View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Water in Cabin Yet Again Reply with quote

Been battling this problem for several years in my CD22. If the boat sat in water and collected rain in cockpit the cabin filled with up to 2" of water. I knew the seam at base of cabin bulkead was cracked and figured it was the cause. I tried heavy 5200 along seam to little avail. This spring I had the entire seam reglassed professionally including sealing off the drain hole. Today I launched the boat for first time and had to take it back out to address an unrelated issue. In the brief moments it was in the water, I managed to collect a cup of rusty colored water at the step to the berth area. I am totally mystified where this water can possibly be coming from. Is it possible to have water in the hull that is seeping out somewhere? I don't know where to go from here.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw holes for the bronze keel band were sometimes drilled too deeply. Try pulling them to see if you get a drip/wrap from one or more of them. The water is possibly in the floatation foam under the berth.
homerjack

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Worth a try. There is some cracking on the corners of the berth entry where floatation water could def seep out.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brass strip is one place, the anchor locker is another. My boat did not have a good bottom to the anchor locker, and no drain hole. I put in a drain hole, glassed in a tube from a new bottom to the outside.

Some boats have gotten water forward from the deck fittings leaking as well as the rub rail.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
homerjack

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I don't have a windlass and don't use anchor locker.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homerjack wrote:
Thanks Bob. I don't have a windlass and don't use anchor locker.

You may still have an anchor "locker" at the forehead peak of the vee birth and they typically have a drain with a clam shell cover on the Port side above the water line. In heaven water, Big waves or wakes you can get water intrusion into that clam shell. In some cases that drain is not intact, and can allow water to get into the space between the hull wall and the basin of the anchor locker, allowing the water to get down to the space under the portal potty recession.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Embarrased Embarassed

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have mentioned, there may be some yellow/orange colored foam in the forecabin (supporting the V-berth footwell area). If water comes in anywhere "above" that it can easily sit in the foam and thus become "rusty" colored. Then later it drains aft...

As said above, the most common culprits for water ingress there tend to be the bronze bow strip screws and the anchor locker tabbing/drain area. It would also be possible that any other leak ahead of the V-berth/cabin bulkhead could seep down into that area and then find its way aft (bow pulpit stanchion bases, etc.).

Compromised core can also cause brown/rust colored water - that might have a sweetish smell, but based on the common findings I'd much more likely suspect the bow strip or anchor locker tabbing areas first. (The anchor locker base may be made of plywood, so that's another thing that may be involved.)
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an issue early on with water getting into the cabin of my 22. This is probably obvious, but one thing to check is if the water is salty or not (assuming you're in salt water). If salty, obviously it's through the hull someplace and the brass keel guard is a likely spot. If fresh, it's rain water. In my case, the rain water was getting in through a bad seal around the fresh water fill port. On my previous 22 (a more recent model than yours), the water fill was just forward of the bulkhead on the port side. Just aft of the water fill was a raised bit of glass that was designed to keep water from flowing down the top flat surface of the gunwale and into the cockpit. This raised area creates a little "dam" and water puddles there. With a bad seal around the fresh water fill port, water would run down behind the aft seat cabinet and then seep out on the the cabin floor.

Another possibility is rain water entering though the riveted holes for the rub rail. That can happen anywhere the rub rail is attached and again water can leak behind the cabinetry and run out onto the cabin floor.

homerjack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thank you. Will def investigate the bow guard first as it seems more likely in my circumstances. Should the floatation be saturated, what is the remedy?
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the floatation is saturated--then removing it, and putting storage in, is the best way to get at it. However, it is probably not saturated.

Is there no deck pipe (for the anchor rode to go into the forward well, in front of the V berth? If there is no deck pipe, then you are correct it is unlikely that water is getting in thru the anchor locker. (which all of the 22's have--look forward of the fiberglass bulkhead forward of the cushions.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - for a boat the age of yours (1988) it's unlikely that the brass keel guard screws are the issue. That issue happened mostly in the early 2000 years (like maybe 2002-2004). It's possible that someone made the same mistake 12 years earlier but seems unlikely to me. The issue at the time was installers using screws that were too long and penetrating all the way through the hull. In a boat from 1988, I'd suspect some failing sealant or rub rail rivets as a more likely cause (unless of course it's saltwater).
homerjack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger. There is a locker but no pipe or other passage from deck. It's salt water as water appeared on launch on a clear day. If floatation is orangy, I suspect from there given color of water. Driving me nuts.
I did have keel damage couple of years ago at tail end of keel from enounter with rock that was repaired and in good shape...
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you might look for is damage to the underside from a failed part on the trailer. This can sometimes be hard to see while fully forward on the trailer since the offending trailer part (often a roller) may cover the damage.
homerjack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, just finished bottom painting off trailer prior to launch.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume that it is salt water (without tasting or other determination)--the water may appear because of the "attitude" of the boat when floating vs when it was on the trailer.

Also, is it possible that the water got into the foam/ under the forward area when you had the prior problem, and appears now because of the attitude of the boat in the water?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: