The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2005 Honda 90 - which prop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I will leave it alone.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Permatrim Adjustment Honda 90 Reply with quote

Nancy & Bud, The "bottom photo" shows the Permatrim to be in the exact position you want it, just slightly below the hull bottom. If it were any further above the hull bottom, cavitation could occur. Moving the adjustment "pin" inboard or out will allow trimming the angle of attack of the boat. Depending on your fore and aft load distribution, you need to experiment with settings. With a 13" diameter prop, you might find that "WOT" can be attained but not optimum speed. Its a trial and error situation until you realize the best settings. Try to do it in calm water!
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got in the water.

WOT 5400 RPM

Top speed 24 MPH per Garmin GPS

Permatrim made a great difference in getting the bow down.

Smooth water with no wind.

Have 3 blade 13.25 x 15 prop that I will try next.
Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Hydrodynamics Reply with quote

Depending on "drift, current, and wind", a GPS indication of true "speed over ground" is difficult to attain. However, "imperial experience" has produced many examples of what works best for most 22' C-Dory owners. The hydrodynamics involved in choosing the diameter and pitch of a prop are limitless. I personally try to keep engine speed to less than 75% of its rated specification. This has resulted in maintaining durability and fuel management. My suggestions are to continue experimenting giving consideration to vessel loading, and don't deviate too far from the factory standard 13.5 X 15" prop.
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try the 13.25 x 15 prop next.

You may be confused about speed thru water and speed over ground.

GPS gives speed over ground, regardless of wind, current etc.

A paddle wheel speedometer only measures speed thru water. If I'm going downstream in the Mississippi River with a GPS it will give my actual speed over ground.

If I had a paddle wheel speedometer, it would only show speed thru water and not be able to calculate speed over ground as it doesn't measure current.
Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Hydrodynamics Reply with quote

Let me know how the change of prop worked out. Regards the GPS matter, I had no idea it could be programmed to compensate for the variable local conditions while underway!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Depending on "drift, current, and wind", a GPS indication of true "speed over ground" is difficult to attain.

I will also have to disagree with my good friend Barry. The GPS measures only sped over the ground...period. The speed thru the water, set and drift are all other functions which affect speed thru the water, vector made good and course.

Bud, You want that Permatrim to be just on the surface, with a little water over it-it is running on the top, not deep under the water.

Often motors are too deep in the water.

A 22 with a couple of people and light boat should hit 30 mph and close to 6000 RPM with a Honda 150, and 13.5 x 15 SS prop. As Barry says, there are all sorts of variations: cup, rake profile etc which will affect a prop's performance. Two people who know the most about outboard props are Tom Clark in the Seattle Area, and Ken Reeves, with Prop Gods in FL.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

That is just where it was running. Very pleased with the performance improvements.

With a Honda 90 I may be going as fast as I can go. Dunno

Put on the 3 blade 15" prop tonight. Will try it out on the Mississippi River on Saturday near Galena, IL
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. The cavitation plate (motor height) being at the surface of the water, while planning, is key, and the first thing to get dialed in. It sounds like Nancy and Bud have done that already.

I ended up having to raise my motor 2 holes before even thinking about trying a different prop.

Raising the engine also resulted in a huge improvement in steering effort since my boat has the old school teleflex cable/sheath type steering. Mine was way too stiff/hard to turn when running at speed, and much better now.

I'm currently running a 3 blade14x13 which let's me get to my engines Max rpm (5800) and a smooth water cruise of 24mph at 4600rpm getting 4.9mpg.

My other prop is a 3 blade 13.25x19. No bueno!

These were the props that came with the boat when I bought it last year.
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

<snip>

A 22 with a couple of people and light boat should hit 30 mph and close to 6000 RPM with a Honda 150, and 13.5 x 15 SS prop. As Barry says, there are all sorts of variations: cup, rake profile etc which will affect a prop's performance. Two people who know the most about outboard props are Tom Clark in the Seattle Area, and Ken Reeves, with Prop Gods in FL.

Our 2005 22 has a sticker at the helm saying max HP is 100 min 70.
Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Which Prop to Use? Reply with quote

Since my good friend "Bob" has in this situation disagreed with my statement that "current, drift, and wind" would affect your attempt to "accurately determine top speed" using a GPS, perhaps he will explain his theory given potential adverse sea conditions as mentioned?
Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: 2005 Honda 90 - which prop? (WOT vs max speed) Reply with quote

In summary; "sea state, set, drift, current, and wind preclude using GPS to accurately measure maximum speed"!
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 Honda 90 - which prop? (WOT vs max speed) Reply with quote

Barry Rietz wrote:
In summary; "sea state, set, drift, current, and wind preclude using GPS to accurately measure maximum speed"!

Totally incorrect. Good for How does a GPS work for the answer.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a run where there is significant current, the average between runs against and with the current were necessary to determine speed across the ground. In the old days, even 0.1 knot of current was accounted for in calibrating a paddle wheel log. One would make a run over a mile between fixed land based or markers which were not dependent on current and time the run. When doing predicted log races, the speed across the ground is the most important factor, to arrive at the waypoint at the predicted time. Multiple factors will determine that speed thru the water.

For example a prior owner did fuel burn curves for my current 25. They were with and against the current. For all practical purposes, I use an average. But with a flow meter, and GPS, the range is accurately available.

For most of us, the amount of current is minimal in relation to the total speed of the boat. But if one was running the passes in PNW then current becomes a very significant factor. In any case, GPS measures the speed across the bottom or land.

Lets say we have a current of 1 knot. The boat goes 30 knots at WOT. If you are getting only 18 knots at WOT--there is an issue. If you are getting 28 knots at WOT, then it may well be due to the current difference.

The post stated "Smooth water, no wind"
Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: ETEC 90 prop Reply with quote

Just thought I would try to add some info. We just purchased our 19 Angler with an ETEC 90. When I sea tested, (in a lake) it had a very poorly maintained 3 blade aluminum prop, 13.5 x 15. It was a very nice boat setup with performance that seemed pretty clear was prop related.

I did as much research as possible, and installed a Turning Point 4 blade stainless wheel with exactly those specs, 13.5 x 15.

First time out today, pretty windy (22 gusty knots) with 1-2 foot chop. The boat ran great, easy to get on plane, I mostly cruised about 3000 RPM, I did not spend time doing much documentation, just trying to get the feel.

The trim tabs were useful to get on plane, but I pretty much raised them to neutral ASAP, I did not like the handling much with them extended, even though it did drop the bow a bit. I am thinking my trim and 4 blade brought the stern up, and the tabs were making me skate.

My biggest challenge was docking, I have sailing been in a center console skiff, which is like docking a canoe. The wind made that Dory cabin push the Angler all over the marina. I drifted too close to another boat, and while everything turned out fine, it was a wake up call. It is shallow there, and trimmed up, I could not get much rudder authority or propulsion.

Love my new boat. I read "River Horse", and got the C-dory bug. Then last year, my wife and I retired to our beach house, on the island, and ended up making a lot more foul weather trips. Our average depth is 3 feet, and in a good northern blow, we can get stranded in 12 inches of water. Low draft and weather protection!

We still have the 19' Carolina skiff, which can navigate a puddle.
I will report back after a few weeks of running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: