Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: How far to your boating waters? Reply with quote

We have a slip at Erie for the season its 5.5 hrs. Last year at finger lakes only 2hrs. Didn't realize until driving that far that wish boat was closer ,but not to many closer options. With a busy work season we have only got there twice. Wish it was 1/2 hour away,we would be on boat 4 or 5 times a week. Going to try and get up there every other week from now on. Any one else travel regularly as far as we do? Sure would be nice to be close to boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 feet from breakfast room, where I am sitting to dock. Boating was so important in my life, that for the majority of time, my boat in a slip was less than 20 minutes from my home or work--often 10 minutes. One of the reasons for us to retire in Florida, was to have an affordable home on the water.

We have some folks who drive from Atlanta GA. to Pensacola, FL--it is probably about 5 to 5.5 hours. That is a long time, and dedication to boating!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our usual launch places are 50 miles (~1.5 hours) and 80 miles (~2.15 hours) one way. That doesn't include the hour it takes to pick up the boat from the storage lot.

The closest suitable place to boat is 45 miles away. but we don't often go there.

Because of my work travel we typically use the boat about once a month for a couple of days.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...One of the reasons for us to retire in Florida, was to have an affordable home on the water. ...

I thought "affordable home" and "on the water" was an oxymoron even in FL. Perhaps your definition of "affordable" is different from mine.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:
...One of the reasons for us to retire in Florida, was to have an affordable home on the water. ...

I thought "affordable home" and "on the water" was an oxymoron even in FL. Perhaps your definition of "affordable" is different from mine.

Well, we came from Calif. and sold an nice, average subdivision home in Westminister for $350,000. Bought a 40 year old home with 100 feet of waterfront (water depth was 6 feet), and half an acre for $90,000. There were plenty of homes for less at that time. (23 years ago).

We sold that house and bought a newer house, about 15 years ago. 75 feet waterfront, with 3' shoal at entrance to bayou-but about 6' depth at the house. After hurricanes, and the recession: houses are about where they were 15 years ago. Three vacant lost with 100 feet of water front, and 200 feet deep, just sold for $65,000 each. A 1500 sq foot house is currently being built on one. The house next door to this could be bought for $220,000. (about 2,000 sq feet). I find a number of waterfront in the $250,000 +/- in many areas of Florida. (not Miami--but I would not live there). Supposedly the "Median" home in the US is $189,000. Median house in VA is $234,000, but up in the NE area over $560,000...So by that criteria, I would say that Fl. Water front is still affordable.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, it is 1100 miles from Indy to second home on Charlotte Harbor. I visit 3 or 4 times per year and The Admiral a lot more and all ready to go boating. Once there. it is about 50 feet from back door to the boat on a lift and about the same to other dock on a canal. Cant wait to move there for good or sell and move to the ICW
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than half an hour to the ramp in Everett.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen minutes to any of four different ramps, all usable, any tide. But we measure our rain in feet, most years, not inches or millimothers.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down 9 steps from our deck to the dock. Like Dr. Bob, it is the reason we built a vacation home (now, our only home) in the Tropical Tip of Texas. The house is on a canal that leads to the Gulf ICW.

For full disclosure, we are currently boatless. So, when we are there, it is still convenient for tossing in a kayak or SUP.

When we had the home in the frozen northland, we were two hours from a marina on a lake. Drove there most summer weekends for a lot of years. It meant yard work and other chores had to be done after work on weekdays so we could have that escape time on the boat. There is something to be said for living close to (or next to, or ON) your boat. Wink
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousand miles or so in one direction or another Laughing (There are places to boat closer, but I like to stay out for awhile and am not much of a "day sailor.")

When I do go out for a day type thing, it tends to be in a kayak or rowboat.

I grew up on the water with the dock just steps away - that was special and I only got out of the water when I had to. Now I travel to water but boat in a variety of places. Both nice in their own ways.
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 miles from the house to the ramp, 10 miles south after crossing the bar to the best fishing around.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retired early, sold the house, after a few years cruising in a small r.v., we bought a boat, moved aboard and our home was on the water for many years, all over our country. El and Bill
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry: Your slip is 5.5 hours away from you? That definitely seems like an inconvenience. Especially if you need to get there quick to check on the boat before/after a storm.

My slip is 40 minutes from my house. Next season I'm considering getting a Boston slip which will be 20 minutes away from me, especially if I buy a 25.

Larry, I just checked the map. You live in Dallas, Pa correct? Would putting your boat in Long Island, NY or the Jersey shore be a viable option for you? Those areas are only 2.5 hours from Scranton.....Way better than 5.5!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 miles to Yellowstone, 189 to Flaming Gorge, 300 to Pen O Reil (sp) or Cour D Alane, 400 to Lake Powell, but being retired gives me time and choices. I can also get to Washington State and Southern California in two days. Retirement is great. BUT, I'd love to walk out my door and down a dock to my boat.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's not how far is it to boating waters but rather how far is it to good fishing waters. My boat spends half the summer in Neah Bay and half in Ilwaco this year. Both are about 4.5 hours away. While there is fishable water only 20 mins away, the number and quality of fish is so much better that it's worth the extra 4+ hours drive each way (for me). But you have to be crazy about fishing to understand this. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: