The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jabsco 18590 series macerator sewage pump issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,
Your three years may be a record. If you accept Bob’s generous offer of the motor, you’ll only need Jabsco model # 18598-1000 rebuild kit (includes the new SS body bolts that don’t dissolve quite as fast as the prior bronze ones).

Whale diaphragm blackwater pumps are much better designed, and I had excellent luck with mine on the Regal cruiser... but the shape/plumbing is tough for that TC255 location, as Bob previously pointed out.

My own style is to buy Jabscos on sale (I have two in the garage) and a rebuild kit every season. I’m happy if I get a boating season (12 mos) or two out of one. Bob’s idea of a ‘quick connect’ is great for change-outs. There will be change-outs.

You will see lots of web rants about this pump, but most are from saltwater sailors with saltwater flush sewage systems.

Hint: Don’t flush your toilet paper (assuming you have had better luck foraging for that item lately than I have had). We put that item in a baggie in the head and trash it daily.

You COULD convert to a ‘composting’ head if you think hauling a 2g pee tank to the marina toilet every day is more fun than replacing this pump every 2 weeks to 2 years. I’d probably convert, if it weren’t so much fun arguing with AirHead fanatics.

Happy Macerating!
John

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The shaft has a slotted end. There may be a rubber cap over it. If you can get aa screwdriver on the end, and give it a turn, often this will free up a stuck impeller.

I have a good motor, but several of the brass rods had corroded, so it is only the motor and impeller. If you want the motor, it is yours, along with the other parts. (It came off a SeaLand head, but should be the same motor--I bought the whole head assembly for my son at a Hontoon auction. I put a new motor and macerator on the unit I gave to him.)

Replace the brass rods with stainless allthread?
Also while its apart put a stainless ball-valve(or bronze) before the pump(will limit the shineola factor next time) I also direct wired mine to the batt. through a relay with #10 agw wire, now the only load on the switch is the relay@<2a. Been that way 6 years now. Hope I didn't jinx myself
Wink
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
thataway wrote:
The shaft has a slotted end. There may be a rubber cap over it. If you can get aa screwdriver on the end, and give it a turn, often this will free up a stuck impeller.

I have a good motor, but several of the brass rods had corroded, so it is only the motor and impeller. If you want the motor, it is yours, along with the other parts. (It came off a SeaLand head, but should be the same motor--I bought the whole head assembly for my son at a Hontoon auction. I put a new motor and macerator on the unit I gave to him.)

Hi Bob,
I already pulled the pump Sad . The shaft spins fine. I re assembled it. Issue persists. Their is something wrong with that motor. That's most generous of you. How much do you want for it?

Hi Bob,
well, that pump made it all the way up till now. I'm mighty tired of these jabsco 18whatevers. What do you recommend i upgrade too?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During ten year major engine maintenance, the shop (Key Marine in Pensacola) went all over the boat looking for issues. They found a cabin light that didn’t work, the failed 24/7 bilge pump breaker that I’d bypassed to another battery, the freshwater pump was inop, etc etc.

I said thanks, I’ll troubleshoot all that.

The Whale freshwater pump was electrically dead at 5 years from install (2 year warranty). I had a spare (they were 40% off on sale) and replaced it.

Since this involves removing everything from the under sink cabinet, I also got a chance to notice this tiny bit of dried ooze on the lower body bolt on the Jabsco 18590 POS macerator pump:

I trashed the whole pump and replaced it with a spare. Now I only have one spare pump left in the garage, and a prior failed one I can’t disassemble enough to use the rebuild kit unless I take the sledgehammer to it. They have a 1 year warranty and a life expectancy of 13 months, plus or minus two weeks. Hopefully, they’ll come on sale and I can buy ten of them. After that, we might convert to an Air-Head.

Happy Macerating!
John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several Jabsco 18590 pumps in serial. Replaced each one, the last because it quit turning. Turns out it was hair; where did that come from? Anyway on disassembling the pump, after it was removed, those bolts were brass, not stainless and one was corroded.

So I started thinking about using another type of pump. Why keep repeating the same mistake, that's insanity? Looked at the Whale Gulper pumps and they weren't going to fit in. Found several other pumps with the same form factor and operation as the Jabsco. Finally settled on the Surflo 3200, primarily because the inlet and outlet were the same as the Jabsco. Like sticking you hand in a barrel and picking out a random peanut. Anyway, put it in with no overboard mess and we'll see how it works.

If anyone has a idea how hair got into the old macerator I'd like to know. Especially since we only use it for it's intended use, which doesn't include hair.

Boris
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Jabsco pumps one after the other have been nothing but problems, finally did the same than Boris and got the Shurflo 3200. perfect replacement fit and no issues whatsoever for the last 2 years or so!
The hair? Someone probably cleaned a hairbrush over the toilet..
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg and others
I've had the same blown fuse problem as you , after replacing my original Jabsco macerator. I kept messing with it and finally decided to loosen the 4 bolts holding the impeller housing on. I used the straight slot to test for ease of movement and that seems to have fixed my issue. I didn't use it for about a month, put a good bit of water in the holding tank and flipped the switch. Pumped the water out and no leakage from the pump. CoolSmile

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: C-Head by Cap Reply with quote

Well to skip the Air Head vs Nature's Head debate, I have a C-Head by Cap and it uses regular grocery store bought gallon water bottles (get the screw top type with a good handle) for the pee collection. Look for two strong canvas tote bags that will hold two bottles each and off you go to a tree or toilet. You can also buy a diesel bottle in matching yellow but I like the clear ones for motorcycles. I get a week to two weeks of user days out of the waste five gallon churn bucket. Paper waste goes in paper bags (waxed ones if you can find them) for disposal or burning. At sea, you can have a Viking Poop Paper Funeral with some wood to float the barge and a bit of accelerant, major fun for me! Flat out this is better than any holding tank toilet I have owned. Nothing to clean or repair, I skip the ventilation fans/duct (no need in my experience), control any bugs with diatomaceous earth/wood ash/nasty chemicals, and dispose of the cedar shavings/poop mixture by deep burial, small at a time flushing, into a dump station, composting, or if I put the mixture to the gallon of cheap 99 Cents clorox in a strong trash bag + wait a day and then toss in the dumpster method. Nothing survives 24 hours in a 25% mix with clorox bleach. OK, I am waiting on all the disagreements, best part about a C-BRATS post is fielding the fiery darts which I often deserve (I think Bob's comments are always on target - ouch!!) Bob in Nevada
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you married Bob? Wink
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Gotta love the reply!!! Reply with quote

Yup, married to a real nice girl. She hates the smell of a holding tank in a boat.
I had the pump out hose come off on my Cape Dory 36 larger than life holding tank (boat partner thought that pumping the handle with both hands and all his weight would clear a "paper or worse plug"). I never got the smell out of the bilge. I used gallons of everything I could think of including some unusual powders (did you know that they sell feminine hygiene concentrated powder in two pound containers) to try and get rid of the stench. It faded a bit over the years. Taught me more than one lesson did that one. Lesson #2 (lesson #1 was don't have boat partners) was that the hose Least Marine sells that they claim will not let odor into the boat smells almost like holding tank contents even before you install it with two house clamps at every junction and then the small gets worse over time. Lesson #3? Buy a good boat bucket, follow the laws of the land, and when well off shore, Do It Like The Whales who it turns out are critical to the ocean's ecology as they poop like a Minnesota Dairy Cow Herd which is somehow good for coral? Bob in Nevada but I would consider living on an island again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: