The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got towed home! Went on a nice trip across the Potomac to have lunch with a friend. Beautiful day, totally smooth water on the way over. 10 kts of wind and choppy on the way home and engine just dies. No sputtering or coughing, just like I switched it off. Checked all I could and then called for a tow. At least we have a great volunteer rescue service around here (although I'm sure they won't let me forget it for a while!).
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran over some polypro line yesterday. It pulled the pitot tube from my port motor. Although I have a paddlewheel transducer and GPS and don't need a third speedometer, I'll try to replace the tube onto the nipple without hauling the boat out and pulling the lower unit. If I can't reconnect the tube, I'll just plug the hole.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky. I was able to find the nipple with the end of the hose and twist it on. I connected the other end and it looks fine. I'll try it out in the morning.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from a family visit to north Idaho, where my son and his family now live. Spent one day on Lake Pend Oreille. Beautiful lake in the summer. Glacial water but plenty warm enough to swim in and the lake is huge. Much warmer than Lake Stevens where I live. Had no issues with the boat/trailer. Total miles towed ~1025. Longest tow of my life and over the pass at I-90. But more on that later.

Can’t say the same for my truck. Some time while passing thru Spokane on the homeward leg, the check engine light comes on. Truck seems to be running OK; nothing catastrophic and all temps/fluid pressures etc seem fine. Power/torque seems lagging though.

I pull off into Cheney and hit an auto parts store to borrow a scanner. PCM is throwing code PO478; “abnormally high voltage reading from exhaust system back pressure control valve circuit”. This will effect the turbo charger pressure and result in crappy performance and a drop in fuel economy. Moderate problem, but since I’m 300 plus miles from home...I have a decision to make. I decide to go for it.

Truck made it home. The long pull from the Columbia bridge in Vantage to the plateau, westbound, was the most difficult. Truck barely managed 60mph and the oil temps got up to 242F. My mileage tanked too. I’ll have numbers on that once I do the math, but it won’t be pretty. Snoqualmie Pass was actually much easier. I passed at least three boat/truck combos stuck though.

Truck is off to the shop as soon as I can get an appointment.

croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got repowered! Picked up my 22 Angler with a new Honda BF100 from Sportcraft Marina in PDX on Sat, was back in the water at the Des Moines Marina on Sunday. So much better than the dying 20 year old Honda BF90 I got with the boat. Just in time for the last couple months of summer Smile
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, we shouldered through seas up to almost 1-2 inches for 4.46 miles from our NAS wet slip to the Pensacola Bay side of the best walking beach in the hemisphere...the Ft Pickens section of Gulf Islands National Seashore. We anchored in knee-deep water.

I solved a problem with the trim-tilt sensors on the midsection by spraying a LOT of Boeshield on the rheostat springs and “exercising” them up and down with a screwdriver.

Solved a problem regarding no GPS signal by (eventually) replacing the N2K ATC fuse, which had some very mild darkish discoloration on the legs, but nothing I would have predicted that would interfere with a solid electrical connection.

Social Distancing was easy.

We crossed 100 yards of sugar white sand (ground down from the Appalachian mountains quartz and deposited here a few million years later) for a beautiful 6 mile beach hike.

We’ve been walking this particular beach for over 20 years, but this old roadbed was buried under 3 feet of sand and never previously visible. The roadbed never moved, but the island did...right over it.

The high was 84 degrees, the wind east at 5-10K, the water 78 degrees so we took a dip as needed to cool off. Unlike Thailand or anywhere in the Bahamas, a jumbo can of SPF 50 sunscreen, or a bottle of pretty nice wine, or 2.5 gallons of E-0 gas are all under $10. Half that of Canada or the Bahamas.

We had a blast as usual and love boating like this twice a week or more if we want. Working together, we have the boat underway, or secured in ithe slip, in under 30 minutes including shore power to the 15K BTU AC rooftop unit and flushing the engines for 15 minutes.

In a few months, the boating season will be over.

Safe travels and boating to you and yours!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a few months, the boating season will be over.

Tell me why boaters from Heartland America (and the Far North) bring their boats to the Gulf Coast (Orange Beach AL, or Destin, FL for the "Season?" Pensacola does not have quite the same "Cachet" but the rest of the year is actually pretty good boating also--The beaches are the same--water a little cooler.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had another "adventure". I replaced both alternators, solving the charging issues. Hint...don't buy cheap Chinese alternators from Amazon or Ebay. I wasted a couple of hundred dollars before buying OEM alternators.

A few miles from the marina, the fuel gauge suddenly began dropping slowly from full to empty. I quickly shut off both motors and checked for leaking gas tanks. No gas leak, so it's likely loose or corroded wires between the sending unit and the gauge. I'll check it when we haul the boat out next month. The gauge began working correctly after starting the motors and didn't give a false reading after that.

We arrived at our target dive site and jumped in the water, only to find really poor visibility and surge on the bottom. Merry left after thirty minutes but I stuck it out. I have a new obsidian stage I wanted to try out. It was difficult keeping the tiny nudibranchs on the stage with the surge, but I came away with a few nice shots. Using a black, reflective stage gave the images a studio quality to them.

bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved one problem today and caused another.

It was funny the other day I was working on the bilge pump. No clamp on either side just the hose pushed on. So I thought I'd bring down the heat gun and put a clamp on it. Went to pick up the hose to get a better hold on it and it snapped. The hose was so brittle it had no give. Quick trip to WM and ten feet of hose later, two clamps and the bilge was operational.

Today, similar but much funnier. Got a new shower spray as the old one had a crack and was leaking when turned on. Super simple install. Double checked, no leaks dry as a bone. OK, sat on the toilet seat and that broke. So, now time to renew the toilet seat.

Just a thought, why do we say renew and not "replace the broken part" in the boating world? Because renew sounds so much more exclusive, softer, sophisticated?

Anyone know the depth of the seat, of course I left the boat and didn't measure.... Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bshillam wrote:
Solved one problem today and caused another.

It was funny the other day I was working on the bilge pump. No clamp on either side just the hose pushed on. So I thought I'd bring down the heat gun and put a clamp on it. Went to pick up the hose to get a better hold on it and it snapped. The hose was so brittle it had no give. Quick trip to WM and ten feet of hose later, two clamps and the bilge was operational.

Today, similar but much funnier. Got a new shower spray as the old one had a crack and was leaking when turned on. Super simple install. Double checked, no leaks dry as a bone. OK, sat on the toilet seat and that broke. So, now time to renew the toilet seat.

Just a thought, why do we say renew and not "replace the broken part" in the boating world? Because renew sounds so much more exclusive, softer, sophisticated?

Anyone know the depth of the seat, of course I left the boat and didn't measure.... Smile

Sounds like "Airhead" time for sure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh WOW, I love that obsidian stage. KNOCKOUT pix. Thanks for sharing those.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What broke on the seat? They are pretty “stout”. We did break one of the cheap plastic hinges, but I managed to find white exact replacements on eBay.

Those nudibranch pics are cool. Cool
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail finished.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Nice afternoon on the upper Chesapeake Bay Reply with quote

After a very, very busy week (work calls as late as 10 pm each night) I decided to take Friday afternoon off and head down to the APG marina.

Temperature was around 80 F, winds light from the southeast, and skies clear except for a layer of altocumulus here and there portending a change. Days like today with limited time really reinforces the value of a slip. Step on, prepare to go, ten minutes later we’re on our way out.

We traveled towards the main channel where the southerly winds were causing regular rollers. We cut the engines and drifted in the lee of Sepustie island. It was quite comfortable and though we drifted out towards the channel leading to Havre de Grace, we had few wakes to trouble our leisurely afternoon sitting in the cockpit in the fall sunshine.

There’s still not much change to the trees here yet. I suspect it will be a couple more weeks before we can enjoy a fall cruse.

We took advantage of high tide and pulled Navire out of the water to ride out the strong storm predicted on Saturday. I checked the fuel use and despite a few runs at 25 knots the get the engine warm, batteries charged, carbon off, and bay green slime off the hull the amount of fuel used was nearly undetectable.

I plan to tow her back home and give her a good scrub before the last few weeks of the season.

[/img]
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Nice afternoon on the upper Chesapeake Bay Reply with quote

After a very, very busy week (work calls as late as 10 pm each night) I decided to take Friday afternoon off and head down to the APG marina.

Temperature was around 80 F, winds light from the southeast, and skies clear except for a layer of altocumulus here and there portending a change. Days like today with limited time really reinforces the value of a slip. Step on, prepare to go, ten minutes later we’re on our way out.

We traveled towards the main channel where the southerly winds were causing regular rollers. We cut the engines and drifted in the lee of Sepustie island. It was quite comfortable and though we drifted out towards the channel leading to Havre de Grace, we had few wakes to trouble our leisurely afternoon sitting in the cockpit in the fall sunshine.

There’s still not much change to the trees here yet. I suspect it will be a couple more weeks before we can enjoy a fall cruse.

We took advantage of high tide and pulled Navire out of the water to ride out the strong storm predicted on Saturday. I checked the fuel use and despite a few runs at 25 knots the get the engine warm, batteries charged, carbon off, and bay green slime off the hull the amount of fuel used was nearly undetectable.

I plan to tow her back home and give her a good scrub before the last few weeks of the season.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 270 of 281

Jump to: