The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got that same ladder through Amazon! Definitely put some holes in your boat to mount it but make sure you drill and hollow out some of your core to fill with resin then re-drill. I plan on mounting mine next Monday or Tuesday so if you want I’ll send some photos of the install.
Fish on!

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been very busy prepping Midnight Flyer for sale. Knowing my extensive electronics would not bring much return in of their cost, and having several items with my MMSI number in them and not wanting to transfer the number or get a new number, I've pulled my Radar, radios, AIS and autopilot from Flyer to move over to my new boat. That has left mounting holes that needed to be filled, sanded and painted. All the filling is done, and coarse sanding completed. Today finish and wet sanding and paint later today or tomorrow. Remount one VHF and GPSMAP 541, and Midnight Flyer will be ready for someone to take home. Next up will be reinstalling the electronics onto C-Traveler.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
FWIW, I think that the bow railing is designed for lateral loads of maybe about 1/2 a person, not the full weight of someone essentially sitting on the railing. It's meant to keep you from falling off the bow, nothing more.

My new boat has a bow railing that goes back a little further with more down tubes. The upper rail has a tiny bit of "scalloping" between the uprights. Most wouldn't notice, but I know that somebody in the past decided that sitting on the bow rail (hopefully at anchor) would be refreshing. The prior Captain should have yelled at them.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hauled our Tomcat out in January after the starboard shaft sheared in two. I thought about replacing the port shaft as well but didn't want to spend the extra money in case nothing ever happened to it. Well...

As we were pulling back into the slip the other night I heard the familiar sound of a bushing grinding on the shaft, this time from the port motor. I quickly shut it off. We hauled the boat out yesterday and sure enough, the bushing was trashed. The shaft didn't break but will need to be replaced.

Merry agreed with me that the next time this happens will be the time for new outboards. I wonder if 175HP motors would be too much for a Tomcat.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that with the Suzuki the 175's work fine, and I believe some have put the 200 4 cylinder in. My boat with the 150 Suzuki's would hit close to 49 mph when light and in the 46 mph WOT 6,000 RPM when loaded. So you are probably looking at close to 50 mph with 175/200's depending on loading. I believe it is the proping and lower unit gear ratio's which give the Suzuki the edge speed wise over the Honda's. But you have Honda gauges etc...If I am reading the specs right, the 175 has the same weight.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dory wrote:
ssobol wrote:
Looking at the angle of the support tube for the bow rail, do you think that the railing will support a heavy load on the ladder?

I can see attaching the ladder to the fore deck. Personally, I'm not so sure the railing can handle the load.

You know, I hadn't really thought of that, and you may be right. I'm 180 and now I'm not sure if the rail would take my weight more than a few times.

I suppose that's why we post these things up here. Feedback is always good and I'm usually not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for having me think that through.

As much as I'd rather not do it, I guess I'll be drilling holes 😬

Desert Dory,
I posted pictures of my ladder install I completed today in my album it worked out great !
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teufelshunde wrote:

Desert Dory,
I posted pictures of my ladder install I completed today in my album it worked out great !

Looks great!

I just ordered one of those telescoping ladders earlier today.
Should get here sometime next week then hopefully the hardware will be in stock locally.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled the Sea Star hydraulic steering cylinder off the engine for rebuild. We noticed hydraulic fluid in the engine well, and loose steering when we arrived at Ed Stone for launch for the Hontoon gathering. We made it on the trip, with a minimal bleed and adding small amounts of fluid every other day as we rode on the river. But just the trip home and sitting a month, there was about 15* free play with the engine.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eileen read about cruising the Pacific NW.

When another boat got 1.5 miles away, she raised the Yellow Quarantine flag.
We had it custom embroidered with 'COVID-19".
It works purty good!

It was 80 degrees, 76% humidity, and a UV index of 10.

Colby will likely gripe that the UV index should NEVER be over 2, the temp over 65, and that this beach is not nearly crowded enough.

They should come down and visit with their new C-25.

I still contend that they will be 'looking' for a TC255 within 36 months.

Time will tell!

Wishing the very best to everyone!

John and Eileen

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John. With the way things are going with all our earlier planned summer trips, we might just think about coming down. You guys still virus free? Mr. Green No time to even think about a tomcat now. I've been working 10 hours a day just stripping my expensive electronics from Midnight Flyer, and then cleaning it up to sale. Actually, it's all set to go. The last few days I've been spending the same amount of time cleaning and reinstalling stuff into C-Traveler and learning all the intricacies on it. I should be ready to put it back in the water anytime after this week.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been very busy the past two weeks updating our new to us C-Traveler. (The old Kant Miss). So far I've removed the Radar Arch, VHF radio and antenna and GPSMAP 541 Chartplotter. I've installed two VHF Radios and their antennas, the AIS transceiver, the Radar, the GPSMAP 840 and 541, the AutoPilot (still have to plumb the hydraulics), a Vectron BVM, and a few other things. On the trailer I installed the EOH Actuator and Oil Bath body/cap kit. I wish I would have taken more photos along the way, but forgot to. Especially of the trailer hubs. Real greasy mess. The trailer has grease zerts at the end of the spindles, and they were just pumped full of grease until it pressed out the back seal. The disc brakes were a greasy mess! All cleaned up now with the oil bath hubs!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are again hunkering down a bit today (Memorial Day Friday weekend) on Gulf Islands Nat’l Seashore Ft Pickens section (now officially open), Pensacola Bay side. 84 degrees and sunny, 79 degree water, you can walk or swim or boat or set up your beach chairs and umbrella, get inside dining or a beachfront hotel or marina.

The most crazy observant of you (I estimate 12-15) will note that now we have re-installed the Garmin HD-X24 radar dome onto the new SeaView mount. The poor dome was left dangling over the side of Cat O’ Mine bouncing down I-65, held on only by the power and ethernet connectors, on our return from our NY/Canada Triangle Loop historic canals adventure Jul-Sept 2019 for God knows how long. My 6 year old home-made PVC commode-mount radar mount had broken off at the base, and the attached dome, LED anchor light and loudhailer all went over the side of the roof while trailering.

We plopped the old HDX24 dome on the new mount this week, plugged in the stretched and over-stressed 12v power and net connectors and...SHAZAM! AMAZING, the radar worked like new!

Colby, nice price on your arch and the 15inch would clear our new Coleman 15K BTU rooftop AC. You’d like a 15K BTU AC!

Cheers!
John

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted a set of these this week to see if they would quiet some of the vibration noise of our 90hp Suzuki and I have to say it made very little difference. A pretty easy job with a chain hoist and something to hang it from.

http://www.qwikmarine.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=MDRNG-BP

Painting the inside of the engine cover with sound absorbing paint put a bigger dent in the noise than these mounts.

I will say it "feels" a little smoother, but the noise is no more than 10 percent lower. Thats what we get for running with the pilot house doors open all the time. Some day we will try closing them.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, nice price on your arch and the 15inch would clear our new Coleman 15K BTU rooftop AC. You’d like a 15K BTU AC!

John, if it's not sold by next March, I can bring it down for you to buy. I won't even charge you extra to haul it. Mr. Green Colby
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:

John, if it's not sold by next March, I can bring it down for you to buy. I won't even charge you extra to haul it. Mr. Green Colby

That's a nice deal.
The one I bought for the tomcat was 3x the price and didn't come with rocket launchers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 254 of 281

Jump to: