The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure glad to hear no damage!! I can understand the rapid bailing to get in there!! Highly motivated.

I am a little surprised at the Sea Tow response. A person I know used to have the local franchise, but no longer does.

Your experience is a place where a second bilge pump would have been useful..

In some boats the bilge pumps are virtually never used, so they are never really checked.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

We bought a third emergency Rule Gold 2,000 GPH pump as a backup with alligator clips and a ten foot discharge hose that can be stashed in a reasonably compact package between the three group 31 batteries. Thanks for that advice and insight!

The heat index in the shade is only 114 degrees, so we cruised 5 miles to the Ft Pickens section of the Gulf Islands National Seashore and walked on the beach for five miles in full sun after 45 minutes of weight lifting at the base gym.

You really shouldn’t do this unless you’re used to it.

We are re-considering our trip trailering up to Canada to do the Trent Severn to Georgian Bay to Northern small boat passage to Mackinaw and down Wisconsin due to the Canadian wildfire smoke.

Colby sent a pic from Isle Royale (thanks!) and described it as ‘being around a camp fire.’ We’ll defer, since we are waiting for trailer torsion axles and even after that are due for 100 hour maintenance after completing the All Florida 1,300 water miles cruise. Who knows how long that will take. We have lots of local cruising to do!

Get out there and Safe Travels!

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby sent a pic from Isle Royale (thanks!) and described it as ‘being around a camp fire.’

Actually that was in Door County, near Egg Harbor or Fish Creek. It has cleared up considerably today, but still a bit hazy in the distance. It was pretty bad this past week however. Visibility was barely 1/4 mile and smelled terrible. I feel bad for our Canadian friends. Several years ago it was our west coast burning. Colby
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved both my VHF radio antennas on C-Traveler to the outer roof, just about even with the nav lights. The port one use to be mounted on the handrail. However, the starboard one was mounted on the cabin side hull below the window. So that one is raised about 4'. That should give me a little better coverage for my second raido, and my AIS transreceiver. Colby
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed a football sized transducer. Airmar TM185M. It's a 1,000 watt medium cone chirp. Hopefully it doesn't slow me down too much!
1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
tomlee01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures are really wonderful.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our water heater's plastic drain valve developed a slow leak. It kept filling the shower sump every hour or so. I tried to remove it so I could replace it with a brass valve but it wouldn't budge. After thirty minutes of cussing and sweating, I gave up before I had a chance to break the valve off in the threads. I ended up removing the drain hose and capped the drain off.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
mstrpo

City/Region: Battle Ground
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing up a project today:
- flush hydraulic fluid from steering
- attempt to fix frozen AP motor
- refill with new fluid

Unfortunately, I destroyed the AP motor trying to disassemble it. At least 1 of the bearings was rusted frozen and either my work on it resulted in the magnets breaking loose or the adhesive holding them in place had already failed. I disassembled most of the bi-di valve and it seems to be ok. Given the price of a new old motor (RPU80) and the risk of the AP still not working, I've opted for a new AP system at some point. With that in mind, I removed the entire AP system including the tees and lines for the pump. If anyone wants/needs the RPU80 valve, you're welcome to it.

I purchased a gallon of compatible fluid from the local small airfield (Pearson Field here in Vancouver) and a bubble purge set that includes the lines for the dual actuators. I should have the system fully operational today!

If anyone in the local area wants to flush and/or purge, let me know if you want help and/or use of the purge system.

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took four days, but I was finally able to replace my starboard macerator pump from the fish locker with a Whale Gulper Grouper.

I had replaced the JABSCO macerator pump before, and after two failed pumps I decided to go with a different type. I didn't know the installation would be so difficult. It turned into the third case of a shortened hose from the C-Dory factory.

The rigging hoses to the outboards popped off within the first couple of days of owning the boat. I tried several methods of keeping them in place including hose clamps and duct tape. Nothing worked, and saltwater intrusion eventually caused the outboards to rust badly.

We had gas fumes in the boat for several years. I could never find a leak, so we drove with the windows open until one time I heard gas going into the bilge while filling the tanks. The starboard filler hose wasn't long enough to reach the inlet, so gas and fumes were escaping into the bilge for ten years. We were lucky the boat never exploded.

The two-inch hose from the fish locker was so short that the only way to connect it to the pump was by reaching one hand through the deck plate in front of the battery switches and feeling for the nozzle and hose clamp with one hand. I dropped the hose clamp and it slid down the hose out of reach. I had to use a fishing camera and spaghetti tongs to finally grab it and slide it back up. I was ready to resort to cutting a hole in the fish locker but decided to give it one last try yesterday. I was able to get the hose clamp over the nozzle and tighten it enough by hand so it wouldn't slip when I put a ratchet to it.

I was happy to not have to cut a hole, but I told Merry that a boat is a lot like a torture chamber.
mstrpo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: First Night on C-Otter! Reply with quote

Finally, after nearly 2 years of ownership, we spent the night on C-Otter! We had a marvelous time and most important to me is my wife is asking if we can do it again next week! Very Happy

Here's a pic facing west over the top of the boat. We anchored and then tied a line from the stern to the exposed top of a tree that was mostly submerged in the water. This is technically on the Lewis River just below the Saddle Dam (which makes Yale Reservoir).

clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put in at the saddle dam boat ramp? I've never actually gone down there to check it out, always go to cresap. Looks nice.

I saw you at Ridgefield a couple of weekends ago. Not very many Tomcats around here. Actually, I dont think I know of any others

mstrpo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put in at Cresap and motored east toward Saddle Dam. This put us on the very short section of the Lewis River between Merwin and Yale. I understand the Saddle Dam ramp is not usable at this time as they've drawn down Yale to work on the dam.

We're headed back to Ridgefield tomorrow to take some friends for a ride on the Columbia. Looks like we'll be dodging the fishers as the chinook are still open and the silvers are just starting...
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, I know the spot.
We'll be out tomorrow as well, chasing those fish. Should be a nice day. I'll give a wave if I see you
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hosted our Pensacola Yacht Club Commodore and her spouse aboard for a sailboat race, along with Father Nick for the Blessing of the Fleet.

We love NEBOLINK! Today’s log is here (5 page email) with absolutely no input or work from us whatsoever. I can query the external power (13.3V) and also get an alert anytime that Cat O’ Mine is moving for $10/month with weather, start/stop, port/destinations etc with a cumulative or annual report. It’s great for segment looping.

https://reports.nebo.global/c39be3b5-c00c-4ce8-a190-a21e2fdf7f6f/39b420ba-6a53-46cd-957f-c685e5ca8f1a.pdf?v=579171070

Maybe you should look into it!

https://www.nebo.global/

Safe travels!

John

seasonedsailor18

City/Region: Oak harbor
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a quote this morning for a slant-back canvas cover for my 16' Angler. $1600 Disgust

The guy was telling me before he gave me the quote how his trade was dying because of covid induced price increases.

A full cover for $650 at National Cover doesn't sound so bad. Gona have to mull over some other options.

I also removed the screwed-down wood tank holders and filled the screw holes with thickened epoxy after cleaning them out a bit. Thinking about sanding the area under the splash well and giving it some sort of "bilge" coating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 280 of 281

Jump to: