the windlass I hope we can do it in half a fortnight.

We launched today at the larger NAS PNS marina. Excellent security. The two waterjet propelled landing craft make Cat O’ Mine look tiny. It’s very impressive to see the crews run them up onto their giant trailers. The ramp extends to a depth of over nine feet at low tide (a WWII seaplane ramp). They just don’t make boat ramps like this anymore. Shorts and T-shirt weather.

The two front trailer tires are losing some PSI, so we’ll let the tire pro investigate that before we trailer to Key West next week. At 36 months from mfg date they’ve lost 50% of their structural strength like all do; we replace all at 48 months max. I suspect the old metal valve stems; the temp/pressure sensors rotate on top of them at highway speeds. Are there any Physics majors out there to calculate the torque generated on the stem of a 1oz sensor rotating 1 inch inside a 16” D tire going 65 MPH? Of course, the lighter boats are not always running so close to their max rating. Report to follow.

Cheers!’

John

mstrpo

City/Region: Battle Ground
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather for the last few days has been incredible and we had a free day so we put in the Columbia River at the free Kalama ramp. Its pretty steep so I loosened the bow eye strap a few inches just after that stern was in the water so the bow could rotate more easily once the stern started floating.

Kalama is at about river mile 75 and our target was downriver to Walker Island at river mile 60. There's a slough that starts at Lord Island on the Oregon side that we took as it ends as the downriver end of Walker Island. Our cruise downriver was filled with seal sightings. We surely saw a hundred or more in the water during the down and back and probably a hundred more out of the water on rocks and sand bars. I can understand why the fishermen were describing slow catching! There were more seals than debris in the water!

The slough had a very shallow section which left 3 ft below the boat so right at my crawling speed limit. We made it through and checked out the little bay at the lower end of the Walker Island for future use to anchor for the night on the way down to Astoria. Looked good but no protection from a wind from the west.

As we cruised down river, with the tide going out, I noticed how we were able to stay on plane all the way down to 14-15 knots. I also noticed an improvement in fuel efficiency (according to the meters in the motors) but couldn't understand why. On the trip back upriver, the same held true. It occurred to me this was the first trip out with the new anchor (25 lb Mantus M1 replaced 5kg Lewmar claw). The rest of the load in the boat was about the same. Any thoughts on the added weight on the bow reducing planing speed?

Here's a pic as we approached the Lewis and Clark bridge as we headed down river.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
s we cruised down river, with the tide going out, I noticed how we were able to stay on plane all the way down to 14-15 knots. I also noticed an improvement in fuel efficiency (according to the meters in the motors) but couldn't understand why. On the trip back upriver, the same held true. It occurred to me this was the first trip out with the new anchor (25 lb Mantus M1 replaced 5kg Lewmar claw). The rest of the load in the boat was about the same. Any thoughts on the added weight on the bow reducing planing speed?

The 12 or so lbs you added will make no difference (no more than the dog on the V Berth might make a difference.). It could be a lighter boat, different trim tab setting or different engine trim. A Permatrim helps to lowing the planing speed, by giving more stern lift, slightly more bow down. Of course other factors such as clean bottom, different prop cup or rake as well as the pitch and diameter all make differences.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had been ten months since we last dived Spongehenge at Hermosa Beach Artificial Reef. Storms had knocked over the rodeo bar that the Giant Sea Bass used as a cleaning and mating site. I didn't know if we would ever return, but the ocean was calm enough for us to give it a go. This morning, Merry Passage and I dropped into chunky soup. Visibility was six feet in the particulate-filled water. We were only down a few minutes when our old friends came to visit. The only halfway decent shots I got were when the fish allowed my housing to get within a few inches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281
Page 281 of 281

Jump to: