The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverjohn

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
Last week we had a rain storm that exhausted my batteries. 2-3 inches fresh water in cockpit. A neighbor living on board pumped it out, and my car jump starter got everything going again. The next day I went over to our local marine services and had them check out things. (also did a spectacular fall from dock to cockpit - in a particularly inept move, but still at old age can tuck and roll - LOL). Batteries worn out at 5 years, one dead and the other weak so replaced them both. We are having some unseasonably good weather, so have done a road trip, and will do a longer day cruise this week.

Been there done that!

Broke down and put a rear cover on. Dry as a pin all the time now! Very Happy

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer work was in order, as the boat is ship shape, but the trailer was not. HDPE in the fender wells and a new brake coupler.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
srbaum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer work is now complete... Carpet was removed from bunk boards and 1/2" gray King Starboard was milled and installed in place of carpet Fasteners used were stainless 1/4" carriage bolts, countersunk below the surface.

The carpet was rotted and had a tremendous amount of friction when loading and unloading the boat. The new bunk surface should prove to be a huge improvement in future evolutions.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put in a remote battery fill system for my 2 house group 31s (photo in the Sierra album).
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carpet was removed from bunk boards and 1/2" gray King Starboard was milled and installed in place of carpet

Steve, can you say a little more about this material? Any photos? Thanks. Colby
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed a Spectra Ventura Watermaker. 8 gallons an hour, uses about 8 amps @12 volts. 62 pounds.
srbaum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
King Starboard has been arourd the marine industry for a long time and is used in many applications, that would have been previously made of teak or other wood products. The material is a high density polyethylene, that is UV stabilized. It required zero maintenance and is easily workable with standard woodworking tools.
The link is the manufacturers brochure and there are now competitors of this type of product.

https://www.kingplastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/King-StarBoard-Literature.pdf

Steve Baum
Homeport of Portsmouth, VA
OSPREY (Ex Mister Sea) 2000 22 C-Dory 2010 - Sold 3/19
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The new bunk surface should prove to be a huge improvement in future evolutions.

I have used "slicks" on several of my C Dorys (Tom Cat, second 22 and current 25), but only on the front half of the bunks. The latter two I have only covered part of the forward bunks with the slicks. The disadvantage is that the boat will slide off much easier..so be careful! The product I used was not touted as being "Starboard"--but is a high density polyurethane. (Just like cutting boards are HDPE, but not "King Starboard".

The biggest advantage I see is in getting the boat back on the trailer.

I might caution about making the bunks themselves with "Starboard"--which I suspect was not done in the above case. The HDPE will sag unless supported by wood, or some metal structure.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I did a little more homework researching. I just have to wonder if it's as gentle on the hull as the carpet and wood during long commutes. I replaced my carpet a few years ago, but have a few tears on the forward edge of the inner bunks again. (I suspect caused from when the boat gets a bit sideways loading in wind or current, and the bow center strip and screws hit it, rather than the roller.) I wonder if it would be worthwhile to just use the starboard on the inner bunks, or even mill the bunk 2x4's to allow the forward couple of feet to be lined with the starboard? Colby
srbaum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
Your question regarding scratching was a very big concern for me. All of my big boat trailers were EZ-Loader multi-roller type trailers. If you unhooked the boat from the trailer at the top of the ramp, the boat would be on the concrete, long before you began backing down.

The new Cape Cruiser trailer has been a bear to load and unload, due to friction from the carpet. In order to get the boat on or off of the trailer, the boat HAS to be 100% floating. The down side of this is if you are at a ramp that will allow a trailer that is 30' long to submerge, you at out of luck. Usually it is the last few feet that are very difficult (and I have a very powerful 2 speed winch). If the boat is floating at the stern, then the bow is too low at the bow stop. when you pull the trailer up the ramp and the stern comes down, then the boat is aft of the bow stop on the trailer by about 1'. You have to refloat it to make up the difference, by messing with it several times.

My buddy's Melonseed Skiff is badly scratched on the bottom, where it rubs the carpet, when being loaded / unloaded, due to impregnated sand, dirt, etc. The Cape Cruiser also is scratched / well polished on the bottom from the carpeted bunks. When I removed the carpet from the Cape Cruiser trailer, I vacuumed up over a quart of dirt and sand that fell out of the carpet, (I did the work over the driveway and used a shop vac to clean-up, so that is why I know).

Two things are going to happen at the ramp with the Cape Cruiser... 1. The boat will not need to be completely floating to come off or onto the trailer. 2. Sand/dirt when the trailer is underwater will for the most part wash away and the King Starboard has a raised / bumpy profile, so minor stuff should have little to no impact.

Steve Baum
Homeport of Portsmouth, VA
OSPREY (Ex Mister Sea) 2000 22 C-Dory 2010 - Sold 3/19
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's reply is interesting, one of our biggest gripes with the Ranger Tug was the 35' trailer, carpeted bunks, and 30" draft. It was so hard to launch and retrieve, it wasn't too bad at our steep Monterey ramp but at some of the shallow lake ramps it was a bear.
Our CD 25 trailer is much shorter, has guides and rollers. Wow, what a difference, so much easier. I did put on the heaviest duty winch and strap after I realized how easy it could roll off the trailer and I keep the safety chain on until the boat is in. I banged my wrist pretty good when I lost control and the winch handle spun out as the boat rolled down and off. I only made that mistake once! Overall I even though more things can go wrong and you need to be aware, I like the rollers.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for sharing your experience. I've only owned one roller trailer, and found the bunks much easier to center the load, and not have to worry as much about the boat coming off the trailer prematurely. Shocked I started with a bunk under a Pontoon boat, which was quite easy to load and launch. Then came a 1988 Searay 268 Sundancer on a roller. Old trailer and doing a lot of research to replace it I decided to go to a bunk. Much preferred the bunk as I was somewhat surprised to learn that it really was easier to load a bunk than a roller. Mostly due to the centering issue. Now the CD-22 which has always been on a bunk. Of course it's a fairly light weight boat and I've done both power loading and just walking it on and then a few turns of the winch. A few times at really low water launches I have had to winch it on as much as 3 feet, but again with it's relatively light weight, not an issue. Now that I think about it, I do have scuff marks under Midnight Flyer where it sits on the bunks. And I believe you about the sand and stuff getting into the carpet. But I also like the more secure holding of the carpeted bunk, especially with all the long distance trailering I do. I've maybe only had half a dozen times where shallow water made it a real PITA to get the boat off the trailer. But that's just a fraction of my launchings. None the less, I think I am still going to look at replacing the front part of the inner boards carpeting with the Starboard or equivalent. That's the only place where my carpet seems to wear out the quickest, and is where most the friction is going on between the bunks and the boat. BTW, I have occasionally sprayed some silicone on the bunk carpet to help with loading and launching. Not often, and not sure if it has really made a difference or not. Thought process was to keep the dry carpet from sticking to the boat after it's sat on the trailer for a while. Colby
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got me a new kicker a.couple days ago, hydro tilt and electric start. Practically stole it from an estate sale got the sales receipt and all for $1200

Next install for the winter will be nmea 2000 networking and a lowrance hydraulic auto pilot system

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Told-Ya-So&id=20191103_125211&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Told-Ya-So&id=20191103_125223&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost completed installing my new hydraulic steering system! It gets too damn dark too early - stupid daylight savings time Disgust
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Poor C-Dory Reply with quote

I gave it a pat because it was whimpering when I walked by it's trailer. Cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 250 of 281

Jump to: