City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Canada does not share navigation charts in the public domain. Thus, neither opencpn nor mxmariner offers them for download. Both opencpn (for pc) and mxmariner (for android) offer U.S. public domain charts for download. Their online manuals describe the process in detail.

jd
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey

I'm going to finesse this question, since my android device isn't in daily use. It's not being used at all, in fact. But I did review the OpenCpn Users Manual. Addendum: I checked and whit is sail below is true.

So the idea is to run OpenCpn and tell the program where you've stored the charts. And OpenCpn doesn't care how or where you get the charts as long as they're in the correct format (BSB or vector). For the USA, NOAA has them for free over the Internet. For Canada, see your friends or pay Canada. You can download OpenCpn or the charts first, but you have to tell OpenCpn where thay are.

OpenCpn runs and initially doesn't have access to any charts, just as you have found. It expects you to tell it where the charts are, both for windows and android. So, open OpenCpn, go to the toolbar at the top, click on the crescent wrench icon, click on the chart icon and you'll see a tab labeled "chart files". you have to have downloaded charts, if your in the USA I hope you'll use NOAA charts, and put them in a file holder on the tablet. Assuming you've already done that, click on the place where they are or click on "add directory." Then check the box that says "Scan charts and update database" and finally click on OK" or "Apply"

That should work. I do most of the downloading on the PC and then transfer the data to the tablet. Works for me.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Opencpn or the Canadian charts. But with MX Mariner, you download the charts via the MX Mariner app. The only thing you have to tell it is if you want the charts stored on the internal memory or on the SD card.

MX Mariner lets you download from various sources (usually one source per country). Charts from NOAA are free. Some others too. Others you have to pay for. MX Mariner has a mechanism for checking that you have bought the charts you are trying to download (e.g. UK charts.). MX Mariner also can download charts from 3rd party chart vendors (e.g. Waveyline). MX Mariner also intends to add more sources as time allows (e.g. ACoE inland waters).

Perhaps there is a 3rd party vendor of Canadian charts that could hook up with the MX Mariner folks.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay from Journey On said:

Quote:
"OpenCpn runs and initially doesn't have access to any charts, just as you have found. It expects you to tell it where the charts are, both for windows and android. So, open OpenCpn, go to the toolbar at the top, click on the crescent wrench icon, click on the chart icon and you'll see a tab labeled "chart files". you have to have downloaded charts, if your in the USA I hope you'll use NOAA charts, and put them in a file holder on the tablet. Assuming you've already done that, click on the place where they are or click on "add directory." Then check the box that says "Scan charts and update database" and finally click on OK" or "Apply"

That should work. I do most of the downloading on the PC and then transfer the data to the tablet. Works for me."

Thank you Jay. I am going to try and get this onto my Samsung tablet. Last weekend I had a chance to see Active Captain and it was pretty cool. Also talked to some of Pat Andersons buddies at Rose Point and their Canadian charts and nav system was also pretty cool. (Kudos Pat.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: