View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delphinus

City/Region: Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dori Den
Photos: Dori-Den
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Florida to Bahamas Crossing in C-Dory 25 "Dori Den" Reply with quote

I know this is short notice but, if anyone is interested, my family and I will be attempting a Bahamas crossing August, 2016. We were planning to go solo, but C-Brat company would be most welcome.

My Step-Dad, Mother, Wife and I will be leaving from Palm Beach (likely Lake Worth/Boynton Inlet) and heading to West End, Bahamas. We are committed to leave between August 5th-7th (5th ideally), depending on the weather. Our plan is to stay 2-3 days and return in a good weather window. The latest we can return is Aug 10th, weather permitting, as my parents are scheduled to fly back to PA on the 11th.

I have read all of the best/most appropriate online articles my Google searches have found, as well as everything I could find on the C-Brats website.

I don't want to bother you with obvious details and believe we have done our homework well, e.g., we have all necessary equipment (recently serviced), documentation, most updated charts, contacted Bahamas tourism office, will file float plan, etc. Obviously, the checklist is very long.

I am hoping to get your advice about the actual crossing itself (especially the Gulf Stream) in a CD25. I know to avoid any wind with a northerly component, and am of the impression that we should not leave if wind exceeds 10 kn from any direction. Also, any advice regarding hazards to navigation in Bahamas would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,
Gerry Ballough
“Dori Den”

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you already have checked this out--but be sure that mom and step dad are seaworthy--no propensity to mal de Mar. Even on "calm day" there can be swells. Summer is a good time, but it can be very hot in marinas, if there is no breeze. Also there are the hurricanes this time of year--and I am sure that you are fully aware of all of these issues.

I don't see a radar on the boat--It is not essential, but one of the best uses in this area is to track the frequent thunder storms. AIS is also nice. Be sure you have a kicker or some alternate form of propulsion. Spare battery/jump start set. Essential is EPRIB or at least PLB, and at least one waterproof hand held VHF radio. MMSI is also a very useful

Be sure that you have extra fuel filters. Get fuel only a busy fuel docks. I got a full tank load of very bad fuel--so bad the tanks had to be removed to be cleaned. (This was many years ago, at Grand Bahama, and when the fuel tank was empty..!)

2-3 days is a very short time in the Bahamas.. Much of the navigation is "eyeball" Also beware of security issues. Most likely not problems in the more popular marinas. But some areas of Out Islands do occasionally have security issues. (Probably less than Miami however!)

On edit, I read all of your prior posts. You seem to have most of the bases covered, including a sea proof father in law! Auto pilot was mentioned--and this is one place it is a great idea. I don't think that it is worth adding Radar and auto pilot for just this one trip. The best charts are the "Explorer" series. Probably not necessary for this short trip.

Have fun!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Delphinus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: From "Westward" (Mike) Reply with quote

Transferring Westward's (Mike's) very appropriate message from other posting.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm Post subject:

I hope you are able to go! Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I would "polish" your fuel system by running the tank bone dry in safe conditions, then re-fill with high quality gas from a frequently used source. I'd then also change out all your fuel filters (system and motor) and have spares and a filter wrench available. I might even have a 6 gal. portable along with the correct supply fitting and a few full gas cans on deck, just in case. Calculate your speed/distance/time/current numbers for limping in at hull speed. I like that you're planning to cross paths with other known travelers along your route, essentially shortening your emergency distances. Of course carry all the usual spares and safety gear, but you know that. Best of luck on your adventure! Cheers, Mike.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
Delphinus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Thank you to Bob Austin! Also, have big question for C-Brats Reply with quote

Dear Bob,

It is always a pleasure and honor to get your messages! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my previous posts, examine my boat and offer your superb advice!!

You are correct, my step-dad (Dick Raudabaugh) is quite experienced. My mom (Juanita) grew up on and around boats and my wife (Daryl) has gotten a good amount of experience over the past several years. Moreover, we have plenty of Bonine on board.

You are also correct that I do not have radar, but wish I did... for storms and other boats! Also, I do not have AIS ship tracking... which sounds very useful.

I do have an EPIRB, Winslow life raft 4-man "coastal" (not "off-shore"), para (sea)-anchor, twin Honda 90's (instead of kicker), a 10-year old Raymarine with 2004 Navionics Bahamas + South FL charts, most recent (2014) Explorer charts for Near Bahamas, second VHF radio, may get a satellite phone, engines serviced last month and all filters changed.

Other recommendations, e.g., about avoiding bad gas and being sure to bring extra filters are great! Thank you Bob Austin and Westward (Mike)!

Question for C-Brats: What would be your "No Go" threshold in a CD-25 (i.e., weather/sea conditions, just beyond "Go", at which you decide to sit tight)??

Sincerely and respectfully,
Gerry
"Dori Den"
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a short write-up on this subject in case any others are interested in it. Good luck Gerry. Sounds like an amazing trip!

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/october/bahamas.asp

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often I say, it is not only the weather were you begin, but also where you end up. The CDory 25 is quick enough that you only need a 3 hour window for the Bahama, I would prefer less than 12 knots, but a lot depends on the direction--where you are going and leaving from. There are a number of sites which show with arrows the wind direction, and colors the wind velocity,. These are fairly good, such as Intellicast
Delphinus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Jason and Bob! Reply with quote

Thank you, Jason (“South of Heaven”). I agree with you that the BoatUS article is extremely helpful! We are relying on it, and a couple others, to create our check-list.

Bob (“Thataway”)… Considering effects of wind direction (anything but northerly), in conjunction with gulf stream current, we anticipate (from online info) an initial heading of approximately 155 degrees, until reaching the western edge of gulf stream, then crossing it at approx 105 degrees. Hoping for calm-ish conditions, we will go as fast as comfortably can…like a deer crossing the road Smile Thank you for “Intellicast” source.

Sincerely,
Gerry
“Dori Den”
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before GPS we did vector problems based on measured and predicted strength of the gulf stream. Good visibility really helped. Now you can just put in the way point and get the GPS/plotter do the calculation.
Delphinus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Florida to Bahamas and Back Again - We Did It! Reply with quote

Sorry for taking so long to report.... I still think about the voyages (there and back) every day.... It was a dream come true and I am not awake yet!

First crossing: Boynton Inlet FL to Port Lucaya Bahamas (our course = 94 miles, one- way).
Back again: Port Lucaya to West Palm/Lakeworth Inlet, then south on intra-coastal to Boynton.

First, I just want to thank Bob (Thataway), Jason (South of Heaven), Mike (Westward) and all the kind C-Brats who have given me great advice over the past few years!!!

Four Co-Captains: Gerry, Dick, Daryl and Juanita Smile

Pilot: Gerry Ballough
Navigator (charts and GPS) and relief Pilot: Richard Raudabaugh (Dad)
Invaluable Crew: Daryl Ballough (Wife)
Invaluable Crew: Juanita Raudabaugh (Mom)

We were all alone on the ocean (few boats sighted except near land), independent, chose our own weather windows (based on several weather sites, great internet articles and critically important advice), etc.,...and we thank God the ocean was kind to us!! The Gulf Stream was an amazing sapphire blue!

Photos and full details to follow!

PLEASE SEE "NEW TOPIC" POSTING

Sincerely and respectfully,
Gerry
"Dori Den"
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Gerry! Sounds like an amazing experience. I can't wait til 2017 when I start doing some longer trips on my 25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: