The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Powell 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Falling Rocks Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
I've done a fair amount of canyoneering in the canyons surrounding Lake Powell. Most people who hike in these canyons do not wear helmets, although the guide services all do. This is monolithic sandstone so it's unlikely it will just randomly "fall apart". This is true for calm weather, but stormy weather is a different story! There is always the risk of loose rocks above.

There are many places at Lake Powell where the walls come tumbling down quite a few are marked on the Stan Jones map. Generally you can tell the walls will be a nice pink with no varnish stains. Getting up close might be cool but you are playing the lottery.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from a great time in the Apostle Islands, but will be heading back up to Lake Superior and then Lake Michigan in the next few weeks! Very Happy Midnight Flyer is seeing a lot of road time and water time! lol. And an Alaskan Cruise (Cruise boat, not ours...) in September. I'd still like to do Lake Powell again (we were just there last year), as part of a C-Brat gathering, but my long traveling days may be starting to wear thin by October. But I would be curious how many others would be looking to come out on Lake Powell that first week of October? Due to my wife's work schedule, she may have to fly out to meet me and let me make the drive out and back by myself. The best port for me to put in at would be Bullfrog Bay, and likely use Denver airport on the drive out and back for picking up and dropping off my wife. (Retirement travel perks on American Airlines, and I believe DEN would be the closest airport that I drive by and that AA flys into near Bullfrog.) Wondering how the lake levels are also. When we were out there last year, it was a bitch getting the boat off the trailer. Guess what I'm saying is that Lake Powell isn't looking as definite as it was going into the summer, and I'm not really one to put together a gathering that far away. But if someone did, I would most certainly still consider bringing Midnight Flyer out. Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A second trip to Superior/Michigan sounds fantastic. But then too, just think of that last, fantastic dose of sun and sand before the looooong winter! Very Happy

Well, I understand about long trailering drives. At least in my case, "unfettered" long drives are pure joy, but trailering ones are just a wee bit more like work (mentally). Still, I hope to be there, and hope you and spouse are there as well Thumbs Up

I launched from Bullfrog the first time I was at Powell. I found the whole scene there to be easier and a bit more relaxing due to fewer people; the only "thing" being the need to provision ahead of time (I was coming from NW, so stopped at Wal-Mart in Price).

Perhaps this year will be an "unplanned" get together. But at least we know the "non-plan" is to meet at Oak on October 1 Very Happy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lake Powell water levels are here
They are slightly higher now than last year at this time. No way to know exactly what they will be Oct 1, but definitely lower than currently. The ramps at Powell are fairly shallow, so the trailer has to be back well into the water--often the truck's tires are well in. But all types of C Dory's launch there.

Denver is the closest as you drive, at 406 miles, and 6 hours to Price UT. Airports (other than Page) Las Vegas 273 miles from Page; Salt Lake City to Price 119 miles, and 2hrs drive, but not "on the way".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching for a Lake Powell date. I have to be in Ashland, OR for four days in mid-September, so I have been wondering if things might work out. The only other gathering that I've been to is Friday Harbor, and it had to be structured because of reserving dock space. Are the "dates" for Lake Powell looser because CBrats anchor out? Is Lake Powell a must do even if there's no event?

I'm leaving Sunday for Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island. Shakedown cruise number 7 or 8 and still getting the hang of things. I've slept in cars that have more room than the CD 16, so it should be interesting with my wife along for a week.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Lake Powell is definitely worth going if you've never been there. I was there once before a long long time ago, on a house boat rental. Then last year we went back by our selves with our C-Dory. Even with 100 degree temps, we had a good time, and also took in some of the other National Parks in the area. While I tend to enjoy boating by just our selves, I've also enjoyed being among other C-Brats at a few gatherings closer to home here and down at the St. Johns gathering this past March. I believe socializing with other C-Brats and camping out together on Lake Powell would be fun worth the drive also, if it worked out. My problem is I'm/we are doing a lot of traveling now, and my wife's work schedule gets back to being a little more normal after all her summer time trades, etc. (She's a nurse.) And unfortunately, travel perks for current or retired airline employees aren't what they used to be with so many flights operating at capacity any more.
Lake Powell is such that there are few marinas or docks to tie up at, so most nights are spent anchored to shore. (Either beaching the bow, or anchoring bow out, and tying the stern to shore.) The only marinas are at Bullfrog or Hite on the east end, Dangling Rope in the middle, and then several near Page on the west end. Bullfrog is a good place to start out for me, as it is the closest location to the midwest. (Hite is right across the river, so that could work also, if coming in a little different direction.) Those coming from the West would probably use Page facilities to launch/retrieve.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I'd say it's a wonderful, worthwhile trip. One thing neat about it is it's a sort of boating you don't usually get. Like boating through someplace you would normally be making a long, dry hike (but you are on the water!) And not one you can get to with a non-trailerable boat (unless you rent a houseboat). By the time of the gathering (Oct 1) very hot temps should be a thing of the past and it should be pleasant. Even in mid-September it's nice (and the water is warmer). Coming from Seattle, Bullfrog would be the most convenient launch (you can provision at Wal-Mart in Price on the way - or in WA of course).

I've found that staying with the group (or even part of it) is more challenging than being off on your own. By that I mean no worries if you want to be alone - you have to work a bit to keep in touch with everyone, and lots of folks wander off to explore (and some stay with others). (Radio reception is poor; Verizon is good when you can see Navajo Mountain.)

Typically a number of folks arrive and cruise earlier, and some stay later. The Saturday potluck is the big meeting, and then smaller group(s) go off from there to various places.

There are marinas every 50 miles or so, and they have ice, convenience store food, ice cream, fuel, and garbage drop. Plus little courtesy docks where you can stay a while if you like. And then every 20 miles or so there are "potty islands" where you can tie up, get out, use a restroom and/or dump the porta pottie (or pump out) at a purpose-designed big stainless "sink" and rinse station. (it's not allowed to make cat holes on shore because with changing water levels... well you can imagine).

To me it seems like an almost perfect contrast to PNW boating. And the later you are there, the fewer other people.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to plan for Oct 1st for Oak Canyon. So who's in for that date?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly my wife and I. I just can't commit until later in September... Colby
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 1st works for me.
Bill
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect time to be on the lake & we hope to be there. We had planned to be in Labrador & Newfounland still @ this time, but have decided to put that trip off until next year, so after a month at Yellowstone, we hope to head south to Lake Powell.

Jay

Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
Thought I would throw out a couple of other AA options. They fly in and out of Durango, CO only 1 or two flights a day through Dallas, TX. From the Durango airport it is about 4 1/2 hours to Halls Crossing. I have never had a problem launching at that ramp. I think AA also flys in and out of Grand Junction, CO close to Interstate 70. Grand Junction woud be a little closer to Bullfrog than Halls Crossing. I am sure it would be a lot easier getting around either of these airports with a boat trailer than Denver. Let me know if you happen to use the Durango airport.
Bill
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 1 is a good date for me too, and I hope to be there Thumbs Up

Colby -- it sounds like you know your way around vehicles and towing (your Highlander and boat are probably like toys in comparison to other rigs you've driven Very Happy), but just to say I've picked up friends at airports while towing my boat something like three or four times now, and other than just the basics of large vehicle/lots of people/worrying about my boat, I haven't had any problems. I did even pick up a friend to go to Powell, but that was at the Las Vegas airport, so of course out of your way coming from WI. I hope you do end up making the trip.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I will have to double check the flight into Durango. As for Glenwood Springs, unless they started back in there, AA or it's regionals have not flown in there for a long time. But I'll double check there also. Thanks for the suggestions. Sunbeam, not to worried about getting into an airport with the boat in tow. Wink (And I can always drop it somewhere safe off premisis). The bigger problem is the lack of seating for non revenue standbys, which makes our travel perks somewhat useless or very restricted.... Crying or Very sad Colby

Late note. Just checked, and I was right. AA or it's Eagle does NOT fly into Glenwood Springs. But Durango would be a possibility. If it works out, I'll have to look at the route later to see which would be more beneficial, DRO or DEN.
bobliz

City/Region: Kingman
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: catfish
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count us in too for the near October 1st date! We are flexible and are looking forward to finally meeting some other C-Dory owners! "Catfish"
Quote:
Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: