The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting pretty tired of all the news, telecommuting, tech, etc so the Mrs and I have decided we're going to "Social Distance" for a few days at our little bitty Patagonia Lake next week. Not very big but at least it is water.

In preparation for that, I made time today to install two new fuel level sending units in Desert Dory's fuel tanks. The ones in there were the originals from 1989 and, for some odd reason, decided they didn't want to work any more. (insert sarcasm font here) Cheap junk!!! You'd think you get at least a good 40 years out of them instead of just 30

While I do have the ETec tied to the Garmin to keep track of fuel flow/usage, distance to empty, and all that cool stuff, it's also nice to just glance at a gauge and say "Hey! We might want to think about getting some gas!"

Anyhow, that's my project for the day. Tomorrow I'll be building a pump-up sprayer shower to rinse the Corona's off of us while we're out.

Cheers and be safe!
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few hours underway. Did several hunderd hours boating on the Cruiser all winter and few boats to be seen. Today was a big difference, as there were LOTS of small boats and mid size boats, flying around the river. Some going over 50 kts and breaking many rules, around bridges and non wake-slow speed areas. The state/city marine police and the CG were not on the water. I can only hope there were no casualties.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/dYSuatUagjw
Doing my part for social distancing, I made a solo dive at Spongehenge this morning. I stuck Merry's GoPro in the sand under the Rodeo Bar and moved away so the Giant Sea Bass could do their thing in privacy. I peeked in on them a few times to make sure they hadn't eaten the camera.

Visibility was a respectable fifteen feet for the first half hour, but deteriorated to five feet during the last half of the dive. Only three fish showed up today. We've noticed that the big ones tend to stay away when conditions are bad.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am sheltering in place and fishing is not allowed I decided to fix a leak I had around the Bomar Hatch!
I noticed it leaked through the inner silicone seal as seen from inside looking up towards the hinges on the hatch. I removed the hatch and cleaned up the wood that had been compromised around the hinges and also removed some wood all the way around the opening and mounting screw holes which I will put resin around tomorrow. (Pictures in my album).
One question I do have is what was used around the hatch to seal it to the deck? It looked like 4200 but seemed softer like a white silicone Also what would you suggest when I put it back on? I have some 4200 but might seem overkill?
Fish on!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route out all of the wet wood (balsa core). When dry (you have the time option here), coat the exposed edge of the wood, with "neat" (unthickened) epoxy resin---not polyester. Thicker the epoxy and then fill up to the edge of the fiberglass. Be sure all of the screws are going back in thru thickened epoxy (let it cure), with proper size pilot holes.

4200 is fine for sealant. Factory used a Bostick product. 4000 will be less likely to "yellow", but if the sealant is not much beyond the edge of the aluminum, the 4200 will do fine.

I use Cabosil and medium density filler for thickening. I believe this gives the best combination of strength and workability.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My China virus check came in--- so I ordered a new Garmin autopilot for C-Hawk.
I installed all new Garmin electronics 4 years ago and the old Raymarine analog auto wouldn't talk with the new digital gear.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent today, and several recent evenings, as well as the last two weekends, fixing up Curious Traveler and getting her ready to launch. You can see pics post scrubbing, polishing, and waxing, in my album. Took a lot of elbow grease after several years of being ignored by her previous owner.

-Re-bedded cockpit hardware and the transducer
-painted the outboard bracket portion that stays underwater
-sealed the top edge of the rubrail
-replaced the bait well drain hose
-purchased a new battery charger

The list is getting shorter. Hoping to launch this weekend.
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Pocket Yacht Reply with quote

Today was pressure wash all of the mold spots off of the hull. Sad

Took off the mooring cover and was amazed at all of the mold spots
inside. Smile

Happens when we have a relatively warm winter. Sad

Next will be spraying down everything with vinegar and tomorrow start the engines. Smile
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a fiberglass guy fix an eight inch crack in the head last week. The boat is now clean, waxed and looking new. I put all of our dive gear and supplies back onboard this morning. Hoping to go diving in the next few days. We have a red tide in SoCal right now, so I'll have to find a spot clear enough to get in the water.
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of "teleworking" lately which, for my job, means not a whole lot of productivity. Soooo, I have been making use of the off time to do a few projects on the Dory.

Added a House battery using the Blue Sea "Add a Battery" kit. I installed the house battery in the port lazarette and the battery selector switch/smart relay in the starboard lazarette where the starter battery was mounted.

There really shouldn't be much load on the house battery, mostly just lights which I have already switched out to LED.

I found a Yakima gutter mount rack on CraigsList for $50 bucks so that went on next. Made some gutter brackets from extruded aluminum stock (Can you believe Yakima wants $50 A PAIR for their brackets???) and was going to mount then directly to the cabin top but, I decided I really didn't want to drill a bunch of holes thru the top.

Then a buddy gave me this piece of shelving he was going to through away. I used it under the sink/stove sine we had no shelf under there.

Desert Dory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few times out in the boat, and climbing off the bow when beaching, I decided to add a boarding ladder à la Joe on Sea Wolf.

It's going to need a little tweak but, in the end, I think it's going to work out great.

Thanks Joe!

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the angle of the support tube for the bow rail, do you think that the railing will support a heavy load on the ladder?

I can see attaching the ladder to the fore deck. Personally, I'm not so sure the railing can handle the load.
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Looking at the angle of the support tube for the bow rail, do you think that the railing will support a heavy load on the ladder?

I can see attaching the ladder to the fore deck. Personally, I'm not so sure the railing can handle the load.

You know, I hadn't really thought of that, and you may be right. I'm 180 and now I'm not sure if the rail would take my weight more than a few times.

I suppose that's why we post these things up here. Feedback is always good and I'm usually not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for having me think that through.

As much as I'd rather not do it, I guess I'll be drilling holes 😬
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Ladder mounting... Reply with quote

I mounted my ladder on the side of the cockpit to be used as a swimming, or emergency boarding ladder. my 16' draws so little water, I figure if I needed to go ashore, I would run the boat in and step over the side. Wink
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dory wrote:
ssobol wrote:

You know, I hadn't really thought of that, and you may be right. I'm 180 and now I'm not sure if the rail would take my weight more than a few times.

I suppose that's why we post these things up here. Feedback is always good and I'm usually not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for having me think that through.

As much as I'd rather not do it, I guess I'll be drilling holes 😬

FWIW, I think that the bow railing is designed for lateral loads of maybe about 1/2 a person, not the full weight of someone essentially sitting on the railing. It's meant to keep you from falling off the bow, nothing more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 253 of 281

Jump to: