The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: rot in transom Reply with quote

I received an e-mail from the repairman doing my boat repair in Anchorage. I am in Az. He sent pictures of the completed repairs. Looks excellent.
The cost jumped up from $7300 to $18000 but I had no options other than cut it up and put it in the dumpster.
That 2005 yr. boat was poorly built in my estimation as well as the repairman. But it is done and usable again.

Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The cost jumped up from $7300 to $18000

Jack, that seems a bit outrageous to me. That's more than double what that first quote was. Either you were baited, or the workshop estimator didn't know what he was doing. Or perhaps you had some ongoing conversation with them during the repair allowing them to take more and more, or wanting more done! If not, I think I'd be taking the repair shop to court. Colby
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished replacing the AFI 1000 windshield wiper motors with Ongaro units. Replaced arms as well with single stainless arms and new wipers. Followed Journey On's excellent tutorial, thanks Boris!
Here is the link:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23007

Also compounded, buffed and waxed and put new Seal Skin cover on.

Will crab and fish this fall and winter!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today, but yesterday, I spent with friends who were in the process of buying a new to them 2016 C-Dory 25. And it was a great day, with fun times and a good ride. Believe me, that 25 can scoot.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Finally got my name stickers on Reply with quote

Got my new "C-Falcon" stickers on... they look really nice!
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves are still too big for scuba diving so we changed our old registration numbers and gave No Pressure its first good coat of wax in a long time.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drying it out after 3 weeks of sitting at the shop waiting for the first break in maintenance on our new Suzuki 90. Last time I do that. I really feel for you folks who store you boat outside in wet climates. Love my boatshed!

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: First Lock Reply with quote

When built in 1941 the Pinopolis lock was the highest single lift system in the world. My first experience going through a lock today. We rose and fell 75ft, pretty cool.

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent Tuesday taking SleepyC over to Westside Marine in Port Townsend for the annual mechanical checkup and service. New oil upper and lower, new zincs, Sea Star checked cleaned and new grease, Wheel bearings checked and re-greased, and batteries checked. All good at 1455 hours. Then towed home. Good for another season. Getting ready.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the last two days working on the C-Dory/Cape Cruiser boat lift. The motor on the lift motor farthest from the dock failed. It is fun (not) to work on a small floating dock, standing on an 8' ladder, with cold air from the river, keeping you uncomfortable...
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last month or so. Installed new autopilot. Replaced second radio with newer DSC/GPS radio. Replaced one VHF Antenna. Pulled out Webasto heater, took apart, cleaned, reinstalled. Installed swivel mount for one of my downriggers. (Will do other side later.) Pretty much ready for the winter season to end! Colby
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Espar heater install - goodbye Wallas! Reply with quote

Over the last few boating seasons, I got tired of the finicky Wallas stove/heater. It didn't work very well as a heater or as a stove. I had taken it apart numerous times and replaced the wick, only to find that by the next season, the wick had hardened up to the point where the kerosene fuel would not absorb into it. So....what to do. I liked the idea of a dedicated heater and first thought about the knock-off diesel heaters from China. Certainly a lot less expensive than an Espar or Webasto, but I didn't trust them on a boat. Another option was a Wallas heater, as many people on this site had liked them, but I didn't like the top and bottom connections to them, and of course I had already had experience with the Wallas name. I purchased an Espar diesel heater from a truck parts vendor locally and so began the next problem of where to mount it so I could use the exising hole in the hull for the exhaust, and run the 60mm ducting.
I found that behind the fridge and up under the gunnel was going to work if I could only fabricate some kind of mount for it. This area has runs of wiring and steering hoses so I figured I also should shroud the heater somehow. I ended up cutting 2 8x8 aluminum boxes in half lengthways and using them as mounts/shroud. The unit fit perfect and the aluminum should protect the wiring/hoses. (After running the heater, it's surprising how cool the plastic housing stays - it only gets warm to the touch.) I had to cut a half an inch off each side of the mounting plate that came with the heater in order for it to fit.

Air inlet side of heater: (More pics in my album)

I also chose this location because I had found a nice unused space between the underneath side of the sink and the under side of the fiberglass helm seat support that I could run the 60mm ducting. This worked out quite well and then I thought it would be really nice to run some ducting to the V-berth. So, I bought a 60 mm Y connection and with some fiddling and moving of wires, was able to fit it onto the outlet of the heater.

Y-connection:

I mounted the heater control beside the helm, so that it could be easily reached from inside the V-berth for those cooler mornings at anchor.. Wink

Once fully installed, I turned the heater on and WOW. This thing really puts out heat. It is a little noisy at first (sounds like a small jet engine coming up to revs), but after a few minutes settles down to a low-pitched whine. Not completely quiet, but it is a forced-air heater after all......
I have no more smell of kerosene in the boat now, (the Wallas stove/heater was kerosene only - not diesel) and I find that kerosene is much more pungent than diesel. We really can't smell the diesel tank (located where the Wallas fuel jug was) at all.

The next issue was the cooktop. I purchased an Origo alcohol stove and cut the top of the molded fiberglass galley for it to fit. No problem. Time will tell if the Origo will suffice, but it has to be more reliable than the Wallas was, and we still have the induction cooktop when at shore or when we run the Honda 1000 generator, as well as a propane canister barbeque and a canister propane stove.

Wallas - don't let the door hit you on the way out! Razz

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Looks like you did a nice job. Glad to be warm, eh?

I just replace my Ray218 VHF with the one I purchased on Ebay. NOt exactly what I expected, but the radio tech checked it out and it worked, (TX and Rcv) so wired it in. and the hailer didn't work. A bent pin on the multi plug. Bypassed that, the Squelch was a little fussy to start, but works now so there I am. Also pulled the Radar tower off, (the old ScanStrut one had pretty much flaked all the powder coating off. It is at the Powder coaters now, and and will be all shiny and pretty and done by a guy who does coating for the US Coast Guard and done in the same way (3 layers) and same color white as they use. Goes back on this coming weekend.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Harvey
I am about ready to mount my new radar on Sensei
I am worried about height. I see in pictures that you have a 4 or 6 inch riser. What is the Height of your boat from ground to top of radar

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 243 of 281

Jump to: