The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Those are really nice, and you have all the names. Good job. Glad you got home all OK.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun stuff (not)... Put the boat on the trailer yesterday, changed oil in engine and lower unit today along with other general maintenance. If WX is favorable tomorrow, will wash and wax her tomorrow.
I purchased a windlass, chain and anchor, so once maintenance is done, I'll focus on that, before putting her back on the lift. The windlass is to make it easier for Joan and I to anchor, while cruising, more often.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran over to Ketchikan yesterday with the family for a shopping trip. 34 mile round trip. Weather was decent, and nice to get off the island for a few hours.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, finished the Gel Coat on the bottom, and now I have the shiniest boat bottom in the world. Pt her in the water this morning, and took her all the way to the transient dock. Will hang there for a couple of days while I work on the trailer bunks. (The security guy from JWM called me to say the bottom was shining so bright, there were mermaids under SleepyC, using the bottom for a mirror. Wink

Pulled all the bunks off the trailer, now working on getting the captive bolts out --> probably cut them off and pull out from the top. Then have to recarpet the bunks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the steering wheel, after loosening the nut. Removed the old shaft quad seal--(in a nylon carrier). The new seal set came in the mail last evening, so I put the new seal, and shaft seal in place. Was able to capture much of the hydraulic fluid which leaked out in a plastic yogurt cup--filtered it and back into the quart of fluid I keep on the boat. Steering has never been so good!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my longest trip so far, Bremerton to Port Ludlow and back. My phone plotter says about 40 miles each way. This Friday stands out as our first 65 degree day, and we have 8 days of rain ahead. All the mountains were out, not many boats on the water, beautiful day.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of Thursday, the SleepyCMoon is now a "low rider", sitting 2.5" lower on the trailer. WOW, does it make a difference. It looks like 6 inches. It is an easy step in from the fender now.

First step was getting the original bunks off and off the risers. The riser to bunk bolt had to be cut with a sawzall because they would just spin in the wood. The pinch bolts at the bottom of the riser brackets were loosed with a few good doses of penetrating oil, soaked overnight and refreshed several times. Don't think they were SS bolts or nuts.

The side bunks were released on the frame brackets. They came off easy.

Next, the riser bolts were cut off, and removed through a "u" shape cut in the carpet. New bolts, (5/16 by 4.5") were beheaded, and bent into an "L" shape. The bunks were routed with a slot for the base of the "L" to fit into (to keep them from spinning). The new shorter risers were attached and the SS bolts were coated with lanolin in the threads. The bunks were set on the new risers, bolts placed, tightened and the voids were filled with "lexal" and it also was used to glue down the carpet flaps.

The side bunks were replaced with the bracket attached under the trailer frame and the stbd side adjusted 1/2" for the through hull for the Wallas.

All looks great, the boat will float off earlier, and the truck wheels will stay out of the salt now. AND if you see a Burgundy C-Dory that only looks half tall on the trailer, wave, say howdy", and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Harvey bet that makes a world of difference in many regards! But all that work and no photos for show and tell?!?! I can't be the only one who'd love to see some pics of your new trailer setup! Very Happy

-Mike

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have photos, Embarassed but have not put them on the computer and (though I have had some kind Brats offer to help talk me through getting them from the laptop to the Brat album) I just have not had the time, or talent Embarassed Embarassed to get them here. Someday, for sure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing too. I have to imagine it will help with towing fuel mileage as well with less wind resistance. But do you now have to trailer with your outboard raised? I currently trailer with it down. And still have enough clearance for most situations while traveling. None the less, with my current clearance above my fender's, I do not believe I could lower the boat any further. (Well I could, but would prefer not, just for that little "bounce" cushion.) Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Yes I do travel with the OB's up. They were ate about 30 degrees, now up to about 45. I block them up, and have always trailered with them up. Going onto and off the Ferries, I raise them all the way up, depending on the tide height and the ferry approach ramps, but to be cautious, I just put them all the way up.

As to the bounce clearance. The bunks are on the trailer frame, and the fenders are attached to that frame also. The springs and axles move below the frame, so the clearance between fenders, frame and boat remain constant.

Yes to the decreased wind resistance, but I will be surprised if it is very noticeable, cornering now though is going to be fun Wink wonder if I can drift it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I know the thing about drifting on the trailer.... Mr. Green
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the goal to put more hours on the new motor, Caryn and I started our weekend trip in the San Juan's yesterday in beautiful, sunny weather and calm seas. We had a chance to bring the motor up to WOT for the first time. We tested out at the bottom of the range and will need to go down in pitch. For most of the trip we cruised very nicely at 4200 rpm for a very relaxing trip to Deer Harbor. The motor felt great and was purring like a kitten. It is very different running the motor without a Permatrim. We've always had one. I'm putting off installing one while seeing if I like running without it. Im pretty sure I don't. Plus I've read varying opinions stating that installing one would void my warranty, which I wouldn't want to do. I don't think it's true but I want to be sure.

We woke up this morning greeted by Mike R on his boat Big C putting in the fairway at Deer Harbor. He was on his way to Stuart Island. It was great chatting with him for a few minutes. The weather was forecast for small craft advisory with winds picking up in the afternoon. We left Deer Harbor at around 12:30 with the objective of crossing Rosario Strait, the biggest body of water in the San Juan's, before the winds came up. I guess we should have left an hour earlier.

Crossing Rosario was a little gnarly with 3-4 footers and several 5 foot troughs. But we tacked across, quartering the waves and C-Dancer with the new motor handled the seas like a champ. We weren't ever worried as we've been in worse conditions and this little boat always proves its seaworthiness. We were the only boat crossing Rosario except for the big ferry.

We really didn't realize how windy it was until we got into Cap Sante marina in Anacortes and tried to dock against the wind. That was no fun, actually way more stressful than Rosario Strait was. But Caryn did a great job of handling the lines and got us tied securely to the dock. It turns out we were in probably 20-25 knot winds, way windier than we thought. Who knew? I guess no boats on the water should have given us a clue. Disgust. We're now waiting out the SCA in hopes we can get back to Twin Bridges tomorrow in calmer conditions. Just another fun weekend in the Juans. I'll add pictures tomorrow as Caryn took some great shots.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com

Last edited by Jazzmanic on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post. Sad
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter it was great seeing you and Caryn at Deer Harbor yesterday. Sounds like the new 90 is doing great. I'm same way about the permatrim, obviously it will help but can't force myself to drill the holes!

After leaving DH I cruised a leisurely 6 knots to Jones then along the W side of Speiden to watch all the exotic "wildlife" grazing on the banks. Then pulled into Reid harbor around 11Am. Winds were picking up but not rough up here by then. Later I hiked out to Turn Point and OMG must have been 6 to 8 footers in the big stretch of tide rips just off the shore. The passing tankers looked like toy boats as they went through. Just finishing up breakfast here on Stuart and about to push off, might see you again at TB.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 239 of 281

Jump to: