View previous topic :: View next topic  
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Stern Line question Reply with quote

Any suggestions on what size and length stern line for the Tomcat based on the Pacific NW and inside passage cruising?

I did not really see anything in archives?

Thanks for any ideas
Mike

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a stern line, I like at least 200 feet, and have used up to 300 feet. I presume that you mean a line for taking ashore to a tree or rocks. I also carry about 15 feet of 3/16" chain, with a couple of D shackles for the stern line, as well as 25 feet of heavy poly propylene line with eye places in both ends. The poly propylene is easier on trees than the chain.

If there is a high tide, or the beach is dicey--it is nice to be able to slip the line from the dinghy without going back ashore.

I have used both light nylon line, and floating polypropylene line for the stern line.

Others may have different amounts. I have carried these lines on hose or plywood rope reels, as well as in standard coils.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 ft of 3/8 floating line has worked for me for 14 years of stern tying. Make it a bright colour so it can be seen easily. Many people just use the cheap yellow nylon, but I find that a double braid is much easier to handle and store. I just flake it into a milk carton.
There have very few times I haven't been able to find an anchorage that I can't double up the line so I don't have to return to shore to retrieve. In a few cases I've added a line from my spare anchor but not often. Most times I go around a tree, sometimes in the gulf islands in the busier marine parks there are anchor eyes to use. In the Broughtons it will be mainly trees or boulders.

I've recently started to use a folding 5lb grapple anchor to intially get my stern line to shore. I drop my main anchor, set it, then back as close as I can to where I will stern tie, then toss the grapple to a convenient rock or outcrop. Most times I get lucky and it hooks enough to hold the boat temporarily while the dinghy goes to shore to affix the stern line properly. Makes it a lot easier when Meander doesn't drift with the wind or tide while the dinghy is taking the line to shore. There is always one person on the Meander while the other goes with the dinghy to stern tie.
I also use the little grapple to allow me to back into a beach close enough to step off the swim step so I don't have to use the dinghy. Once the shore party is off, I pull Meander out to deeper (3 ft) water. I don't leave the boat when I do this, but it works well for quick beach breaks for the dog or visitors on the few non rocky beaches we have up here.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1957&id=stern_line_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Used ~75% of it while in the Octopus Islands in Desolation. To shore and back. Only time we have used even that much. Since is all fit on the reel anyway, I figured why not have it. Just have to store the reel out of the sun when not on the boat; PVC does not like UV. But it's cheap, functional and does not rot/rust.

OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas
Time to get some line and go cruising!
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: