The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Dana's Icom 706 lll G, 100 watt transceiver (photos in our gallery). I looked at several ways to install an antenna system but in the end I used the 3 section 23' mast from our Ranger Tugs system, along with the Icom 140 auto-tuner and copper foil ground because it is simple and I know it works. The antenna looks crazy high on a CD, and we will have to fold it down and remove the top section while underway. This radio is set up to transmit on all civilian frequencies including vhf. In Mexico the marine SSB and Ham radio nets are sometimes the best way to get weather forecasts and check in, as cell service is spotty.

We also have a satellite InReach for texting, Dana having just bought the latest generation (her 3rd in 10 years) for text communication.

I also installed a new Standard Horizon vhf with AIS, before I used to have the AIS as a whole separate piece of equipment, but as we are now rarely in big shipping lanes I'm sure this minimal, small screen system will be adequate.

Well I guess it is on to the somewhat challenging Spectra watermaker system I've begun so I can get it up and running before we leave for Baja, after replacing every system on the boat except the steering on the boat, myself, over the last year I am getting a bit burned out and need it finished, SO I CAN GET OUT OF DODGE AND ACTUALLY ENJOY THE BOAT!!!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana is somewhat vertically challenged, so today I added a nice polished SS "folding mast step" between the head and galley windows so she has access to the arch and cabin top. (Sierra photos)
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally installed stereo system. This project has been on the workbench for seven months. One thing that I enjoy while cruising and at anchor, is having music playing softly in the background. This new unit has lots of features, including blue tooth, which not only includes music from my phone, it also passes phone call conversations through the stereo.
The stereo is an inexpensive Sony purchased on sale from Crutchfield and the speakers are all Poly Planar, purchased on eBay.
Way better that 8 track and cassette systems of our past...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a few days at Apache Lake with my son prior to his upcoming deployment.

We had a great time in a unique and beautiful location.

Lots more pics here.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3035&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spent a few days at Apache Lake with my son prior to his upcoming deployment.

We had a great time in a unique and beautiful location.

I'd like to hear more about how you got there. Especially if you drove in from the west! Mr. Green Colby
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I'd like to hear more about how you got there. Especially if you drove in from the west! Mr. Green Colby

Lol... Apache Trail is still closed from Tortilla Flats to the Apache Lake marina. The east side route reopened a week or so ago and was actually not too bad. The Rangers told us it's been graded 3 times in the past week. A bit narrow in spots but not bad. We launched at Burnt Corral so it was only 5 miles on the dirt.

For those wondering, the Apache Trail is the only way in to Apache Lake. Earlier this summer there was a pretty big fire on the mountains above the trail. Then the monsoons came and, with no vegetation left on the mountains, there were some pretty serious erosion issues that resulted in some temporary closures. Then, about a month ago, we had some storms that absolutely destroyed sections of the road, mostly West of the Apache Lake marina.

Even on the best of days, with the best road conditions, towing a boat to Apache is a hair raising, white knuckle ride. especially coming in from the West. The benefit here is, due to the ride in, a lot of folks from the Phoenix area will just go to Canyon, Saguaro, or Pleasant instead. FAR less crowded at Apache because of this.

Slow and careful is the ticket on this road.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a great place for a C Dory gathering, for those of us who are "altitude challenged"...You had photos of several sand beaches--are there many? Also the temperature Oct/Nov. looks very good.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday turned the boat into a work platform and helped a friend install a platform for an osprey nest. Worked great!

However, a while back, I had a leak from the forward hatch. The water was discolored so knew it probably wasn't good. So about a week ago I pulled the hatch off to rebed and found soaked core. Luckily that area is kind of isolated. So yesterday, after we finished the osprey platform, I spent part of the afternoon replacing the core around the hatch area. Supposed to rain today so probably won't get the hatch rebed until the weekend.

Great fun!

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my trailer yesterday after having oil bath hubs installed. My trailer has Kodiak brakes and hubs and 14 inch tires. I had oil bath hubs and 15s on the Tugs trailer they always ran cool and were low maintenance and watertight. Bringing the CD25 back to California from South Dakota every hub I felt was a different temperature, one hot, they were the type that you pump grease from the front of the spindle back and then back out through the bearings and basically onto the ground, really messy. I pumped synthetic Green Grease through the bearings at every stop and brought the temperatures down. I think if you maintained these hubs constantly they would work well but are a big question if they haven't been maintained by the book, did I mention the huge greasy mess?
Kodiak has a system now to add oil bath hubs with an easy visual check which will give me peace of mind.
I originally thought the hubs would have to be replaced but this system works with the originals and looks pretty easy in comparison to a total replacement.
Cost installed was less than 600 dollars with new bearings included and including a 5th set of everything as spares.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped out my Perko battery switches for a BEP console.

I've been getting interference with my fishfinder from low voltage caused by fluctuations from the starter batteries. We had the boat hauled out last year and the mechanic wired the batteries and all 12volt wires in some convoluted way. I had to identify every wire first before moving some of them to the fuse panel.

Adjusted the shift cable linkage on my starboard motor. I was going to replace the cable, but when I pulled the linkage off I noticed it was about 1/2" short of pulling the shifter all the way into forward gear. It had been grinding into gear the past couple of weeks.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterized Midnight Flyer a week ago. Good timing I guess...

Part of winterizing was pulling the wheels and bearings to check the electric brakes. They all looked pretty much the same, but here is after two seasons on new brakes. This also included two salt water dunkings on my Inside Passage trip this past summer, but I also have a fresh water rinse system on the brakes that I used during that time.

Just some surface rust.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winds are blowing, fires are burning in SoCal. Replaced the side boards on the trailer, and replaced the ladder stowage clamps in the cockpit. Lubed the snaps on the storage canvas.
Hoping to get out soon for lobster if the winds die down and the small craft warnings expire.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in Stabil and ran boat around

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the shift cable for my starboard motor. I made a rookie mistake of putting the controls back together before finishing the job. It wouldn't shift into forward gear after I put it all away so I had to pull the controls out, take them apart and adjust the connection. Everything is perfect now but it added another half hour to the job.

The new battery switch solved our electrical issues. Both motors start right up and the fishfinder no longer gets interference from the other batteries.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week we had a rain storm that exhausted my batteries. 2-3 inches fresh water in cockpit. A neighbor living on board pumped it out, and my car jump starter got everything going again. The next day I went over to our local marine services and had them check out things. (also did a spectacular fall from dock to cockpit - in a particularly inept move, but still at old age can tuck and roll - LOL). Batteries worn out at 5 years, one dead and the other weak so replaced them both. We are having some unseasonably good weather, so have done a road trip, and will do a longer day cruise this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 249 of 281

Jump to: