The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 278, 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bottom paint was in store for C-Traveler, as the old was looking pretty ragged in a few spots. Last time I jacked the entire boat up off the trailer, with the trailer still under it. Was kind of a pain getting the jacks and everything just right. This time I just painted the majority of the bottom with it still on the trailer. Then lowered the tongue all the way to the ground, put blocks under the stern, and then raised the bow with the tongue jack high enough to get just enough clearance between the bunks and the hull to get a roller or brush in there.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends,

Not all on the same day….

We removed the Norcold 751 series fridge to install a safety handrail for Eileen in the Nav seat for rough water (I hold onto the wheel). It’s a bit larger…2.7… than the std 2.3 but requires cutting out the std insert a bit. There is still a lot of wasted space in that cabinet to the port of her seat. The new grab rail doubles as a method of heaving ourselves out of the berth. We’d been grabbing the fiberglass seat insert when it was in marina position and eventually cracked the insert, which cost $300 to fix by a pro.

The fridge had a lot of cosmetic scuffing/SS rust areas. I tried spray painting the removable door with Krylon paint+primer, and Eileen thought it turned out so well that instead of reversing the SS panel to a New side, she decided to just keep the spray paint option for now.

In the past we’ve just used teak oil on the teak cabinets, but this year we decided to try 7 coats (one every 24 hours for a week) of Epiphanes. Came out well.

Renogy now has a VERY thin plastic 100w solar panel that can be glued onto a curved surface like the TomCat 255 central roof. I bought mine from Lowes.com on sale with free shipping. $143 is a yearly ‘Maintenance Item’ for us despite a 5 year warranty.

https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

Renogy says just use silicone adhesive to glue it down on a slightly curved surface like our TC255 central roof.

I bought a Victron (I like their products) 75v/15A controller with no plans to add other panels (no room) and a 20 ft copper connector, with genuine Ancor 8 AWG tinned copper cables back to the House battery. I had to wriggle completely into the aft cabin to do it and the newest knee was not happy at all. (Colby, just hire it out).

This all went surprisingly well, and the Victron 702 monitor showed 13.8V going into the battery at 3PM in heavy clouds here. We regard this mod as one to throw up on the roof and connect out the aft port window as needed when anchoring out, which we don’t do nearly as much as you do. It can hang on the wall in the head (48”x22’).

But it is a significant gain in solar tech, and maybe you should consider it. Hope this is useful.

Safe Travels!

John

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been having fun with our boat again. The new motors work great, and the marine life seems to be returning to our local mudholes.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Those are amazing pihotos of some of God's weirdest critters!
Please keep posting them.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, May10, 2023 we saw a C Dory 22 grey stripe, towed by a white van (I believe) headed South on Blue Angel Parkway, between Lillian Hwy and Hwy 98. Could have been headed to the Navy Base Marina, or to the Navy Perdido campground--or over to Alabama. There was a grey stipe C Dory 22 which was at MBT dive shop for awhile, but not the last few times I was by there.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday we went out on our first "cruise" with the new engine and took a friend across the Potomac for lunch. Just put on a Mercury 90 Command Thrust and are really happy with it. Had a nice lunch and on the way back spotted a dead dolphin floating on the surface. We stopped and notified CG and Chesapeake Bay Dolphin Watch. So, a fun trip, but with a little sadness thrown in. 11.7 hours on the engine now!
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was an octopus day. I had one inspect my camera rig, then pose for me for more than five minutes.

A second octopus showed off its morphing skills. They can change their color and even shape in seconds.

We also found another C-Dory.
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat O’ Mine hosted the Official Photographer of the Pensacola Navy Yacht Club for the Navy Cup Regatta in Pensacola Bay. This is the most important race of the year for our club. We are the only members who own (but don’t race) a power boat. Once we even won the Powerboaters Of The Year Award!

We’ve owned a Hobie-16 but don’t know much about racing sailboats. Many scenes looked to us like an Impending Mishap, but our photographer never seemed worried and gave good directions on how to best stay out of the way while still allowing him to get some good shots. Here are a few of his 471 shots:

We say “If no one was seriously injured or killed, and total damages after all co-pays and deductibles are less than a Boat Unit ($1,000), then…IT WAS A GOOD BOATING DAY!

Definitely a good boating day!

Facebook slideshow is here, with more pics to get posted later….
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=183362014693381&set=pcb.183362798026636

John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Traveler has a new custom cover. Cover is made by Lohaus Covers in Cottage Grove, Wi. Colby

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John you got the photographer in good positions for some great photos. The diversity of the boats represents all of the various clubs in Pensacola and a few from Mobile, Al. Notable is the gaff rigged 20' "Fish Class", which was designed in 1919, and for 50 years was the official racing boat along the upper 'gulf 'coast. The boats have been revived as a class in the last few years. Although there are a few fiberglass "Fish", there are also some of the older wooden boats still sailing.
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I found a guy selling a radar he took off a boat he had just bought for a really good price. I finally got around to installing it. I found a radar mount at Hamilton Marine that included the light bar for quite a bit cheaper than a Scan Strut system. I did have to drill the mounting plate to match the radar antenna holes. I added a Hella Marine all around white light and mounted that to a Speed Rail fitting that fit perfectly on the light bar. I just had to paint the fitting white to match. Anyway, pretty happy with the way it all turned out.

gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what we did today was to save the boat!

At 06:40 the Base Marina Manager called, saying Cat O’ Mine was listing badly and “taking on water.”

Last night a series of severe thunderstorms moved through, with over 14 to 16 inches of rain on base and winds exceeding 70-75 MPH. One guy nearby in our county was killed when a tornado touched down and downed a tree that went through his roof. A boat on A dock sank with the engine somehow ending up under the floating dock.

My only excuse for not having the boat on the trailer when Severe Weather is predicted is that the trailer has been in the shop for over three weeks awaiting new 7,000# torsion axles that are the victims of ‘supply chain issues.’ Imagine that.

The aft port scupper drain is well under water, as seen in the pic. I’m amazed that the rubber ‘flapper valve’ kept water from entering the cockpit with the aft drain so far under water that they are completely submerged, and then some. I never thought they would be effective in these conditions.

We jumped on the ‘up’ side and took turns bailing like hell. Your ‘bailing like hell’ tool of choice should be chosen well in advance of your actually needing it when the boat is sinking. Ours is this, due to the flat section which allows ‘scraping’ along the sponson and a ‘hand grip’ for one-handed use that can dodge between the wire bundles leading to the Float Switch and the Bilge Pump.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165526990966?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=165526990966&targetid=4581183927179145&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233787&mkgroupid=1241348861725295&rlsatarget=pla-4581183927179145&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=e74d5993ae1a1a1c525f3d1eaf9a65ca

We also like a vinyl collapsible four gallon bucket which we used today.

I have long advocated (for over ten years) having a high capacity bilge pump on your C-Dory. The factory installs a pump suitable for wash-down and nuisance rain water, but never for a wave in your boat or over 16 inches of rain overnight. This one remains my favorite, a 2,000 gallon per hour Rule Gold bilge pump with a SS shaft and five year warranty (which just indicates quality).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165526990966?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=165526990966&targetid=4581183927179145&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233787&mkgroupid=1241348861725295&rlsatarget=pla-4581183927179145&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=e74d5993ae1a1a1c525f3d1eaf9a65ca

My last warranty experience was when the float switch somehow got kicked over while on the trailer, and the bilge pump ran dry for at least over three weeks before dying. Xylem (which bought Rule) sent me a brand new pump when I faxed them an invoice…no sending back the pump for ‘forensic examination.’

Yes, $550 for two sounds expensive, but our mentor Bob Austin advises not just two, but FOUR with ‘backups’ mounted at higher levels.

One gallon of water weighs eight pounds, so 2,000g in one hour weighs 16,000 pounds. I really like to think that this pump sent over the side about 2,000 x 6 hours = 12,000g of water weighing over 96,000 pounds before it died in valor trying to save our boat.

You should at least think about your options here! If one C-Dory is saved, we’ll be happy!

John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John! Glad you got there in time!
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did water get into the cabin? Some people saw 19" of rain over 24 hours. One man trying to rescue another man on Hwy 98 were swept through a culvert and under the four lane divided highway. They both lived. Many homes were flooded. Our housekeeper's townhome was flooded and her car totaled.

What caused the water to accumulate on port side? Was that bilge pump not working from the get go, and the other was? Or was it failed float or sensor switch. Hopefully not much damage. At a certain point with the scupper under water on that side, sinking is not far away.

There are various apps which allow a video camera or sensors such as bilge flooding or low battery voltage, activation of bilge pumps, temperature etc to stream direct to the internet so you can check on the boat remotely.

Good on the marina manager noticing the list. I have one of the largest Rule Pumps with alligator clips for the battery and a 10 foot hose for discharge.

Ideally the second bilge pump will set off a horn and/or a strobe light (thru a relay)
The second bilge pump on each side needs a separate discharge thru hull.
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

No water in the cabin and (surprisingly) none in the aft port cockpit. A few square inches of the aft bracket was underwater, but it’s a bit below the level of the cockpit floor/bridgedeck. We keep a spare bilge pump and 20A float switch at home and connected the pump to the overboard discharge hose as soon as we got the water level low enough to remove its clamp screw. The float switch still works, though I’ll replace it later. The failed port pump was running/groaning at low RPM intermittently. I secure the float switch and pump to the bilge bottom with epoxy rather than screws. That made it easier to pry them off underwater. I secure as much of the wiring (esp the butt connectors) as high as possible. No wiring or gas lines went underwater except an intact loop of Ancor 10g portion of the solar project. So no damage at all.

Interesting side note…I called Sea Tow on the initial quick look hoping to get a de-watering pump sent over. He said they don’t do that and to call my boat insurance company. That was a surprise and we didn’t bother. It didn’t take very long to determine our bailing efforts were working and no more water was coming in.

I removed the fish box macerators years ago so we could store stuff in there without them being full of water. Fishbox water drains into the bilge to be sent overboard by the automatic bilge pumps. I do have two fishbox rubber stoppers. Perhaps it would be better to use them when heavy rain is predicted and let the fishbox overflow drain out the aft scuppers rather than into the bilge. Two water filled fish boxes would weigh a lot, though.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 278, 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 279 of 281

Jump to: